Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many Times Have You "Called Out"?
DaycareMom 04:35 PM 12-05-2013
I have been caring for children in my home for almost 5 years.

There has only been 1 day in that 5 years that I told DCPs to NOT come due to being sick.

I need a day off! I just feel so guilty ...
Maria2013 04:38 PM 12-05-2013
I had the daycare for 8yrs and I never once closed, I just don't get that sick
forgot to give you a hug and wish you get well soon
TwinKristi 06:34 PM 12-05-2013
I've called out once? One day I did close early because I quickly developed a migraine and started throwing up. One day I closed but only for 1 family and she knew in advance because all my kids were sick with a stomach bug that her family brought over. I had children in every room vomiting! Plus my dh! It was not fun. I want to say I closed one other day but I can't really remember when or why? I know my dh covered for me once when I had a bad migraine and once when I was hospitalized for staph. I've only been operating in my home for about 18mos.
crazydaycarelady 08:22 PM 12-05-2013
I rarely do. The last time was when I called in sick for one day in 2003, but I just rarely ever get sick.

When my kids were small it was more frequent that I called off. When they got middle school age and they were sick I would make them stay in their rooms so it got to be less and less.

Just schedule a day off for yourself! If you give them time to find other care then maybe you won't feel guilty?
Play Care 03:15 AM 12-06-2013
Originally Posted by DaycareMom:

There has only been 1 day in that 5 years that I told DCPs to NOT come due to being sick.

When I start feeling like I would LOVE to call off, I schedule a personal day with in the next couple of weeks. This way I still get my day off, but it's not making anyone scramble at the last minute. I save calling off for times when I (or the kids) are seriously ill - and that way I am too sick or busy to feel guilty

I'll admit, I'm not one to play a martyr and never call off when needed - I've called out once this year and a few times last year. I'm of the school of thought that "no good deed goes unpunished" and you may think you are doing your dcp's a "favor" by staying open when you feel like death, but chances are they don't care or will come to expect it. Then the one time you really do need to call off, they freak out.
MotherNature 04:35 AM 12-06-2013
I've done it a few times over the past year and a half, but only when sick...like throwing up delirious sick, not just a cold. I also cancelled a couple days when my grandma died, but she died right before two families started, so I delayed their starting a week & it didn't really affect them, & I only had one family at the time.
Meyou 04:39 AM 12-06-2013
I end up sick enough to close about once per year. It's normally stomach flu related. My parents never say anything and I don't feel guilty about it. At the interview we go over the fact that I will get sick and will have to close once in a while. We also discuss how this is my biggest "occupational hazard" and they need to be fully aware that I will work through most illness but that if I feel I need to close, that's it I'm closing.
Blackcat31 06:03 AM 12-06-2013
Once in 21 yrs.

Buuuut, I am one of those odd ducks that RARELY, if ever, gets sick.

I don't know why, I just don't.
Nellie 06:45 AM 12-06-2013
I have called off 2 X's in the last 5 years.
Crazy8 07:01 AM 12-06-2013
I think maybe 2-3 times in my 13 years doing this. Once was when my son had RSV and I only had one boy scheduled anyway and once was when I had spent the night in the ER with my dad - I had only 2 dc kids coming and told them I could be home by 7am if they really needed care and both said no, they'd be fine for me to stay at the hospital so not sure that really counts. There may have been one or two other times in the last 13 years but it is definitely a rarity!

If you really need a day off schedule one. I think that is different than calling out/off - give families some notice. I take paid vacation each year and have even closed w/o pay a few times here and there for different occassions but always with plenty of notice.
AnneCordelia 08:58 AM 12-06-2013
I have closed twice in three years due to a vomiting bug.
Annalee 09:04 AM 12-06-2013

Most of my "called off" days have been due to family emergencies (funeral, injuries, sickness).....have done this around 5 times in 20-plus years. Some of these emergencies took more than one day, and I didn't lose any kids over it.. I plan my own appointments around my days off or on days I know I will only have enough kids for one caregiver. My mom is my assistant so it works out well for both of us.
melilley 10:45 AM 12-06-2013
I have never called off, but I've only been open for just about a year.
But before I opened I worked in a couple of centers for 10 years and only called in once and had a hard time doing that! Other than that, I always went in and then home if I could.

I rarely ever get sick either though.
KDC 12:22 PM 12-06-2013
I've called 'off' 2 x's this year. I tested positive for Influenza A, had a fever of 103 and could NOT have watched kids, NOR did I want to pass along my cooties. My families understand, and were not upset and wished me well. I get frequent migraines, but my DH usually covers for an hour or two while I rest to get rid of it (my families and licensing know he's a back-up!)

I would say in the past 8 years... maybe 5 times total. I don't like to do it, but if it's hazardous to others or myself then I do it.
SSWonders 12:33 PM 12-06-2013
Once in 24 years. I've been lucky enough to have had assistants that can run things when I haven't been able to work.
Lorri 04:21 PM 12-06-2013
I really ever get sick, but when I do it's a big one. The last time it was a day I broke my leg and that was five years ago. But I have 2 helpers also. 2 years ago, my gall bladder about exploded and was in the hospital 3 days but they covered and I didn't have to closed last up year we all took turned with the flu and the parents had the choice to bring the kids here or not
Unregistered 04:24 PM 12-06-2013

I called out when I had pneumonia and strep in 06. I was also pregnant! I was miserable and very very ill. Ended up hospitalized. Had one parent get upset but the rest were understanding that um....I was HOSPITALIZED!

I did not call out any other time, no matter how sick I was from 2002-2012 when I quit DC
kitykids3 04:34 PM 12-06-2013
I get sick a lot, like today, but only call off if really really need to.
I've been open 7 years.
Called off one day from being in the hospital for MRSA, the rest of the week my assistants covered it all.
Called off one day when got an unexpected cortisone shot in my knee and woke up in middle of night not being able to walk and then one other time when I pulled my back.
I have closed early one day too due to throwing up, horrible tummy virus.
sahm1225 08:10 PM 12-06-2013
Three in 4 years. The first was because my husband was having chest pains and I was rushing him to the ER. The second was because we all (dh, assistants, kids, me) got the stomach flu. The third was because of our wonderful city sewers backing up and water came into our house.
I have assistants and I just took a sick day recently for the stomach flu and earlier this year for vertigo. Then I took 3 weeks off when I had my baby and for her surgery/medical Visits.

Every single time, no one complained. I have been very blessed with amazing families
dalman 08:23 PM 12-06-2013
Not once in twenty seven years. If I get sick, unfortunately for me, it is usually on the weekends. When I had shigellosis, my assistants ran the daycare for the week.
Tags:sick provider
Reply Up