Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Kicked Out of Daycare After Complaint Filed
Unregistered 06:33 PM 12-16-2019
Hello, there was an issue with child running out of the daycare after he saw his grandmother outside (arriving to pick him up). Daycare informed me of the incident and I apologized and immediately addressed the issue with my child on why that’s dangerous and can’t happen again. When I asked the daycare how he managed to make it from outside on the playground (where he saw grandma), through the building, and out of the front door without adult intervention, I was told it was my responsibility to teach him better. She very clearly stated that and stressed that she is state compliant and doesn’t employee hall monitors. After several days of trying to resolve the issue with the director, I filed a state complaint. They confirmed there were violations in place on the daycares behalf. She immediately dismissed me when I informed her I filed the complaint. Granted, I was already looking for alternatives, is she allowed to immediately dismiss me over their error? I’m concerned this will effect me being able to secure a new daycare.
Michael 07:04 PM 12-16-2019
That's called wrongful termination. IMO You should seek compensation in small claims court for lost wages and other expenses the longer your unemployment continues.

Here is another thread regarding Wrongful Termination: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22918
Rockgirl 05:42 AM 12-17-2019
If I’m understanding correctly, it was your child who ran out to his grandma arriving to pick him up? You’re not employed at the daycare, right?
Cat Herder 06:06 AM 12-17-2019
It is well within your rights to file a report. You no longer trust this facility to meet your child's needs.

She is well within her rights to terminate your contract. You have proven you no longer trust this facility and are now a known threat to her continued income.

Good luck in your search.
Blackcat31 06:17 AM 12-17-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hello, there was an issue with child running out of the daycare after he saw his grandmother outside (arriving to pick him up). Daycare informed me of the incident and I apologized and immediately addressed the issue with my child on why that’s dangerous and can’t happen again. When I asked the daycare how he managed to make it from outside on the playground (where he saw grandma), through the building, and out of the front door without adult intervention, I was told it was my responsibility to teach him better. She very clearly stated that and stressed that she is state compliant and doesn’t employee hall monitors. After several days of trying to resolve the issue with the director, I filed a state complaint. They confirmed there were violations in place on the daycares behalf. She immediately dismissed me when I informed her I filed the complaint. Granted, I was already looking for alternatives, is she allowed to immediately dismiss me over their error? I’m concerned this will effect me being able to secure a new daycare.
I would've termed you as well for reporting.

However, I would like to hear more about the back and forth that occurred that prompted you to report in the first place... what was said between you and the director and what do you mean you were unable to resolve the issue?

I don't understand what there was to resolve....

Your child ran out, they were unable to contain him.
There could be fault on both sides depending on what the situation was.

As for this situation affecting your ability to secure daycare; some times that is true if the new facility "talks" with the previous one and sometimes it's not a deciding factor at all.

Personally, I don't care what happened at a child's previous daycare as I am only concerned with my program and my program's ability to meet your needs and vice versa so being terminated from a past provider would play no role in my decision to enroll or not enroll you/your child.

I am sure there are others that feel/do the opposite.

Bottom line however, any parent that felt the need to report me to the state because of unresolved conflict would be terminated from my program as well. It's vital that parents and providers be able to work together to address issues AND solve them.

I would also assume you wouldn't want to continue having your child attend a facility that you felt was bad enough to report so I see this as a good thing for both you and the facility.
Cat Herder 06:35 AM 12-17-2019
I am also curious about the age of your child.
Unregistered 07:13 AM 12-17-2019
Thanks for your input. My child is three.

When she originally called to inform me of the incident I immediately addressed it with my child and went over why it’s dangerous to open doors and how you can never leave your teacher etc. I assumed my portion of the responsibility to prevent that from happening again.

I told the daycare the following morning (again) that I had concerns about how no adult was present to stop him, his teacher didn’t stop him, etc. the director became irate and said multiple things like “it’s my responsibility to teach him better, I think my child does no wrong, he behaves better when my husband drops him off” just several inappropriate comments that were not warranted. Due to how quickly her temper and the situation was escalating, I excused myself from the conversation and said we would try again after she’s had time to cool off.

I wanted to contact the owner about her unprofessional behavior and temper, so when I went for pickup that evening I checked the contact board listed to see if he owners number was available. It wasn’t, so I left.

Well, that evening the director called me. Again, being a hothead. She said “my employees saw you taking pictures of the state hotline so we just decided to go ahead and file an incident report” I informed her that I took no pictures, and that I was checking the board for the owners number to address how poorly this is being handled.

The owner, apparently her mother, was with her and said “I’m not saying anything (the director) hasn’t already said. So I said great. Again expressed that we had a shared responsibility to keep the children safe and all I am looking for is for them to accept some portion of the responsibility. I mentioned that the “you think your child does no wrong” comment was unwarranted and gave examples of how I am always involved with the day to days of my children. She said “well these teachers talk and that’s what your reputation is”. That’s extremely unprofessional.

I called state Monday morning, described the situation, they confirmed that there were in fact violations in place, and I filed a complaint. Monday afternoon at pickup I told the director “since we have not been able to see eye to eye on this I did call the state. They advised me that a complaint was warranted, so I moved forward with it. I’m letting you know in advance so nothing catches you off guard” then she said “today is your last day”

I also pointed out to the owner (while she was on the phone during our conversation) that I have been a long time user of the facility, I have never had a complaint or issue, and the level this has escalated to was completely preventable. She LAUGHED and said “that’s what they all say”. This is new management that bought the daycare within the last 90 days.

Ultimately, I was hoping to resolve the issue, because my children did love their teachers. I believe this could have been a teachable moment for us all. My child, myself, and the facility. I’m disappointed in the way this transpired.
Unregistered 07:18 AM 12-17-2019
At the end of the day all she had to say was “I’m glad you addressed it with your child to prevent this from happening again. We will also do our part to prevent another situation like this from happening” and I would have been 100% satisfied and left it at that. The personal insults, not taking any portion of responsibility, and calling me after hours being hostile is what made this go from 0-100. It was all preventable and I do believe she should be held accountable for her unprofessional behavior.
Cat Herder 07:20 AM 12-17-2019
At 3, I agree it was their duty to keep him from being able to run out. My doors stay locked. You would be shocked that some states actually prohibit the provider from being able to lock their doors.

I was screening for a possible 12-year-old after-schooler whose. Yes, that has happened.
Unregistered 07:32 AM 12-17-2019
Yes, we live in a state the requires doors to be unlocked so kids can escape in case of a fire. They do, however, have a requirement where teachers have to have a “playground supervision plan” in place to avoid such instances. Doors that lock to get in, walkie talkies for teachers to communicate, etc. According to the state rep I spoke to. Did they have grounds to immediately dismiss me?
Cat Herder 07:42 AM 12-17-2019
Yes, we live in a state the requires doors to be unlocked so kids can escape in case of a fire. They do, however, have a requirement where teachers have to have a “playground supervision plan” in place to avoid such instances. Doors that lock to get in, walkie talkies for teachers to communicate, etc. According to the state rep I spoke to. Did they have grounds to immediately dismiss me?
They can terminate your contract for any reason at all. It is their right. They can't terminate a child without a documented plan of improvement (in some states), but adults have no such protection.

I fully understand and support your decision to report. Seems front door should lock and all other doors that lead to fenced playgrounds be unlocked. I do recommend checking out your handbook to find out if they owe you your deposit and a refund for any unused time back.
Blackcat31 07:45 AM 12-17-2019
Thank you for providing additional info about the situation.

Unfortunately yes, they have the right to terminate you for anything they'd like to unless it violates the contract you signed. However, as a parent I would not want my child to attend a facility that clearly doesn't not take safety of the children seriously and that has staff that will not discuss issues in a professional and unbiased manner.

I would move on and find alternate care.
I would not worry about this effecting your ability to secure new care as stuff like this sadly happens more frequently than some would think.

I would be uncomfortable with any of the staff/teachers providing care and/or supervision for my child if they held such contempt for the manner in which you parent so honestly as much as a pain in the butt it is to find alternate care, it might very well be a blessing in disguise.

Imagine if your child got out one day and no one noticed.

Good luck in your search for new care...hopefully you live in an area where you have options available.
Unregistered 09:24 AM 12-17-2019
We do not but I was blessed enough to be able to secure new child care effective next week. Thanks for input, it was much appreciated (:
Cat Herder 09:38 AM 12-17-2019
We do not but I was blessed enough to be able to secure new child care effective next week. Thanks for input, it was much appreciated (:
I am so glad to hear that. It may end up being the best thing to happen to your family. Sometimes change is just the thing we need.
Tags:blackcat, complaints, consequences, employee handbook, natural consequences, right-to-work, wrongful termination
Reply Up