Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hmm...Retirement???
gkids09 12:30 PM 06-10-2011
I have an employee who has been here for over 10 years (7 with my grandmother, 3 with me...). She has given me written notice that her last day will be June 29, and she is retiring.

If I am being honest, I am relieved...She complains ALL THE TIME about EVERYTHING. lol BUT considering she has been here so long, I feel like I should do something for her before she leaves, from the kids and me.

What would you do?? I have thought about doing videos of random things the kids are doing. Apparently letting them SPEAK in the video isn't a good idea, because today when we were going to write her a note to tell her goodbye, they started telling me to tell her the man outside was mowing the yard..None of them said anything about loving her or missing her or anything, even though they do and will!

It's so tough for me, because the person I am getting to take her place is 20 years younger than she is, and worked here when I was 10 months old and was my preschool teacher...So I am SO excited, and shouldn't be.

Anyway, any suggestions for gifts? Or would you do a gift?? I mean, I am not firing her, so I feel like NOT doing something would be just plain rude!! Thanks
Lucy 12:39 PM 06-10-2011
I would have the kids make something with their handprints for her to remember them by, and have them all sign a card from you and the kids. Then I would put a restaurant or mall gift card inside.
DCMom 12:41 PM 06-10-2011
I would certainly do a gift of some kind. Maybe a photo book of pictures from all her years of service? I do that when my daycare kids leave and honestly some of them have been around nearly 10 years, lol. Those are always seem to be appreciated by everyone I have given them to in the past.
Cat Herder 12:44 PM 06-10-2011
Can you swing a little severance/retirement package? Maybe a two weeks pay bonus?

My last experience with a 10 year of service award was a Belgium waffle maker...don't get me started.

Any gift you decide on does not have to be expensive, it should be personal, useful or thoughtful though. Something she would like.
Ariana 12:51 PM 06-10-2011
How about a little retirement party? A picnic outside, or a bbq with a cake? Some "happy retirement" decorations and music. Then present her with a card made by the kids with a gift card.

I just 'retired' from my centre job to stay home to run my own daycare and the ladies had a 'retirement' party for me. Just a potluck and then they presented me with a certificate of appreciation and a bunch of gifts. It was wonderful to be recognized!!
WImom 12:55 PM 06-10-2011
What about a group photo framed and have the kids decorate cupcakes for her and have a little party.
gkids09 12:57 PM 06-10-2011
I also do a photo book (now a movie) of all the pictures I have taken of the kids since they started, and send it home with them when they "graduate." Unfortunately, she's not one that likes to have her picture taken, so there are hardly any of her in her 10 years with us. I was wondering about doing that!!

I think the kids and I will make her a card, stick in a gift card so she and her husband can go out to eat somewhere nice, and maybe do a video of the kids doing some things around the daycare.

Unfortunately, I don't think I could afford to do the severance/retirement package. I thought about that already too...lol No Belgian waffle maker though, I will keep that in mind. HAHAHA!!!
Sugar Magnolia 06:05 PM 06-10-2011
How about a framed picture of all the kids?

That's nice of you! When I opened my center, I worked as a restaurant manager for 15 years. On my last day, my employees gave me a nice card and plant. Know what my boss did for me? Not jack crap. Not even a thank you for giving 15 years of my life. Actually, the boss took my REPLACEMENT out to lunch. So kuddos to you for being a NICE boss.

Ps: Pizza Hut sucks! LOL!
Unregistered 09:08 AM 06-12-2011
I was forced to "retire" after getting our tax return and realizing that my meager p/t daycare salary actually hurt us rather than helped. My kids gave me a small party, flowers and a few gift cards. But the best gift was the homecard card. Each page was a photo accompanied by whatever they said to "what will you miss about Miss. X". The responses (even the nonsensical ones) were so sweet and funny. I appreciated all the work involved and it's nice to have keepsake photos of the little ones faces.
Abigail 10:57 AM 06-12-2011
Originally Posted by gkids09:
I
I think the kids and I will make her a card, stick in a gift card so she and her husband can go out to eat somewhere nice, and maybe do a video of the kids doing some things around the daycare.
This is great so far. I agree with another to do a potluck and hang up a big sign of "Good Luck" "We love you" "We'll miss you" along those lines. Have balloons up and you or your grandma probably know some of her friends you could invite over as well.....make it a surprise! Also have some things that will be memories around for her and others too look at.

1. Potluck get-together with friends/co-workers/kids

2. Make a list of "Remember When...." and write down the day she was hired by [name here] until her chosen retirement date. Then make a bulleted list of funny times that she many remember. You'll have to talk to other who works with her before to ask what things she did with the kids or greatest moments, etc. [I did this with my mom's 50th surprise party by talking to a lot of family without her knowing and boy was she laughing when I found out a bunch of good o' memories!]--mine was a slide show version.

3. Give her gifts (assuming a few others with give her something special). A gift from the daycare would be wonderful to be a movie. Even if she isn't in it. WHY? because what is she going to miss after some time off at home? The kids, the environment, the noises.....that will be in the movie.
Tags:retirement guide
Reply Up