Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Unlicensed Home Day Care and Advertising in Indiana?
clintonjohnson13 10:11 AM 04-13-2016
My wife is starting a home day care in Indiana. We previously had a home day care in Illinois where she was not allowed to formally "Advertise" for her daycare until licensed. She is going through the process of getting her license but in the mean time would like to go ahead and start.

How does she get the word out that she has opened a home day care? Can she post on facebook? Can she join websites that list her day care while being unlicensed?

Any info would be a great help! Thanks!!
Thriftylady 10:21 AM 04-13-2016
I think a lot of that depends on the rules in your state. Does your state allow you to care for children without a license? If not I wouldn't, because in some states getting caught would mean that you can't get a license.

Now if it is allowed, try fliers at the grocery store, laundry mat. Post on local Facebook yard sale and sale and swap pages. And try Craigslist.

ETA: As far as joining and advertising on a website, such as this one, it depends on the rules of the site. I am legally unlicensed in Ohio, and was able to put an ad here on this site!
NeedaVaca 10:31 AM 04-13-2016
She can care for 5 children without a license and can advertise and start now while working towards the license.
clintonjohnson13 10:31 AM 04-13-2016
Ok, thanks for the ideas!!!

I do know you can be unlicensed in Indiana. I just can't find anything on the state website about advertising.
clintonjohnson13 10:33 AM 04-13-2016
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
She can care for 5 children without a license and can advertise and start now while working towards the license.
Thanks for the info!!
daycarediva 10:36 AM 04-13-2016
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
I am always amazed at the legal variations by state. Here it is 2 unlicensed only. If I could have 5 without a license, I would NEVER be licensed.
Thriftylady 10:41 AM 04-13-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I am always amazed at the legal variations by state. Here it is 2 unlicensed only. If I could have 5 without a license, I would NEVER be licensed.
We can have six unlicensed in Ohio. I provide the same care I did licensed in Kansas, but it costs me less with less government involvement. I pass that savings to the parents in my rates.
Rockgirl 10:48 AM 04-13-2016
No unlicensed care allowed at all here in Texas. If you care for even one unrelated child, you must at least be listed. There's listed, registered, and licensed.
Pepperth 10:50 AM 04-13-2016
The difference between states always amazes me, being that in Michigan, I need a license to watch any children in my home.
laundrymom 11:09 AM 04-13-2016
FB pages. Local elementary schools. Word of mouth. Flyers at grocery stores. Etc.
NeedaVaca 11:11 AM 04-13-2016
I know right? What I find strange in Indiana is you can watch 5 kids unlicensed and your own kids do NOT count but if you get licensed they DO count lol, weird...
clintonjohnson13 11:44 AM 04-13-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
FB pages. Local elementary schools. Word of mouth. Flyers at grocery stores. Etc.
Thanks! We cant wait to start so my wife can be home with our baby.
NightOwl 01:41 PM 04-13-2016
Ugh. Our standards are strict in Alabama. No license = no children.
MotherNature 07:51 AM 04-14-2016
I'm in Indiana. When I was open, I advertised on local fb groups, especially if you have a niche, like only infants, crunchy moms, etc. CL here is less than stellar, but I did run ads there too. Mainly though, local parenting fb groups were where I got clients. Worst/first client came from CL.
NillaWafers 08:30 AM 04-14-2016
Ditto, in CA you need a license if you have more than 1 family (basically anything other than a nanny). Although I see tons of illegals advertising so I don't think they are very strict on that.
Tags:advertising ideas, indiana - unlicensed, indiana requirements, unlicensed, unlicensed - indiana
Reply Up