Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2.5 Won't Eat
flying_babyb 02:05 PM 02-28-2021
He eats animal crackers, bread, pizza. Most days he wont touch lunch. Lunch was spaghettis, peas and mixed veggies with ranch. He smushed his veggies, played with the ranch, ignored the spagetti. This is a daily thing. I have tried making him try a bite of everything (with me putting it in his mouth, if I ask him to do it he ignores me). Most foods he just lets run right back out of his mouth, some he gags over. Any ideas? I just feel bad that hes not eating. He does drink his milk though.
Unregistered 06:26 PM 02-28-2021
If he eats great, if not oh well. He will eat when he is ready and if he gets hungry then he will need to wait until the next meal is served. He may be over stimulated and that's the reason he doesn't want to eat or he may just be stubborn.
Michael 07:48 PM 02-28-2021
Bot that sounds like how my son used to eat as a child. He is 28 and still eats the same!
PB&J 07:36 AM 03-01-2021
I started a thread yesterday about kids not eating anything unless it WASN’T food (which I’m still curious about). I’ve also had kids who wouldn’t eat due to texture issues. Or, wouldn’t eat because it was a full moon, or whatever personal reason! For ANY of these... I don’t worry about it. If we’ve played hard during the day, and his plate has good food on it with at least a couple of components, whether he eats or not doesn’t bother me at all. If I know he’s a light eater, I just put a little down and let him ask for more if he decides he wants it.

I will say that I do try to honor their eating style (does he like it cut up, or in bigger pieces to hold and bite...does he want me to give him the first taste to get him going...etc), and I also look for signs of distress (if I see these, I let parents know so they can check for dietary sensitivities/allergies that may make certain foods painful and make him avoid trying anything). Barring any of that, I let it go.
Cat Herder 08:18 AM 03-01-2021
Meal times are stress free, here. I offer them the legally required serving of all components, they eat or they don't. Easy, peasy.

I am required to offer them meals. I am not allowed to make them taste anything. That is their choice.

I eat what I serve, with them, too. I have great eaters. It is rare I have children (without sensory issues) who won't eat.

Sensory issues can often be managed by limiting "wet" foods, using vegetable puree's in pasta/breads and using divided plates. Get creative.
Tags:eating habits, eating times, lunch issues, meal routines, meal time - rules, won't eat
Reply Up