Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bullying
Country Kids 10:40 AM 02-15-2013
Big question here: Honni Bee brought it up in another thread but something I have been wondering about.

Kids that do the bullying: I know not always, but are they usually bigger for their age and behind in areas?

One of my friends has a little one that is 4 and bigger then most 5 year olds!!!! Shows some issues with development but does show aggression/bully type behavior.

I have seen little teeny tiny ones though to be bullys but wonder if they do this because they think they can get away with it being so tiny. These ones usually have no delays though.
rmc20021 11:04 AM 02-15-2013
I had a little boy in care who I would consider a bully. He was 1 yo. Every time I got a new kid, he would go up to them and smack them in the face, or hit them with a toy, or try to shove them down, or sit on them...and he'd try to continue that behavior with each child as long as he thought he could get away with it...and thought it was the funniest thing.

He had older brothers who rough housed with him big time, and a dad who saw nothing wrong with him throwing things at people (dcm brought that up to dad once but because at that time it was something soft, dcd thought it was stupid to not allow him to throw it...even though the boy didn't know how to distinguish hard from soft and had thrown a heavy, full sippy cup all the way across the room).

NOTHING I did would stop this boys behavior with the other children...because it was ok for him to do at home with the bigger kids.
spud912 01:42 PM 02-15-2013
Our classroom bully would be my dd (unfortunately ). She is the smallest of all the children and normal intelligence.
MarinaVanessa 05:11 PM 02-15-2013
Originally Posted by spud912:
Our classroom bully would be my dd (unfortunately ). She is the smallest of all the children and normal intelligence.
So is mine . Or at least she is without her medication (like today). She has ADHD and impulse control issues and tends to be very bossy and dictorial which is almost completely a non-issue when she is given her meds ... thank goodness for Straterra .

We can give it to her as she needs it and she doesn't drone out or turn into a different child when she's on it, she still has tons of energy but focuses better and makes better choices. Today I didn't offer it to her and oh man, she gave me a run for my money. No fighting today or bickering with the children but she did try to sass and boss me .
Hunni Bee 05:35 PM 02-15-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Big question here: Honni Bee brought it up in another thread but something I have been wondering about.

Kids that do the bullying: I know not always, but are they usually bigger for their age and behind in areas?

One of my friends has a little one that is 4 and bigger then most 5 year olds!!!! Shows some issues with development but does show aggression/bully type behavior.

I have seen little teeny tiny ones though to be bullys but wonder if they do this because they think they can get away with it being so tiny. These ones usually have no delays though.
The reason I said that is that a lot of children who bully ar trying to deflect attention from their own flaws and problems, and they find this to be easier to do through physical means when they have a size/strength advantage.

Not that all bullies are bigger or developmentally behind.

I have seen this child, when have trouble with something, proceed to say hurtful things to everyone in proximity to him. When he gets reprimanded for something or can't get what he wants, he finds someone to hit or push down. He does not even approach kids who are bigger than him to play, but consistently finds the smaller/more prone to cry kids to "play".

Those things just make him stand out as a bully to me.
Scout 05:57 PM 02-15-2013
Originally Posted by rmc20021:
I had a little boy in care who I would consider a bully. He was 1 yo. Every time I got a new kid, he would go up to them and smack them in the face, or hit them with a toy, or try to shove them down, or sit on them...and he'd try to continue that behavior with each child as long as he thought he could get away with it...and thought it was the funniest thing.

He had older brothers who rough housed with him big time, and a dad who saw nothing wrong with him throwing things at people (dcm brought that up to dad once but because at that time it was something soft, dcd thought it was stupid to not allow him to throw it...even though the boy didn't know how to distinguish hard from soft and had thrown a heavy, full sippy cup all the way across the room).

NOTHING I did would stop this boys behavior with the other children...because it was ok for him to do at home with the bigger kids.
at one year old he acted like this?? Yikes, I'd hate to see him as a teen!
Tags:bullying
Reply Up