Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Picking Up Early
Ariana 12:15 PM 09-01-2017
I have had many parents over the years saying they will pick up early and only end up doing so 25% of the time. I usually wake their kids up in order to diaper them and feed them snack and then we end up twiddling our thumbs waiting for no shows

What do you guys normally do? Sitting here waiting for grandparents to get the kids about 1/2 hour past when they said they would
Baby Beluga 12:22 PM 09-01-2017
I go about my normal day. I don't wake anyone early, don't keep anyone up, etc for the very reason you mentioned.
sharlan 12:26 PM 09-01-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I go about my normal day. I don't wake anyone early, don't keep anyone up, etc for the very reason you mentioned.
This is exactly how I handle it.
happymom 12:36 PM 09-01-2017
Grandparents love to do this.

My in-laws will plan to pick up my kids from daycare for no other reason but they want to spend time with them. I notify daycare, and IN LAWS DAWDLE THEIR WAY AROUND TOWN BEFORE PICKING UP MY KIDS.

It sure makes me feel awful.
Rockgirl 12:41 PM 09-01-2017
I've started telling them to call or text when they are about to head over.
storybookending 02:04 PM 09-01-2017
I've only been at this a year and I already don't listen when anyone says they are coming early. I'm not sure anyone has been truthfu so far. I just go about my day now and try not to get excited about having a lighter load because it has yet to happen. If the child is sleeping I'll wake them only when an authorized pick up person is IN my kitchen.
Ariana 02:22 PM 09-01-2017
I am glad I am not the only one! The poor baby was so tired when I woke her and turns out there was no reason to wake her early. She could have finished her nap and I would have still had plenty of time for diapering and snack

I will start either asking them to text or just follow my regular routine because they probably won't text either. This is the second strike with this family too.
Rockgirl 02:40 PM 09-01-2017
What gets me is when they drop off and say, "He has a dr's appt at 12:30, so I'll pick him up at 12:00. Parent rushes in the door at 12:27, and still has to drive across town to the dr's office. Happens ALL THE TIME.
lovemykidstoo 03:08 PM 09-01-2017
YES! I used to fall for that and get the child up and ready, but not anymore. Had dcd say this morning that he would be there between 12-4 to get his child because he had the day off. I told him to text me first. Came at 5:00 (regular time). So dcb was here 9 1/2 hrs on daddys day off.
knoxmomof2 03:53 PM 09-01-2017
Same as the others, I learned to go about my day- unless the parent is always there when they say they will be - then I'll plan on it.
Indoorvoice 04:53 PM 09-01-2017
I also just tell them to text me when they're on their way so I can get their child ready. If they don't text, my door is locked and I might not hear them. Oops!
daycare 05:03 PM 09-01-2017
Same as PP. text me when you're on your way. I don't do anything until they text me. Sometimes I even don't lift a finger until I see the parent in my drive way. I don't mind they pick up early at all, but I'm not going to make the kid wait. Waiting is hard no matter how old you are.
Ariana 06:15 PM 09-01-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
Same as PP. text me when you're on your way. I don't do anything until they text me. Sometimes I even don't lift a finger until I see the parent in my drive way. I don't mind they pick up early at all, but I'm not going to make the kid wait. Waiting is hard no matter how old you are.
This exactly! This child already has a lot of anxiety and he was at the window anxiously asking where grandma was for 45 minutes. Ugh. Never again!
Ariana 06:16 PM 09-01-2017
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
YES! I used to fall for that and get the child up and ready, but not anymore. Had dcd say this morning that he would be there between 12-4 to get his child because he had the day off. I told him to text me first. Came at 5:00 (regular time). So dcb was here 9 1/2 hrs on daddys day off.
Sounds like the family that just left my care. Mom would come at 4 to get them every Monday because she got off work early. Turns out she got off work at 2pm and half the time she had Monday off!
HappyEverAfter 06:40 PM 09-01-2017
I'm fairly new at this but what has been working well for me is not being concerned about them picking up at a different time than usual and just going about my routine as normal. They can show up at anytime of the day and whatever is going on they just have to deal with it. I've had parents have to wait while their infant finished a bottle or wait while we changed diapers or wake a child up from a nap. Naptimes and mealtimes are set times so if they show up during those times they just have to go with my flow. It hasn't been a problem at all.
lovemykidstoo 06:42 PM 09-01-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Sounds like the family that just left my care. Mom would come at 4 to get them every Monday because she got off work early. Turns out she got off work at 2pm and half the time she had Monday off!
UGH! Drives me crazy. I mean, I get parents getting stuff done and everything and I know I shouldn't care because they're paying me, but I swear this group of kids, you would think the parents never ever get a day off. These kids are here every single day, from open to close no matter what. This one in particular has severe behavior issues and I think that's why they bring him no matter what. They say he's worse at home than he is for me. Maybe he's acting out for them because they don't pay attention to him. How about 1/2 a day take him to the zoo or something. I feel really bad for him.
Mom2Two 02:08 PM 09-02-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:

Yes, if they wanted to pick up during nap time once in a while, I would just wake up the child on arrival and carry and hand over the child. No way would I wake them up early enough to feed them a snack or do a diaper. Parents should plan that they will actually care for their child after they take them. Except for tiny babies, kids can eat a snack in the car provided by the parent. They shouldn't be taking a child to a place they can't change the diaper.

Once in a while I get a child ready for pick up, but generally speaking, no.

If they had a stinky dipe during nap though, I do offer to change the child before the child leaves--too unpleasant for the child.
Reply Up