Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Late drop-offs
jack_attack 07:06 AM 10-01-2014
Hi all!

I've had my home daycare open for a month now & so far things are going great! There is one family, however, that's causing me grief - not the last, I'm sure

Anyway, they are EXTREMELY inconsistent with drop off & pick up times. This morning, for example, they were supposed to drop off at 7:30. I texted at 8:30 asking if he was coming today. I received a text at 9:00 stating that they would be dropping off at 9:30. I have spoken (& some texts so I have proof) about this many times and they will be good for a day or two then resort back to this.

Ideas for me?? Should I ask them to sign a contract for a late drop off fee? It's just so unfortunate because it's not fair to the other kiddos - I'm having to postpone things just because I have no idea when this kid will be dropped off.
Leigh 07:20 AM 10-01-2014
I would not postpone anything for them. If you're leaving for an outing at 8 and they are not there, just go ahead and leave and let them track you down. Don't let them schedule the days at your business, just go about the day as you normally would.

If the late drop offs are an issue for you, there is nothing wrong with instituting a late drop off fee, or even telling them that if their child is not present by 8AM, he or she will not be accepted for the day.
Soccermom 07:20 AM 10-01-2014
I never postpone activities for late drop offs.

I once purposely took a LONG walk with the daycare kids at 9h30am because I had one DCM who would often have Grandma drop off DCG so the little girl could sleep in.

She was contracted for a 7h45 drop off but would randomly get dropped off whenever they felt like it.

Grandma waited in the driveway for about 30 minutes until we returned...Sorry Grandma but DCG is contracted for drop off before 8h00am...anytime after that, I consider her to be absent for the day and continue on with my day.

Some parents feel that normal daycare rules don't apply because they enrolled their child in a home daycare. They figure we are just hanging around the house all day anyway, so what difference does it make what time they come trudging in.

My advice is to put your foot down quickly with this family because if not, this is just going to be the beginning of it.
Indoorvoice 07:26 AM 10-01-2014
I have this same problem with one of my families. This dcg isn't terribly disruptive when she comes in so I choose not to fight this battle. However, I do NOT postpone activities for her. I make sure they see what she has missed, and won't redo them with her. If they come in after I have served snack, I make sure to tell dcd that she was too late and doesn't get to eat until lunch. If we are on a walk when he decides to show up, oh well! He has to wait in my driveway until I get back. I do tell them often that this schedule makes it hard for her to get in a routine. I know some providers refuse care after a certain time, so maybe you could do that? I just don't care that much. I'm not going to let his lack of planning effect MY day. I hope you figure out something that works for you.
jack_attack 07:35 AM 10-01-2014
Thanks all. They just dropped him off. He's 7 months old so I need to meet them at the door - a little more challenging than a kiddo who could just walk in & find us. Currently I have all babies (4 under the age of 2 yrs) so napping is a BIG deal to us here. The late drop offs just messes up our napping schedule. I think I'll have them sign something regarding a late drop off fee when they pick him up tonight.
coolconfidentme 07:43 AM 10-01-2014
I send a quick text saying, "DCK was not brought to DC at scheduled drop off time. She is has been turned in as absent on the report for the day. Hope to see you tomorrow!" If they try to show up, I tell them I'm sorry, I have already logged her in as absent (as I point to the computer). Parents have no idea that I submit the absent report to myself! lol

ps.., They electronically log in & they know I'm state licensed. (giggle)
Tags:communication, drop-off, parents - changing things
Reply Up