Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare in a Smaller Home
Brittany 08:54 PM 11-08-2015
I have been a nanny and preschool teacher for over 10 years now. My DH and I are getting ready to start our own family, and I have been heavily considering opening a home daycare. However we have a smaller home. It is about 1300sqft and has 1 bathroom. We do have a big backyard and a bonus room about 250sqft that would be perfect for kids things. We live in Southern California where smaller homes are not ucommon. Does anyone else operate with smaller spaces, how do you manage, and how many children do you take? I was thinking of taking 3-4 children.
NillaWafers 09:19 PM 11-08-2015
I live in LA, and have a 1100 sq. ft 3br 1 ba home. We have a dedicated playspace inside and a large backyard and that's about it. I have 5 kids atm and am pregnant, 2 of those 5 kids are mine.

I really don't have a problem with the space but I would not upgrade to the large daycare as I don't believe I could logically fit that many kids in my house! Other than that - I don't think it's really hard. We spend a lot of time outside. We have scheduled potty breaks that pretty much prevents everyone needing to go to the bathroom at once.
CalCare 06:38 AM 11-09-2015
I am in southern CA (sort of) too. I haven't been able to get my fcc going- one of the main reasons is I feel ridiculous doing it with the lack of outdoor space that I have available. You are going to do great with that backyard. If I were you, I would mainly be wishing I had a separate bathroom for my family only, but it is what it is and I think you'll have a great space in your yard. You should go to the outdoor classroom project training (its in socal!) And make the outdoor classroom your big selling point. It's expensive to go, but I think very worth it to get certified and all that (eventually try to become a demonstration site etc) in your position. Sorry, doesn't answer your questions at all! But just a pep talk lol DO IT!
Ariana 06:40 AM 11-09-2015
I operated out of a home that was 1400sqft although we had 4 bathrooms. I was able to dedicate my entire basement to daycare but I am guessing you have 1400sqft on one floor? I had 3 floors.

It sounds like you have a great idea using the bonus room and since you are in California the outdoors will be your second play space and you can treat it as such. We went outside a LOT but being in Canada it was sometimes too cold or too hot to be out. I felt that 3 kids was all I wanted to take as it just felt crowded after that. I had 5 kids for a little while but decided to let 2 go. You will definitely have to play it by ear for the most part, set things up a bit before you get kids, use shelves and possibly install a shed outside things like that.
kendallina 08:37 AM 11-09-2015
I used to live in a 1300sqft townhouse and used the big bedroom for preschool. I had 6 kids (all 3-5 yrs old) at the time. And, yes, we spent a lot of time outside, going on walks, etc. I would think it'd be perfectly manageable with 3-4 kids and a nice outdoor space. Best of luck!
daycare 08:45 AM 11-09-2015
ok so I live in a 1200 sf home with a huge back yard. I have 14 kids daily. My whole house, excluding bedrooms is 100% daycare. I love it, no one has ever said it's too small and I had no issues opening up at all.

I am in no cali. The houses here remind me of So cal where I moved from. Just like beach houses everything is tiny. Only difference is that down south there was no yard and here I have one.

it can be done, you just might have to make some big scarifies. lol
childcaremom 08:52 AM 11-09-2015
I don't know what the sq ft of my house is.... but it feels small.

I have 5 dcks. Our lower level is 75% daycare. We have a big yard and most of our awake time is spent outside. In all weather.

The big challenge for me is naps b/c the noise carries. I have my 2 naps/day separated and the one nappers together. If one of the 2 naps/day is crying, everyone hears, no matter what I've tried. It is best, for my group, to make sure we have a super busy morning with lots of fresh air so that everyone conks as soon as they lie down.

We only have one bathroom, too. We do scheduled breaks, as well. I have never really had an issue. Only in the morning when my own children are trying to get out the door for school.
Josiegirl 09:57 AM 11-09-2015
My home is small, no more than 1100 sq. ft., 1 bathroom, medium sized backyard. I have 6 dcks except in the summers, I've been having 10. It works for us. It was a wee bit crowded when my own 3 kids lived here and my dh. But now it's just me and my 2 dogs.
You can make it work, especially if it's what you want to do!
laundrymom 10:53 AM 11-09-2015
Originally Posted by Brittany:
I have been a nanny and preschool teacher for over 10 years now. My DH and I are getting ready to start our own family, and I have been heavily considering opening a home daycare. However we have a smaller home. It is about 1300sqft and has 1 bathroom. We do have a big backyard and a bonus room about 250sqft that would be perfect for kids things. We live in Southern California where smaller homes are not ucommon. Does anyone else operate with smaller spaces, how do you manage, and how many children do you take? I was thinking of taking 3-4 children.
I have 10 plus raised 4 w a dog and husband in 1045 sq feet. One bath. Three bed. Living and kitchen. It can be done.
Preschool/daycare teacher 11:19 AM 11-09-2015
I'm legally unlicensed so it might make a difference for you if you want/have to be licensed or not, but I'm in an apartment with 900 sq ft. 2 bedrooms/1 bathroom. The 2nd bedroom is the playroom, but we spend a lot of time in the living room where there's more room to spread out, or in the kitchen at the table for arts & crafts. When I have four children here it doesn't feel crowded at all. So far I have not had a 5th child here, but I think there would still be enough room.
The one bathroom is no problem at all either, but my husband isn't here during the day so it's just myself and the children using it. I used to work at a larger home daycare that would sometimes have 16 children and it only had one bathroom, which was never a problem.
And you have the benefit of a large backyard! That's the best part right there. Since I'm in an apartment I obviously don't have that luxury, but we still get our exercise and fresh air since there's a large concrete area where they can do chalk, bubbles, riding toys, hula hoops, etc and we walk the two blocks to a little playground just about every day.
Brittany 11:57 AM 11-09-2015
Originally Posted by CalCare:
I am in southern CA (sort of) too. I haven't been able to get my fcc going- one of the main reasons is I feel ridiculous doing it with the lack of outdoor space that I have available. You are going to do great with that backyard. If I were you, I would mainly be wishing I had a separate bathroom for my family only, but it is what it is and I think you'll have a great space in your yard. You should go to the outdoor classroom project training (its in socal!) And make the outdoor classroom your big selling point. It's expensive to go, but I think very worth it to get certified and all that (eventually try to become a demonstration site etc) in your position. Sorry, doesn't answer your questions at all! But just a pep talk lol DO IT!

Thank you I will definitely look this up what a great idea!!

I am currently working my last nanny job, and then I will either stay home w/kids or stay home and open a day care. I have a little over a year to plan everything and it's pretty exciting. I am sure I will have a ton of questions, so thanks for all help & ideas
sharlan 03:17 PM 11-09-2015
I operated my family daycare in a 1,000 sq ft house for 20 years. We only had 1 bathroom. Every square inch was used for daycare.

You don't need a big yard for play. Take walks out front for exercise.
mommiebookworm 06:17 PM 11-09-2015
I have 1800 sq ft. But, only use about 700 for daycare. I use the living room, kitchen, bathroom, playroom and hallway. We have a big backyard and spend alot of time outside. I try to be organized too.
CityGarden 12:25 PM 03-28-2016
Originally Posted by CalCare:

Where do they offer the backyard class training?
Blackcat31 12:29 PM 03-28-2016
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
Where do they offer the backyard class training?
I jut googled it and found this: http://outdoorclassroomproject.org/t...ist-trainings/

There were a ton more links that popped up on the search results too....

Sounds like a neat concept!
CalCare 01:34 PM 03-28-2016
Yes, that is it Blackcat. I wish I could do a training but it's expensive. I always think I might do it. I have worked at demonstration sites.
CalCare 01:36 PM 03-28-2016
The funny thing is I actually set up and ran the outdoor classroom of a demonstration site before they were certified. I never got certified myself (waaah). I missed my opportunity since I was pregnant and just doing a few months there.
lovemydaycare0912 03:14 PM 03-28-2016
My home is a little over 1200 square feet two beds and 1 bath. The children use up most of my home and we have 6 kids. I think I can make it work because I don't have small children and I plan on moving to a larger space soon. Could I do daycare here forever? Absolutely not. I don't have enough personal space because my daycare takes it all up. All depends on how many rooms you have I guess. And what you can do in the backyard.
wonderfullisa 12:30 PM 03-29-2016
When I first started out, I lived in a bitty <800 sqft home. It wasn't ideal, but it worked. I had up to 6 children.

Now we have a home with a walk out basement. I use the basement, only, for daycare. It's probably about 1100sqft for daycare. My husband even gave me a small craigslist kitchen in the Laundry area. I love it!
Tags:small daycare, small room
Reply Up