Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bottle To Sippy Cup and Won’t Drink Milk
daycare 04:25 PM 04-12-2011
So I have been posting about the child that would not drink from a sippy cup or any sort of cup but a bottle, which the parens took away. I went out and purchased a bottle and said I will use it until they can show me they can drink from a cup. The child was here for 9 hrs and drinking zero

So DCP comes today and says that they figured out that the child no longer wants to drink regular milk. Child will only drink juice and choc. milk and wants me to follow suit...UMM NO I don't serve juice or choc milk.

I am also on the food program and not too sure how to handel it.. I tired to call my site monitor, but they never called me back..

any advice?
Michael 04:41 PM 04-12-2011
Some helpful threads: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...=bottle+to+cup
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25724
daycare 04:44 PM 04-12-2011
lmao you keep sending me my own threads but these are follow up questions to the old post....
nannyde 04:44 PM 04-12-2011
Ahhh now it makes sense.

They are getting some SERIOUS peace and quiet at home with this bottle deal. There is NO way they are going to give this up. It's most likely a good amount of his daily calories and liquid.

I would drop it. Just tell them that unless you tell them otherwise to assume the child didn't drink anything at all in your home. You will tell them IF he drank only.

He will eventually give up food too. Chocolate milk bottles will set the standard of taste and comfort that will overtake his desire for any real food. They first loose their desire to drink and then to eat. If he does eat it will be only chicken nuggets, fries, mac n cheese, hot dogs... the REALLY high salt. fatty foods. They are the only thing that will equal the chocolate milk taste.

The further he gets from eating and drinking at your house the easier he is to manage at home with bottles.

It's a no win situation for you.
daycare 04:48 PM 04-12-2011
I am so with you on this ..... guess it was more of a vent and trying to figure out how to stay in compliance with the Food Program...
Michael 04:49 PM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
lmao you keep sending me my own threads but these are follow up questions to the old post....
They are for you AND new visitors that don't know to click on the TAGS.
snbauser 05:29 PM 04-12-2011
My answer is simply that I participate in the USDA food program and that they require me to serve milk, 100% juice or water. I serve milk with breakfast and lunch. Juice with snack. Water in between meals or if they finish the 4oz of juice at snack. I can't force them to drink it but I am required to serve it. I will not serve chocolate milk. I think in the eight years I have been doing this I have maybe served chocolate milk twice and that was for special occassions. That's it. Per the food program if I need to serve something else, it requires a doctors note.
nannyde 06:16 PM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by snbauser:
My answer is simply that I participate in the USDA food program and that they require me to serve milk, 100% juice or water. I serve milk with breakfast and lunch. Juice with snack. Water in between meals or if they finish the 4oz of juice at snack. I can't force them to drink it but I am required to serve it. I will not serve chocolate milk. I think in the eight years I have been doing this I have maybe served chocolate milk twice and that was for special occassions. That's it. Per the food program if I need to serve something else, it requires a doctors note.
I don't think they are asking her to serve chocolate milk. They wanted her to take him off of bottles knowing that he will only drink chocolate milk and pure juice out of bottles.

They WANT him to go all day long and not drink at her house. If they receive a thirsty bottle dependent kid in the late afternoon they will have a happy chocolate milk bottle drinking kid for the rest of the evening until bedtime. It's to their benefit for the provider to give him white milk in a cup because they know he won't drink out of a cup and he won't drink white milk.

Chocolate milk and juice bottles ARE their parenting in the evenings. The only way they get that is if the provider doesn't offer that during the day. If she gave him chocolate milk and juice bottles all day long he wouldn't care about them at night. This would take away their easy parenting in the evening.

They KNOW how he is in the afternoon and evenings on the weekend after he has sucked bottle all day long. They know it's way harder on the weekend than the evening because he hasn't gone all day without sucking and he hasn't gone all day without drinking.

They like the week deal better where someone denies him the sucking and chocolate milk because it makes him really craving the sucking and thirsty for the liquids on their clock.

They aren't concerned about it at all because they DON'T WANT HIM TO HAVE ANY "peace and quiet" during the day. They want the peace and quiet in the evening.
SilverSabre25 06:20 PM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I don't think they are asking her to serve chocolate milk. They wanted her to take him off of bottles knowing that he will only drink chocolate milk and pure juice out of bottles.

They aren't concerned about it at all because they DON'T WANT HIM TO HAVE ANY "peace and quiet" during the day. They want the peace and quiet in the evening.
Either that, or they figured out that he WILL drink from a sippy, but only if it's juice or chocolate milk. I can easily see it being either way.

OP, one of the *only* things I could see trying would be to give him sippies of those substances (make the parents supply them though, perhaps) and once he's drinking reliably at your house, start watering the juice and decreasing the amount of chocolate in the milk very gradually until it's pure water and plain milk.

If you use opaque sippies the other kids *might* not realize that he has something different from them...
daycare 06:21 PM 04-12-2011
Nanny I'd swear you were sitting right here with me. Lol.
After reading your first post to me it makes 100% sense...
Lol. Love it!!

Oh and great article on the 8 year old. Crazy is the only thing I can say about that situation. Well and maybe the boy needed to use that stick to knock some sense into his mother.. Ugh
nannyde 03:35 AM 04-13-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
Oh and great article on the 8 year old. Crazy is the only thing I can say about that situation. Well and maybe the boy needed to use that stick to knock some sense into his mother.. Ugh
Thank you

The thing that got me to research their case and then write about it was the tape from the kids house.

I realized it was like six weeks ago that the kid had done this and they have tapes of him sitting on the couch playing a PS3 violent video game, having toy gun collection, his super-hero collection... Pepsi and Coke LITERS next to the sink, strawberry quick in the fridge, and rediwhip for his strawberry desert AND the small little dog.

This was in just a couple of minutes of footage.

If my kid did that kind of damage, cussed at his teachers, threatened them, and then didn't IMMEDIATELY follow the COPS orders, and called them mother effers......

OH LAWDY

His "room" would consist of a sheet and thin pillow to sleep on at night and some q-tips and erasers for his "toy collection".

Everything else he had would be REMOVED for months and he would earn them back one by one. He wouldn't have a "treat" for a blessed year.

Just in a one to two minutes of footage you can see one thing after another that doesn't make sense if she is REALLY doing therapy. She's either getting bad therapy or she's not listening to them. The violent video games is a NO brainer.... and so is all the sugar food.
daycare 12:20 PM 04-13-2011
I did not see a video was there one there? I would love to see it..

I have debates with my 15 year old and my husband about video games all the time. I dont like them at ALL. but I get that if they are earned, then I cant tell my son NO. However, I can say sorry you cant use my internet and electric to make the game system work.... My son is 15 and I won't let him get shooting gmaes.....lol But not really funny at all. Especially after reading your blog.............so sad
Tags:bottle to cup, milk, transitioning - bottle to cup, won't drink milk
Reply Up