Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Childproofing a Gas Heater?
Unregistered 09:25 PM 04-06-2016
I am in the process of establishing my home based daycare and have a couple questions as I prepare for the inspection:

In California it states

All fireplaces, woodstoves, and/or heaters are screened to prevent access by children.

Does anyone have any suggestions for childproofing a gas heater? The problem is that the cover is metal and HUGE. It's one of those upright, built-into-the-wall ones - like 6 feet tall, maybe 1.5 feet across. It faces the living room on one side of the wall and the hallway on the other.

It is not often warm enough to justify needing a heater so I don't want to invest a ton of money into it but I do want to pass inspection and I do want it to be safe. I was thinking of using a fireplace guard/gate, but they're really expensive and way too big - especially for the hallway as we will need access to that hall for bathroom use.

Thanks in advance.
Unregistered 09:27 PM 04-06-2016
Also they state:

Hazardous materials are kept out of the reach of children (inaccessible)

This is pretty vague.... does that mean the top shelf in a cabinet that is over 5 ft tall or does this mean keep those items (cleaning products, etc) in a locked storage of some sort?
Lovisa 05:53 AM 04-07-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Also they state:

Hazardous materials are kept out of the reach of children (inaccessible)

This is pretty vague.... does that mean the top shelf in a cabinet that is over 5 ft tall or does this mean keep those items (cleaning products, etc) in a locked storage of some sort?
I'm also in Ca. My analyst was fine with cleaning supplies being in a low cupboard as long as a properly working lock was on the cabinet. I just use the baby locks you can buy and check them often to make sure they work properly.
LysesKids 07:34 AM 04-07-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am in the process of establishing my home based daycare and have a couple questions as I prepare for the inspection:

In California it states

All fireplaces, woodstoves, and/or heaters are screened to prevent access by children.

Does anyone have any suggestions for childproofing a gas heater? The problem is that the cover is metal and HUGE. It's one of those upright, built-into-the-wall ones - like 6 feet tall, maybe 1.5 feet across. It faces the living room on one side of the wall and the hallway on the other.

It is not often warm enough to justify needing a heater so I don't want to invest a ton of money into it but I do want to pass inspection and I do want it to be safe. I was thinking of using a fireplace guard/gate, but they're really expensive and way too big - especially for the hallway as we will need access to that hall for bathroom use.

Thanks in advance.
I had one of those in AR... I was licensed exempt, so no clue how to cover... now I know for a fact it was illegal to run with the smaller wall heaters that had an open flame in AR; in fact it was illegal to even have them in bedrooms and that made life difficult living in a Victorian home in a National historic district... we had to use space heaters to keep warm because we couldn't change the heat due to Historic preservation rules. I ran my soap business as my main and did childcare as an on call Nanny until I moved to a different city
Second Home 07:18 AM 04-08-2016
Maybe build a cover like what people use to cover radiators .
LysesKids 07:28 AM 04-08-2016
Originally Posted by Second Home:
Maybe build a cover like what people use to cover radiators .
If I think it's the one like what I had it's literally in the wall and 6ft high... the vents are @ the bottom to let heat out... A fireplace screen might actually work better but it would have to be a taller one otherwise little fingers could touch the sides of the metal cover that the heater is made of & it is metal for the entire thing
NillaWafers 09:15 AM 04-08-2016
Originally Posted by Lovisa:
I'm also in Ca. My analyst was fine with cleaning supplies being in a low cupboard as long as a properly working lock was on the cabinet. I just use the baby locks you can buy and check them often to make sure they work properly.
My analyst was not fine with that, it had to be out of reach, regardless of locks. So vague, I would love it CA had some well defined, non-vague rules
Tags:2016, child proofing, childproofing, gas heater, heater
Reply Up