Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"Spit Happens: Managing Infectious Diseases" Webinar
MyAngels 05:02 PM 08-20-2012
I didn't want to hijack the other thread about excluding for colds, so I thought I'd post this here.

It's a link to a previously recorded webinar that I attended regarding exclusion criteria for various infectious things in a child care setting used by the AAP. It includes a lot of information on things like colds, pink eye, RSV, lice, etc.

http://www.healthychildcare.org/webinars.html
juliebug 07:11 PM 08-20-2012
i did that too! i was really surprised at alot! it was good!
EchoMom 08:13 PM 08-20-2012
Gosh, I read through it (thanks for sharing btw!) but man, not only does it give me the itchies just thinking about it, but I just don't see how I could allow some of the things they're saying to allow. If I saw a kid with lice, I would want them picked up immediately, not at the end of the day. Every hour in the house is more chance of the lice spreading in my home and to other kids!

And the oozing rash, pink eye, and MRSA, not to exclude??? Sorry, I just don't see how I could be okay with saying, sure come on in, no problem!
Sprouts 08:40 PM 08-20-2012
I just completed the webinar as well, and I feel the same as the previous post. In my mind after listening to the dr speak he mentioned these new regulations and standards to be sent up to congress and such ...i feel it was almost bias...he sounds like a dr tired of seeing kids come in for "no reason" and stressed with writing notes to providers for readmission.

He fails to realize that not all programs have full time children, some also have part time children which havent come into contact with these diseases, and if they do then their parents and families in turn would be affected by their child being sick. I guess i see the point if there is no change in behavior or appearance with a fever then they should stay...but doesnt a fever show soemthing??

Thanks for the website though! I learned a lot and I have a lot to think about, after hearing it i should just erase my whole sick policy and say ALL are WELCOME! Only exclude for Diahreah with blood and if child is too cranky to play. We welcome oozy rashes (just please cover) and lice and everything in between!

I wonder if he was a provider would he feel the same way about all of these new changes and reccomendations??????
MyAngels 05:24 AM 08-21-2012
Somehow I don't think he put on this webinar because he's stressed about seeing kids in clinic and writing notes for readmission...

I think the point of the presentation is, that while we've all got good intentions when we exclude kids for a variety of reasons, it doesn't necessarily stop the spread of infectious diseases, and may not always be necessary.

The seminar actually reinforced what I've always done. If the child has symptoms that don't allow them to play and participate as usual they are sent home. IOW it's up to me, not their doctor, whether they will attend or not.
texascare 06:16 AM 08-21-2012
Thanks for posting this! I am a bit shocked at what all he says kids can attend with! But it was a very informative seminar!
Sprouts 06:58 PM 08-21-2012
Of course he didnt say that but in the beginning when he explains how it effects: parents, child care providers, staff and Doctors he does go into and sounds a little annoyed at having to write unessary amounts of dr notes.

I understand a lot of children are contagious before they even show signs of infection, but the spread can be reduced if the child does not attend and spread the virus or infection through the normal ways of doing so like sneezing, mouthing and coughing over everything...which is how a virus uses the body and is meant to spread from person to person

I think it was a great presentation and I did learn a lot but I also don't agree with all of the guidelines on there
Tags:contagious, illness, infectious disease
Reply Up