Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCK Ran Out Of Diapers
daycare 03:28 PM 04-27-2011
I have a DCF that is usually super with remembering everything. this past week I sent out email reminders and text reminders about supplies. A total of 3. I even told DCM at pick up yesterday your DCK has no more diapers left.

The DCK is the only one that i have in diapers. The rest I have potty trained. So at drop off I ask dad where is the stuff....he says oh its in the car BRB........I get a call 1 min later. DCD says looks like I left it on the table at home. i will bring it and leave it on the door step..............DCD never brings it.

So now DCK used the one and only diaper I have in my entire house (the back ups where used yesterday) right after breakfast at 8:55am.

I change it and then we start class. I get so busy that I forgot about DCD. So now its time to change the diaper at 10:45 and guess what NO diapers... The diaper was not wet so I left it....

DCK went down for nap at 12:45 wet............I know I feel horrible but what was I supposed to do make one???

It's 3:30 right now and I got a text from DCD sorry I forgot to drop off the stuff and I am out of the area about an hour away. I tell him I don't have any diapers at all...

DCK is here until 630. I have nothing to change DCK with. WWYD?
Would you call and ask them to bring supplies now? Pick up DCK?

I am at a loss right now. I don't know what these parents expect me to do? Tote 6 kids to walmart?? yeah right.... I don't even have enough car seats...

gggeeerrrrrrrr.....
sahm1225 04:12 PM 04-27-2011
I don't have any advice, but just wanted to say 'hugs'!

I have no clue what you can do, unless you have a neighbor or friend that can pick up some diapers for you.
WDW 04:14 PM 04-27-2011
This is probably after the fact now but where was DCM? If DCD was out of the area, why didn't DCM bring diapers? That stinks.. I'm so sorry!
PitterPatter 04:24 PM 04-27-2011
That is totally unacceptable! What does he need a sticker placed on his forhead? Doesn't the family have another fam member that can drop off some diapers for you? It is not your responsibility to go buy diapers anyway. I feel bad for u I can imagine how bad u felt for that poor child! I don't keep diapers here. The parents just bring the diaper bag every morning. I have given them an option and that is what they choose. I had a dcm forget her diapers and tell me to use another child's and she would replace them. Nope sorry, your child, your responsibility, go back home and get them. So what happened, curious?
cheerfuldom 04:26 PM 04-27-2011
I have a one hour rule for supplies that are needed asap. If they don't come and bring supplies, they have to come and get kiddo. I would be flaming mad to be left with a kid and one diaper for 12 hours. In case of emergency, we cloth diaper and I would use that on the baby (or even a folded receiving blanket or something) rather then let them sit in their own filth for hours.
Kaddidle Care 04:27 PM 04-27-2011
Call a neighbor?
daycare 04:29 PM 04-27-2011
so the DCM works also out of the area...she has no clue yet what is going on... kid will be here for another two hours...

I am gonna ask the parent that is coming in a few min if she can bring a spare from home if she has any left....keeping my finger crossed.

I really don't even know what to say to the parents... I am so pissed off... I think I am mad becuase I honestly did send out messages that I know they got, as they were the first ones to sign up for the FREE parents night out....

I still have two more hours to go and I am just hoping that the DCK does nto poop and doesnt end up with diaper rash...

next time, if they dont have bag in hand at the door they dont come in. DCD can take his kids back with him to get the supplies.
snbauser 04:32 PM 04-27-2011
This is after the fact but here is what I do. I give the parents a two day reminder sticker in their cubby. The next day if they don't have diapers they get another sticker and a reminder that their child is on a "no stay policy" for the following day if they do not bring diapers. If they show up again without diapers, they are not allowed to leave their child. They must go back home and get them, go to the store and get them, whatever. But the child can not stay without them. In 8 years I have never had to send a parent/child away after reminding them they are on a no stay the next morning. They don't forget because they know I am serious and that it would severely inconvenience them if I sent them away in the morning.
PitterPatter 04:34 PM 04-27-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
so the DCM works also out of the area...she has no clue yet what is going on... kid will be here for another two hours...

I am gonna ask the parent that is coming in a few min if she can bring a spare from home if she has any left....keeping my finger crossed.

I really don't even know what to say to the parents... I am so pissed off... I think I am mad becuase I honestly did send out messages that I know they got, as they were the first ones to sign up for the FREE parents night out....

I still have two more hours to go and I am just hoping that the DCK does nto poop and doesnt end up with diaper rash...

next time, if they dont have bag in hand at the door they dont come in. DCD can take his kids back with him to get the supplies.
I would be calling someone to pick up the child. Another 2 hours is just neglect on the parents part! I would start hoarding diapers! Honestly, maybe not hoarding but I would keep maybe 5 -10 and put them away in case the parents have another brain fart in the future!
daycare 04:35 PM 04-27-2011
i still have them for two more hours...would you call and text them to bring diapers now or to pick them up??
daycare 04:36 PM 04-27-2011
yesterday they used my back up stash...
melskids 04:41 PM 04-27-2011
i would buy a box to keep on hand for such emergencies.

of course, the parents would be charged $5 for each diaper i had to use from my stash.
PitterPatter 04:44 PM 04-27-2011
yesterday they used my back up stash...
See just neglectful parents. So when he comes in the door smack him on the forhead and say "u could have had a V8"!
PitterPatter 04:44 PM 04-27-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:

of course, the parents would be charged $5 for each diaper i had to use from my stash.
OHHH there u go!!!
daycare 04:46 PM 04-27-2011
see... everytime I think my PHB is done something else happens.... No wonder I have not finished it yet....lol.
WDW 04:52 PM 04-27-2011
i still have them for two more hours...would you call and text them to bring diapers now or to pick them up??
Yes! I think I would call DCD and DCM over and over until you get one of them and demand they come. You know they will be upset with you if he gets a rash or something. If you can't get either one, I'd call an emergency contact person. I'm sorry, but 12 hours in one diaper seems like a bit of an emergency to me.
daycare 05:00 PM 04-27-2011
Originally Posted by WDW:
Yes! I think I would call DCD and DCM over and over until you get one of them and demand they come. You know they will be upset with you if he gets a rash or something. If you can't get either one, I'd call an emergency contact person. I'm sorry, but 12 hours in one diaper seems like a bit of an emergency to me.
I did text DCD around noon to ask where they diaper were at becuase I ddi nto see them on my porch. I told him I have ZERO diapers...

Then I got the response later at 3 that he was still not coming. Yes I agree I too feel that it is an emregency. I guess its partly my fault too becuase the DCK slept so long that i didnt keep pushing the issue.

I honestly thought that the DCD or DCM or have brought some over or said something along the lines of Im so sorry, I will be there early to pick up.

guess that is what I get for assuming.........ugh
Country Kids 05:06 PM 04-27-2011
I have my parents bring a supply of diapers every Monday. I don't care if the child didn't go through all of them last week I want to make sure I have enough for the week. If and only if I get a stash built up will I let them go for a week. It is awesome and they usually bring wipes so I stay plenty stocked up. So very nice!
daycare 05:13 PM 04-27-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I have my parents bring a supply of diapers every Monday. I don't care if the child didn't go through all of them last week I want to make sure I have enough for the week. If and only if I get a stash built up will I let them go for a week. It is awesome and they usually bring wipes so I stay plenty stocked up. So very nice!
normally this is the case. They usually bring a full pack of diapers and wipes at the start of each month and then I ask that they check the cubby boxes daily to make sure that their child has all necessary supplies... including back up clothing, socks, shoes, sun screen and something to sleep with.... I guess I need to really put my foot down this time.... once and for alll ugh

can i borrow someones back bone......
youretooloud 05:38 PM 04-27-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
I would be calling someone to pick up the child. Another 2 hours is just neglect on the parents part! I would start hoarding diapers! Honestly, maybe not hoarding but I would keep maybe 5 -10 and put them away in case the parents have another brain fart in the future!
I NEVER do this... but, I agree, I'd just send him home early. Mom would have to leave work earlier. I know this is all after the fact, but if it happened again in the future, this is what i'd probably do.

Or call both parents and ask them to problem solve. Maybe one of their friends would come by with diapers.
WDW 06:06 PM 04-27-2011

I love the $5!! Awesome! I have considered buying "back up" diapers, but what size would you buy? I can't store (or afford) a box of every size.
PitterPatter 06:19 PM 04-27-2011
Originally Posted by WDW:
I love the $5!! Awesome! I have considered buying "back up" diapers, but what size would you buy? I can't store (or afford) a box of every size.
Just a thought but u could sign up for free trial sizes from dif companies. I signed up 9 years ago and I still get some from time to time. I have gotten free binkis and bottles as well.
MN Day Mom 06:19 PM 04-27-2011
Poor Kiddo! What ended up happening?

If I had no diapers for the child, I would have of sent him home the moment I discovered it.

I do keep a stash of a variety of sizes... and when I have to use one from my stash I have the parent pay me back with two, this keeps my stash stocked.
Childminder 06:46 PM 04-27-2011
Use paper towel or rags/towel and saran wrap. Major mad face when they show up and tell them that their negligence caused you neglect of their child and it is not acceptable!!!

Once this happened to me and I used cloth and plastic pants that I had here. The child went home without a diaper cause I stripped it off just as they pulled in.

From now on start writing on the last diaper at least a week in advance that they are in need of diapers/supplies. I start out with a happy face on the last diaper of the day with the note and each day the face gets sadder and sadder and madder IF they end up with it being the last diaper the kid goes home with a note that says DO NOT BRING THE CHILD BACK WITH OUT DIAPERS.
daycare 07:09 PM 04-27-2011
See that's the thing I sent one email last week one one Saturday and a text Monday morning. The kid only comes tue wed thur

I am also at fault because yesterday they forgot them and I said don't forget to bring tomorrow. I had a backup stash yesterday but we used it. So this morning when they showed up empty handed I should have sent them home. I was dupped by DCD when he said oh they are in the car brb. Instead he drove off claiming he left them at home.
And would be right back with them.

Update. I asked another DCM to bring me a diaper web she came at 4:00. The DCK was still sleeping so it was perfect timing. But DCK woke up with a rash. When DCM got there I told her what had happened and that I was very upset about it. She was flaming mad at DCD. She said she packed the by herself to be brought and DCD forgot it both days.
I said next time kid goes home. Or someone comes to bring supplies within the hour.

I told her DCK had diaper rash and she just got more red in the face. She said she was sorry and she herself would go get diapers right now and bring them back tonight.

I need to change the way I'm currently doing this reminder stuff because I can't keep chasing them down to being the supplies.
I think next time I don't let them stay.
Ugh glad the day is finally over
GretasLittleFriends 07:36 PM 04-27-2011
I personally have never ran into this issue, but I imagine I would do the following \/
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
(or even a folded receiving blanket or something) rather then let them sit in their own filth for hours.
I like this idea! /\

Originally Posted by Childminder:
Use paper towel or rags/towel and saran wrap. Major mad face when they show up and tell them that their negligence caused you neglect of their child and it is not acceptable!!!

Once this happened to me and I used cloth and plastic pants that I had here. The child went home without a diaper cause I stripped it off just as they pulled in.
I might be careful on how I said that, as I wouldn't want them to use my own words against me. However, I do believe that the rags / saran wrap would definitely open their eyes, of course so would a child who went home "commando".
Symphony 08:50 PM 04-27-2011
Poor baby and poor you! I bet dcd got an earful when he got home

I start asking for diapers when I have 6 left, and if I have less than 3, I write on the diaper with a sharpie "Need Dipes!" or "LAST ONE EEK!"

It's really frustrating when you do everything you should and the supplies still aren't there. Especially when it's lack of communication between the parents!
daycare 09:05 PM 04-27-2011
no lack of communication here... I email both parents 2 and 2 text both.. I also told him and DCM at drop off and pick up that I needed diapers.......so they were told 5 times total...
DCD sent me a text about 5 min ago and said thanks for putting me in the dog house..
I replied.....dont even go there............
sahm1225 04:22 AM 04-28-2011
DCD sent me a text about 5 min ago and said thanks for putting me in the dog house..
That text wouldve pissed me off! REALLY??? YOU put him in the dog house?? How about the fact that he left his child WITHOUT diapers? Urghh. Some parents are just wonderful....

Sorry you had to deal with that. Now that you know the dad will get in the car and leave without diapers, I would make him bring the diapers in first...

or just start asking for diapers when they have about 1/2 pack left
Kaddidle Care 04:41 AM 04-28-2011
I was dupped by DCD when he said oh they are in the car brb. Instead he drove off claiming he left them at home.
And would be right back with them.
And then never came back? GRRRR! I detest liars! I hope his wife laid into him when she got home.

You might want to add in your handbook that denied requests for diapers is grounds for termination. (At least add it to this family's contract.)

Edit: Ah I see he is in the dog house. GOOD!
SandeeAR 06:48 AM 04-28-2011
I would forward the doghouse text to his wife
Meeko 07:09 AM 04-28-2011
see... everytime I think my PHB is done something else happens.... No wonder I have not finished it yet....lol.
I don't think mine will ever be done! Every time I think I have EVERYTHING covered...someone will do something completely anal and I have to add another clause!
Meeko 07:16 AM 04-28-2011
Originally Posted by Symphony:
Poor baby and poor you! I bet dcd got an earful when he got home

I start asking for diapers when I have 6 left, and if I have less than 3, I write on the diaper with a sharpie "Need Dipes!" or "LAST ONE EEK!"

It's really frustrating when you do everything you should and the supplies still aren't there. Especially when it's lack of communication between the parents!
I write on their diapers too!

I usually have a good supply of extras on hand as I let all my neighbors, friends, church friends, parents etc know that if they ever have any left over from completed potty training, moving up a size etc etc that I take 'em all! I have received hundreds of diapers over the years this way. Sometimes I get so many that I tell parents they don't need to buy diapers for a while as I have tons of donated ones! (I always keep a good number set aside as my stash)

However......if I tell a parent I need diapers and they don't bring some by the time we run out...then I turn them away at the door. I just say "Sorry...can't tend without diapers!"
Unregistered 07:30 AM 04-28-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I have a one hour rule for supplies that are needed asap. If they don't come and bring supplies, they have to come and get kiddo. I would be flaming mad to be left with a kid and one diaper for 12 hours. In case of emergency, we cloth diaper and I would use that on the baby (or even a folded receiving blanket or something) rather then let them sit in their own filth for hours.
I agree. I treat it like a sick child. No supplies- your child needs to be picked up now then b/c I can not care for them effectively. Only happens 1x and they never forget again.
daycare 07:44 AM 04-28-2011
I dont really want to start any more drama over this situation than what has already been caused by it...

NO supplies today, the DCK goes home. I wont even let them in the door.

I don't even want to bring it up again...DCK knows that he screwed up.
Symphony 07:52 AM 04-28-2011
no lack of communication here... I email both parents 2 and 2 text both.. I also told him and DCM at drop off and pick up that I needed diapers.......so they were told 5 times total...
I think you misread my post, I said YOU did everything right, but the PARENTS didn't communicate with each other. I'm on your side girlfriend
daycare 08:33 AM 04-28-2011
lol no I read it right what I meant was that I sent seperate text and emails to both. so both mom and dad got the same email...

I still need to have my coffee....lol

I always knew you were on my side....lol thanks for sharing your thoughts It really does help to have someone to consult on this things....
cheerfuldom 08:43 AM 04-28-2011
was DCD serious with that last text?!?! Like its your fault for not covering for him. sheesh.
morgan24 08:49 AM 04-28-2011
I had almost the same situation happen to me. The dcd was terrible about bring the supplies in the house with him or he left them at home. He did it twice to me and the third time he tried I sent dcg out with him, he brought her back in and said that he left them at home. I said you have to take dcg with you because I do not have any diapers left. He was so mad that he had to leave with her to get them, but that ended it he never forgot again. As for the text I would of said your welcome.
wdmmom 08:52 AM 04-28-2011
No supplies, no daycare...that simple. Why should you set yourself up for failure? If the State were to show up, how are you going to be able to explain why you have paper towels and saran wrap on him? The parents could wind up being real jerks and turning you in for less than adequate care. There's just no way I would do it.

Bring me supplies RIGHT NOW or pick up your kid...those are your options!!!

That's neglect on both your parts!

I always take 3 diapers and put them in my "stash" for those just in case moments. I notify when I have about 10 or so left that way they have a couple days to supply. If I have to dig into my stash, it's not that big of a deal because they are theirs anyway.

Love, love, love the idea of charging though! Maybe parents would get the hint!
bice99 09:02 AM 04-28-2011
Does anyone provide diapers and wipes and just up the rate to cover the cost? I've been seriously considering this. I know it is not my job to do it, but it would sure make my life easier. Plus, I HATE Pampers wipes and diapers. The wipes are slippery and don't work well for poop. I've always had parents supply both. 2 packs of wipes to start. When I open the 2nd pack, I circle "need wipes" on the child's daily record sheet. So far no one has run out of diapers. One was on her last diaper one day. I'm just tired of having to remind parents. The kids' cubbies are right by my front door, so parents should be able to figure this out. I even have great parents, but everyone has times of forgetfulness. Plus, all of my kids are part time so that doesn't help. Thanks
daycare 11:21 AM 04-28-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
No supplies, no daycare...that simple. Why should you set yourself up for failure? If the State were to show up, how are you going to be able to explain why you have paper towels and saran wrap on him? The parents could wind up being real jerks and turning you in for less than adequate care. There's just no way I would do it.

Bring me supplies RIGHT NOW or pick up your kid...those are your options!!!

That's neglect on both your parts!

I always take 3 diapers and put them in my "stash" for those just in case moments. I notify when I have about 10 or so left that way they have a couple days to supply. If I have to dig into my stash, it's not that big of a deal because they are theirs anyway.

Love, love, love the idea of charging though! Maybe parents would get the hint!
yes I already admitted to being at fault... I really didnt think that I would be lied to by an adult. Especially one that has never done so before..

I actually already have the charge fee in my parent handbook, which they were charged, but that still didnt fix the fact that I was left without diapers...

There is nothing that I could have done differently in this case, other than tell them NO you cant come in unless you have your kids supplies....

When I was told that they were in the car, I didnt feel the need to tell the parent hey take you kid out to the car with you. I guess this was a lesson learned by me.

yes you are right about licensing... I did mention that to the parents...
MyAngels 11:52 AM 04-28-2011
We have a grocery store here that will deliver things on the same day if you order early enough. The delivery fee is probably high, but in this case I would have ordered some diapers, paid the hefty fee, then charged the parents double the amount of the bill, in cash, when they picked up. I would have given the parents the option of coming immediately with diapers to avoid this hefty charge.
daycare 11:55 AM 04-28-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
We have a grocery store here that will deliver things on the same day if you order early enough. The delivery fee is probably high, but in this case I would have ordered some diapers, paid the hefty fee, then charged the parents double the amount of the bill, in cash, when they picked up. I would have given the parents the option of coming immediately with diapers to avoid this hefty charge.
wow now that is what i am talking about... I am gonna have to look that up..

That sounds like what I should have done.....now let me go see if we have one near me....I have never heard of one, but I guess you don't know until you look
MyAngels 12:41 PM 04-28-2011
wow now that is what i am talking about... I am gonna have to look that up..

That sounds like what I should have done.....now let me go see if we have one near me....I have never heard of one, but I guess you don't know until you look
Schnuck's is the grocery store I'm thinking of. We also have a small, family owned pharmacy type store that will deliver, too.
Maddy'sMommy 06:50 AM 04-29-2011
You could buy some adjustable/one size fits most cloth diapers to have on have on hand incase of emergencies, that way you don't have to worry about having the right size.
daycare 07:54 AM 04-29-2011
Originally Posted by Maddy'sMommy:
You could buy some adjustable/one size fits most cloth diapers to have on have on hand incase of emergencies, that way you don't have to worry about having the right size.
that is a great idea too. Thanks for posting that..

I did find out that our Safeway will deliver groceries, but it has to be $50.00 or more and there is a delivery fee attached to it.

Also, if you order in the am you may not get it until after 5 pm that day..... so it could work if they are not crazy busy
GretasLittleFriends 06:26 PM 04-29-2011
I've never heard of one-size fits all (most) diapers. I think of the nb or size 1 diapers compared to the size 5 diapers...

Personally I have several size 5 diapers in stock. If need be I can fold it to fit to a smaller child. Kind of hard to make a size 1 fit a 18mo old. LOL
Symphony 07:38 PM 04-29-2011
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
I've never heard of one-size fits all (most) diapers. I think of the nb or size 1 diapers compared to the size 5 diapers...

Personally I have several size 5 diapers in stock. If need be I can fold it to fit to a smaller child. Kind of hard to make a size 1 fit a 18mo old. LOL
I cloth diaper my own kids and I use one size dipes. The two kinds I have adjust with snaps around the waist, and then one brand has snaps to adjust them vertically as well. The other brand has elastic bands in the seams like they have in children's jeans now with the buttons? So I can adjust them super small or super big. My kids wear the same diapers from birth to underwear!
Maddy'sMommy 12:59 PM 05-01-2011
Those are the ones I was thinking of, that have adjustable snaps around the waist. I haven't tried them, but I am thinking of switching to cloth so I have been doing some research.
Tags:diapers, diapers running low
Reply Up