Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Legally Unlicensed????
MsCathy 11:02 AM 02-13-2013
Can someone please clearify what "legally unlicensed" means. I thought people were just saying it as a joke because they weren't licensed but I keep seeing more and more posts regarding it.

Just curious....I live in CT and licensing I pretty strict here.
melilley 11:08 AM 02-13-2013
In MI you can be legally unlicensed only if you care for children who are related to you. Other than that, you have to have a license. I think in some states you don't have to have a license if you only care for a certain number of children. Interesting question!
Willow 11:08 AM 02-13-2013
In many (all?) states you can watch a certain number of children without having to be licensed.

Some states say it's one family's children (whether that's one or 5 siblings all related), some it's three families or just three kids total doesn't matter which families they come from....all depends on the state.
kendallina 11:18 AM 02-13-2013
In Ohio it's legal to have up to 6 children without being licensed.
MamaBearCanada 11:22 AM 02-13-2013
In Canada you can generally be legally unlicensed if you watch 5 or less children - including your own (under 12 years of age I think).

The closest thing you have in CT is your FFN/kith and kin

http://www.ctvoices.org/sites/defaul...asedcarees.pdf
DCBlessings27 01:49 PM 02-13-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
In many (all?) states you can watch a certain number of children without having to be licensed.

Some states say it's one family's children (whether that's one or 5 siblings all related), some it's three families or just three kids total doesn't matter which families they come from....all depends on the state.
Not all states. Kansas doesn't allow anyone to care for unrelated children on an ongoing basis without being licensed. Someone could watch up to 2 unrelated children for a total of less than 20 hours per week but not on an ongoing basis, thus it's fairly impossible to provide care here without being licensed.
SilverSabre25 01:50 PM 02-13-2013
Originally Posted by kendallina:
In Ohio it's legal to have up to 6 children without being licensed.
basically it means, that we are not licensed...legally. We operate without a license but still within the bounds of the law, such as it pertains to us. If that makes sense?
daycare123 01:51 PM 02-13-2013
In ND you can care for up to 5 children including your own to be legally unlicensed
JLH 02:10 PM 02-13-2013
In Washington you must be licensed to provide regular ongoing care to anyone that is not family or a neighbor. They are pretty strict about it in Washington.
MissSarah 03:31 PM 02-13-2013
Here in BC, Canada you can care for up to 2 kids or one sibling group without being licensed. Relatives don't count.
Meeko 06:40 PM 02-13-2013
In Utah, you can tend 4 children and be unlicensed. 5 to 8 means either residential certificate or fully licensed. 8 to 16 (me) means fully licensed.
Sunchimes 08:00 PM 02-13-2013
In Texas, they call us listed homes instead of legally unlicensed, but it's basically the same thing. I pay a small fee each year. This covers the background check for my husband and me. I'm listed on their site. But, no one comes out to inspect, I don't have any standards to follow.

I can have 3 kids not related to me, but up to 12 if they are related to me.
Nickel 08:01 PM 02-13-2013
In Texas (or at least my area) They have 3 child care licensing levels. Listed, Registered, and Licensed. Listed is basically legally unlicensed. We applied with the state but there is no inspections, no ratios, no real rules or requirements. The only thing is we can only care for 3 unrelated children.

Registered and Licensed is about the same except for certain standards, rules, and ratios.

Legally unlicensed means that they have fulfilled the requirements with their state (or providence maybe?) to be a legal home daycare but are not licensed with inspections, rules, and other criteria. I hope that helped!
blandino 08:40 PM 02-13-2013
In Oklahoma if you care for any child on a regular basis, who is unrelated to you, you must have license. So it isn't possible to be "legally unlicensed" in all states.
countrymom 06:09 AM 02-14-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:
In Canada you can generally be legally unlicensed if you watch 5 or less children - including your own (under 12 years of age I think).

The closest thing you have in CT is your FFN/kith and kin

http://www.ctvoices.org/sites/defaul...asedcarees.pdf
legally unlicesned up to 5 kids NOT INCLUDING your own children. If you go thru wee watch or one those companies its 5 kids INCLUDING your own.

now I read in the nursery act, and its conflicting whether its 5 or 6 kids. And I think the age is 10 not 12 yrs old.
VTMom 06:24 AM 02-14-2013
In Vermont you can watch children within 2 families (not including your own over age 2) and be legally unlicensed. So if between those 2 families there are 10 kids, so be it!
itlw8 06:27 AM 02-14-2013
In Missouri it is called license exempt you may care for up to 4 unrelated children ( not including your own) with out a license.

You may also have 1st degree relatives and not count them. They are trying to get rid of that rule though
MamaBearCanada 09:07 AM 02-14-2013
Originally Posted by MissSarah:
Here in BC, Canada you can care for up to 2 kids or one sibling group without being licensed. Relatives don't count.
Originally Posted by countrymom:
legally unlicesned up to 5 kids NOT INCLUDING your own children. If you go thru wee watch or one those companies its 5 kids INCLUDING your own.

now I read in the nursery act, and its conflicting whether its 5 or 6 kids. And I think the age is 10 not 12 yrs old.
I guess I should have said NB not Canada. It seems each province is different. My bad!
jokalima 10:01 AM 02-14-2013
I had the same question and am also from CT, here licensing is super strict and If you care for kids in your house w/out a license you get a fine, I believe that you could take care of children that are not yours in the other person's house but not from yours. I could be wrong but think that is how it is here.
Tags:unlicensed
Reply Up