Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Do You Inform Families of an Illness?
LittleScholars 07:34 AM 04-05-2016
I'm a new provider with a full group, and I feel like someone always has some kind of bug the last few weeks. Parents are great about keeping children home when they need to be excluded, but often the spread of germs has already happened. In other cases, the child has mild enough symptoms to join.

I feel like I'm always talking about germs with the parents, but a child just showed signs of a serious stomach bug. He is leaving immediately. Is this something you would share with the other parents? My instinct is yes, but is this helpful or just over-sharing?

Thank you!
childcaremom 07:40 AM 04-05-2016
I don't share usually unless it is something serious or highly contagious.

So, for example, I might let the parents know that a child has been excluded for a stomach virus. That while I am disinfecting, etc, to please monitor their child and keep them home if they are exhibiting the following symptoms: list them.
Ariana 08:01 AM 04-05-2016
Yes I share all illness with other parents and tell them to "keep an eye out" for certain symptoms. If parents don't know then they are more likely to bring their children sick by accident.

"jimmy is out today with diarrhea, so just a heads up in case Amy gets it" and then remind them of your sickness policy.
daycarediva 08:03 AM 04-05-2016
I do a heads up as well. FYI- "I sent a child home for vomiting today. Please watch little one for symptoms. As always, my health care policy is ---------"
MunchkinWrangler 08:34 AM 04-05-2016
Yes, I wouldn't say who but I would definitely say you had to send a child home for an illness like that. It lets parents know to watch for symptoms.
LittleScholars 08:47 AM 04-05-2016
Thank you! This is so helpful. I feel like I must be driving parents crazy, but I want to contain illness as much as possible. Most of my children are part-time, and it seems like we are always carrying something new in lately.
childcaremom 08:49 AM 04-05-2016
Originally Posted by LittleScholars:
Thank you! This is so helpful. I feel like I must be driving parents crazy, but I want to contain illness as much as possible. Most of my children are part-time, and it seems like we are always carrying something new in lately.
As a parent, too, I appreciate it. Especially if I have one of my own acting off and I am on the fence whether or not they are coming down with something, I can err on the side of caution and keep them home.
Ariana 09:29 AM 04-05-2016
Originally Posted by LittleScholars:
Some parents have the attitude that kids are going to get sick and that it is a normal part of life and it is no big deal.....until of course their kid gets sick and tey have to miss work
Unregistered 02:12 PM 04-05-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I do a heads up as well. FYI- "I sent a child home for vomiting today. Please watch little one for symptoms. As always, my health care policy is ---------"
Ditto. It's a rule here.
mommyneedsadayoff 02:38 PM 04-05-2016
I am probably the odd one out, but I don't say anything unless it is something unusual that is highly contagious. If anything, I may say, "there is a little bug going around it seems, so just a heads up to keep an eye on LO" or something like that, but I don't usually trade info on other families. I feel it is a privacy thing and since parents can take an ounce of mud and make a molehill out of it, I tend to keep all info as limited as possible when it comes to other people's kids.
Tags:communicating with parents, illness, illness policy, sick kids
Reply Up