Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Meals?
Unregistered 09:56 AM 09-21-2009
I was just wondering how much you guys feed your daycare children at each meal? Do you allow seconds, thirds sometimes 4th? I feel like I am being eaten out of my house by one of the kids under my care and I don't know whether I can limit him or not? He is not a big kid, or over weight by any means, but that doesn't mean he won't eventually be. Both his parents are bigger, so it is in his blood! I don't feel like I am being reimbursed for as much as he is eating. But at the same time I don't want to have the pore kid starving! Any advice?
Unregistered 03:03 PM 09-21-2009
Does he always eat like this or is the kid just hitting a growth spurt? Offer him lots of fresh fruits and vegetables and make sure he's getting seconds of those before he digs into his thirds of fish sticks (I'm assuming here). But if he's growing, you're going to have a cranky kid on your hands if you try to limit his (healthy) food intake.
AmandasFCC 05:57 PM 09-21-2009
I allow them a sandwich or a serving of whatever I'm serving. If there's leftovers they can have more but otherwise they go on to fruit if still hungry.
Unregistered 05:12 AM 09-22-2009
I really don't think that one small child is going to eat you out of house and home. The reimbursement isn't meant to pay for the meals, it's meant to HELP you pay for the meals and give you an incentive to serve meals the way the USDA recommends.

But other than that, I agree with offering him healthy choices first like the fruit and veggies and perhaps some water. Often what is felt as hunger is really thirst. Another thing you can do is teach him to wait 5 or 10 minutes to be sure that he is really still hungry. You could be the one to teach him the most healthy eating habits of his life and perhaps fend off the obesity that may be in his future.
GretasLittleFriends 07:10 AM 09-22-2009
I'm on the food program and the lady was here for a meal time inspection. I too have a little guy who likes to eat. She commented on the amount of food on his plate in relation to his age. He's 4 and had an adult's serving. She told me I am only required to feed the child the recommended amount for their age. Of course it was up to me if I chose to let him have more of each item. Honestly, it depends on what we are eating and how much I have available whether or not anyone gets more than one serving.

If you feel like he eats too much, it's ok to limit the boy to a healthy quantity. No, he won't starve. It sounds like it may do him some good.
mac60 08:19 AM 09-22-2009
I agree with GretasLittleFriends...........I have a 14 mo old, he is close to 30 pounds. He will literally eat till you stop giving him food. I have talked to the parents about it. I give him what I consider a fair portion for his age, 14 mo old, and then I remove him from the kitchen. I learned early on with this child he will eat and eat and eat if allowed. So I too limit him to a healty quantity as mentioned above. When he eats, I honestly don't think he bothers to chew his food, as it appears he swallows it whole, and in just a matter of a few minutes, he has his bowl emptied. I have always allowed seconds, as long as they are available, as long as the child is old enough to ask for them and knows they have to eat everything else on their plate before they get more of anything.
momof3 12:03 PM 09-22-2009
I disagree with "unregistered" saying she doubts this kid will eat her out of house and home. With the cost of food being what it is nowadays, I too feel that I have some kids eating me out of house and home. I was amazed at what the food program lady told me was the portion sizes for kids of certain ages. Apparently, I am over feeding some of them by more than triple what they should be eating, but they would be hungry if I didn't. I have a four year old in my care who is obese. By that, I mean she will turn 4 in November and she weighs in at 65 pounds and is 42 inches tall. She wears a size 8-10 and those barely fit her. All her clothes are skin tight. I have my own 10 year old daughter who weighs 63 pounds (normal for her age, to give anyone an idea of how big she is). I hate to say it, but I do limit her portions, and she gets NO snacks here other than fruit and veggies. Unfortunately, I know she has terrible eating habits at home that I cannot control. When I used to put out bowls of snacks when we would be outside, she would plant herself in front of them and eat until they were empty, while the other kids, would eat till content, then go back to playing. BTW, at a reimbursement rate of $1.01 per day, it is almost more cost effective to go off the food program and have the parents just bring their lunch. But I stay on for a convenience to the parents.
Unregistered 01:42 PM 09-22-2009
If you are serving breakfast, lunch and two snacks it is $2.13 per child, per day on the regular Tier. If you live in a low income school district or have children who are low income it is more.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/Care/Pro...cacf09-10t.pdf
Unregistered 05:15 AM 09-24-2009
okay, even at $2.13 per day, I don't know what kind of food your feeding your kids, but at $2.13 per day per kid around here, I'd be feeding them junk and no fruits or veggies. For example, one orange runs about $1.25, an organic yogurt runs $ .99, so basically that one orange would take up more than half the food budget for the day. And that doesn't include their protein, their grains, and there other fruit or veggie for that meal. And then on top of it, the 2 snacks plus brakfast. Like I said, I agree with the first post, and yes, it can seem like they are eating us out of house and home.
ecemom 01:50 PM 09-24-2009
I allow seconds if a child finishes what is on their plate, or at least tries it. Not all children like peas, so if they take a couple bites and give it a try, I'll give them more sandwich, pretzels, and fruit , and then just save my peas for the rest of the children who love them!

I also try and encourage the children to "fill up their holes with milk to make them strong!" LOL- generally that works and once they've finished their first or second glass of milk, they are full.

I also just excuse them from the table like it is not an option. "Ok, "Suzie," its your turn to wash your hands clean!!" I have found that when you present something as "your turn" the child tends to get more excited about cooperating. That might help.

Good luck!
Unregistered 04:20 PM 09-24-2009
Good lord, or those oranges made of gold? I just bought oranges for 25 (where in the world is the cent sign?) cents a pop on Sunday. You guys must have some crazy eaters and really expensive produce.
Unregistered 06:55 PM 09-24-2009
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
okay, even at $2.13 per day, I don't know what kind of food your feeding your kids, but at $2.13 per day per kid around here, I'd be feeding them junk and no fruits or veggies. For example, one orange runs about $1.25, an organic yogurt runs $ .99, so basically that one orange would take up more than half the food budget for the day. And that doesn't include their protein, their grains, and there other fruit or veggie for that meal. And then on top of it, the 2 snacks plus brakfast. Like I said, I agree with the first post, and yes, it can seem like they are eating us out of house and home.
Again, the reimbursement is meant to be a HELP to you, not meant to cover the total cost of your food expenses. There once was a time when providers did not get any money, there was no USDA food program. Taking care of children includes feeding them. Charge accordingly or ask the families to provide the meals.
Unregistered 05:46 AM 09-25-2009
Ya know what? I was just giving my opinion on the cost of food. Not meant to start an arguement. Like I said, I feed the kids very healthy food, and healthy food is more expensive, especially where we live. I have no problem doing this, but yes the kids do eat lots more than what the recommended portions are by the USDA. Maybe I'll just start measuring their portions and leave it at that. My daycare food costs are approx $600.00 per month, so the $140.00 check helps, but doesn't even come close to covering costs, especially when you have a bid eater. The gov't doesn't reimburse at a higher rate for kids that eat double, now do they?
AmandasFCC 06:07 AM 09-25-2009
Be thankful you have such a program. In Canada I'm not aware of any reimbursement or assistance program whatsoever specifically for nutrition.
We do have general operating funding which is helpful though.
Chickenhauler 01:22 PM 09-26-2009
If the kid isn't being a glutton (eating just to eat) and isn't a tub of goo, I'd let them have seconds or thirds, as long as they cleaned up their plate the first go-round.

I won't allow ANYONE to leave my table (this includes DC children, guests, friends, family) hungry, unless it is their own choice.

Really, when you get down to it, food is CHEAP and PLENTIFUL in our nation, and many times, the cheapest foods are the healthiest.....they many times do require a little work to get them ready for the table compared to their pre-packaged cousins.

A 20lb sack of taters has limitless possibilities, is cheap, and goes a long long ways at the table, especially when compared to a small bag of frozen french fries.
tinytotzdaycare 09:13 AM 09-27-2009
We serve bread and butter at every lunch and dinner. This allows the kiddos that eat a little more to get full and still helps me maintain a budget. Another great filler is muffins, if we are running low on bread I always keep cornmeal muffin mix on hand and that goes great with all casseroles and such.
Tags:meals - extra servings
Reply Up