Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What to do when a prospective family asks you how many families you've interviewed.
Creek 07:16 PM 05-28-2012
I am currently running interviews for a space that opens at the begining of September. I've had 3 interviews, and the one I had yesterday wants to come back with her husband and daughter. I don't accept a child into care unless I meet them and see them play in my environment first. So the mom emailed me this evening and asked me how many families I was interviewing for the spot.

I really don't know how to answer that, or even if I should answer it. If I don't answer it - how do I deflect the question? I don't want to share, it's really none of their concern. I really liked the mom and I'm anxious to meet the little girl. Her age is perfect. They're supposed to come back on Saturday morning to play a bit.

What would you do?
SunshineMama 04:52 AM 05-29-2012
I would say, "I am interviewing a few other families as well, and am waiting to make a final decision by the end of the week. I can say that I REALLY enjoyed meeting you and I feel that your daughter would be a great fit into my program."

That way, they know that YOU are in demand, and that you are their current choice. Whenever I have been in that position, I always let everyone know that I will be fair to all of my potential families and interview everyone, and choose the child that will be the best fit. It kind of puts you in control IMHO and makes you their most desirable candidate. People always want something when they think everyone else wants it too.
Meyou 05:20 AM 05-29-2012
I say I'm interviewing until I find the right family for my group and I can't predict how long that may take. Then I urge them to contact me after our interview if they are interested in moving forward with a second interview.
Mom&Provider 05:47 AM 05-29-2012
Originally Posted by Creek:
I am currently running interviews for a space that opens at the begining of September. I've had 3 interviews, and the one I had yesterday wants to come back with her husband and daughter. I don't accept a child into care unless I meet them and see them play in my environment first. So the mom emailed me this evening and asked me how many families I was interviewing for the spot.

I really don't know how to answer that, or even if I should answer it. If I don't answer it - how do I deflect the question? I don't want to share, it's really none of their concern. I really liked the mom and I'm anxious to meet the little girl. Her age is perfect. They're supposed to come back on Saturday morning to play a bit.

What would you do?

I usually just say I have a few others interested in the spot and I also include a date that I want to be able to make a decision, which is usually a day or so after my last interview for the spot.

Of course if they are your prefered family, then I usually drop a hint or two as well!
cheerfuldom 06:17 AM 05-29-2012
I always say that there are a few others and that I take families on a first come, first serve basis.

I will not accept a family though if I dont feel that I would be the right fit for them.
Tags:parents - enquiring
Reply Up