Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Lamps? Lighting For Daycare Room
BumbleBee 05:20 PM 07-05-2012
My entire living room is the daycare room. Unfortunately, there is no over head lighting in the room. The room is 22x12 ft. There are 2 windows that are quite large but they face North so there isn't a whole lot of light coming in there.

Part of me wants to use two 5 ft. Lamps that I have. Not sure on this though so I thought you wonderful ladies and gentlemen may be able to give me some ideas.

The 2 lamps would give me enough light to keep the room lit in all areas. Each lamp has 5 bulbs so it puts out quite a bit of light. To stabilize the lamps I can hook them to the walls.

However, I tend to have tunnel vision so I'm worried that I'm not thinking of all the options.

Does anybody else use lamps in their daycare area? If you do, what are some of the pro's and con's of using lamps? Did you use lamps at one point and then find something different/better? Other ideas for lighting?

Thanks!
sfp 05:53 PM 07-05-2012
I'm not sure I'd have the patience for lamps around kids...
nothingwithoutjoy 06:41 PM 07-05-2012
I use lamps. Floor lamps are placed behind chairs so they don't get tipped over. There are tip-able lamps on shelves, though, and we talk about how to be safe with them (and cords are tucked out of the way and secured to the shelf where I can). I much prefer ******t lighting to ceiling fixtures. Also, trusting that children can use "dangerous" things safely--and teaching them to do so--is a part of my philosophy.
Crazy8 06:58 PM 07-05-2012
I have 4 what I think are called "high hat" lights in the playroom - the recessed ones in the ceiling. I couldn't imagine having any lamps in my daycare space. Actually, I don't even have lamps in my own non-daycare family room because of my own over-active kids, LOL! Maybe now that they are getting older I can add lamps in there.
countrymom 07:27 PM 07-05-2012
I think I saw it in walmart, but its a floor lamp with about 6 different colors and they look like branches and they are bendable. I know that a daycare in town has them.

oh, wait, can you buy the ones that you plug in the wall and the cord runs up the wall and you hang the light fixture with like a plant screw. I know ikea sells like the flower and ladybug but those are night lights and not very bright. That would be great because they would out of reach of kids.
Kiki 08:52 PM 07-05-2012
I use a floor lamp in my day care room, we only have to use it in the winter time though. Nobody really notices it. It's off in a corner by our window, and away from our main area, so the kids don't ever have to walk by it.

I like countrymom's idea, I know exactly what she is talking about too, my mom had one in our front room when we were growing up. If you're worried about floor lamps that is def an option, if you don't have the money for one, at least try out your floor lamp for a day and see how it goes.
DCBlessings27 06:04 AM 07-06-2012
My house doesn't have an overhead light in our living room. I've got 3 large windows, but I don't always like to have the curtains open. We've always used table lamps. When the daycare was in my living room, I didn't have a problem with the lamps. They were knocked over a couple times, but I am always watching the kids and was right there to pick them up. The daycare is in my (former) formal dining room now, so I have a chandelier in there for light now.
BumbleBee 06:59 PM 07-07-2012
Thanks for all of the great ideas! I really appreciate it.
countrymom 06:35 AM 07-08-2012
I saw some in lowes yesterday and I thought of your post.
BumbleBee 08:20 AM 07-08-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I saw some in lowes yesterday and I thought of your post.
Haven't checked out Lowe's yet but I did find some lamp hooks at Menards that I think will work.
countrymom 06:58 PM 07-08-2012
omg, I love love menards. I go to the one in ohio off of alexa rd. Today we went to algonac and took the fairy home. Oh we forgot to buy milk. I love living so close to the michigan border.
Tags:daycare area, lamp, lighting
Reply Up