Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Has Anyone Had Any Experience with Daycare Clients/Families Who Work for CPS?
Unregistered 02:16 PM 04-27-2012
Hi all!

I just had an inquiry about childcare from someone who works for CPS. They will be coming by for an interview next week. I was wondering what they may be looking for in a provider. I assume it would be what most parents are looking for, of course, but I wanted to get a feel of the perspective of someone in this line of work!

Thanks!
sharlan 02:23 PM 04-27-2012
From my one experience, I would say RUN, don't walk, away.

The mother was beyond neurotic. I had to explain every single bump and bruise. Bites that didn't break the skin required an ER visit for antibiotics. The kids were OVER indulged at every turn. We didn't part on friendly terms.
snbauser 02:29 PM 04-27-2012
One of my best clients was an investigator for CPS. She was awesome. Really cared, paid on time, dropped off and picked up on time, kept child home when he was sick or just when she was off, etc. She eventually left CPS (got burnt out with everything she had to see/deal with). She just actually got approved for her license to be a family child care provider about 2 weeks. I think they are just like any other parent and it depends on the person.
AmyLeigh 02:40 PM 04-27-2012
Originally Posted by snbauser:
I think they are just like any other parent and it depends on the person.

Vianne 03:34 PM 04-27-2012
I got to be very good friends with one of my clients who works for CPS. Took care of her daughter from infancy to kindy, then her son till he went to kindy. Nothing but a positive experience. I wish she'd have another baby for me. She's wonderful.

Good luck.
busymomof2 03:58 PM 04-27-2012
Before doing dc, I worked for social services for 7 1/2 years mainly with foster children. During that time I had a dc provider for about 2 years. I guess it could be nerve racking but we are just like everybody else. We want a clean, safe environmnet with a loving and understanding provider.
Unregistered 04:37 PM 04-27-2012
Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences! I felt a little strange asking the question in the first place. I feel better prepared for her visit now!
sfp 07:08 PM 04-27-2012
I am a foster parent. I have had CPS workers themselves tell me that they are naturally suspicious with parents simply due to their line of work.

I have also known some workers to be very down to earth and realistic about parenting.

I'm not a fan of high maintenance parents (who is), but this could go either way for you.

I hope you can feel in your gut what the right decision is once you meet...
Heidi 06:19 AM 04-28-2012
I currently have a parent that is Social Worker. She's a stellar client.

From her perspective it's got to be tough too. I am sure she is under a lot of pressure to be the "perfect" parent...never loose her cool, always be roses-and-sunshine. I've seen her get a little stressed with her bunch, and she always looks so apologetic. My answer is always "hey...don't expect ME to judge you!"

These are kids that have some behavioral issues, and I honestly think that it's because she's trying so hard to be "nice" that she doesn't lay down the law more often. I've never been a particularly strict parent, but compared to her, I'm a freakin' general.

It's sort of a cliche' really...whose kids get in the most trouble? The principal's, the local cop's, and the pastor's kids!
MNMum 06:52 AM 04-28-2012
My MIL is a CPS, bumps and bruises don't even phase her. With the crap she sees on a daily basis she knows the difference between normal and abuse. It will just depend on the personality.
Ariana 09:53 AM 04-28-2012
Originally Posted by MNMum:
My MIL is a CPS, bumps and bruises don't even phase her. With the crap she sees on a daily basis she knows the difference between normal and abuse. It will just depend on the personality.
This for sure! My good friend was a CPS social worker and some of the stories I've heard would make you cry for a week...seriously

If you're a good provider I wouldn't give it a second thought because she's likely seen it all.
Christian Mother 10:01 AM 04-30-2012
I've never had a family who worked for CPS but a good friend of mine who is a provider cares for a 4 yr old dcb and she says it's challenging for her to work with the mom who works for CPS bc she is very controlling as well as she doesn't want her son sitting next to other kids close or playing close.

My friend said that this little boy is always talking about his "boy parts" which has gotten out of control in daycare...she's mentioned it to mom and mom says that she is teaching him that no one should touch him for any reason which I think is important to teach our children but she has been going a little over board on it. I believe that this mom has been exposed to things we can't even comprehend. What a job! I believe that with open communication it can be a great work relationship and just be open to asking this parent what her expectations are for daycare and care...
daycare 10:23 AM 04-30-2012
I have DCP:

1. works directly under my site monitor at licensing
2. social worker for the state
3. lawyer
4. executive director of a school program

I was scared at first too, not that I have anything to hide, but of making any mistakes...but, I am very lucky that ALL of them are very helpful.

I was also very upfront with the parents and told them how I felt. I told them that I was worried that I may not live up to their expectations or always feel like I am walking on egg shells. They laughed and said that if anything they would be helpful in any way that they could.

I say go for it....they might turn out to be a great resource just like mine have become for me.
Tags:cps
Reply Up