Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Baked Dough Ornaments...Anyone Ever Try Adding Cinnamon?
Soccermom 08:12 AM 11-21-2012
I want to make some baked ornaments with the DCKS this afternoon. I found a great recipe online for cinnamon ornaments but it takes a cup of cinnamon and a 1/4 applesauce...I don't think it would make a lot.
I was thinking of making the flour dough kind but adding a bunch of cinnamon in the batter....anyone ever try this? Did it work out or was it too overpowering while it baked?
Country Kids 08:15 AM 11-21-2012
I have made the applesauce/cinnamon one and the kids really liked it.

Please be careful though as some children are allergic to cinnamon and will break out terrible.
Blackcat31 08:21 AM 11-21-2012
I have made them several years in row and they've turn out fantastic! I haven't made them though in the last few years and have been meaning to do it agian because it was such a hit with my DCK's and their parents.

They smell great and the scent is not at all over powering.

I think the smell lasts a long time too because last year when I pulled out my "example" ornament, (with plans to make them but didn't) it still smelled like cinnamon.
Heidi 11:33 AM 11-21-2012
We have some applesauce/cinamon ones that are probably 15 years old. They don't smell anymore...

We decorated ours with puff-paint to look like icing, and made them heart-shaped to look like german Lebkuchen (gingerbread) hearts-a christmas tradition in Germany.
daycarediva 02:55 PM 11-21-2012
I would try a sample batch just to see. I was going to try to dye the salt dough ornaments this year (red, green, maybe leave one white but add silver glitter, etc)

$1 store cinnamon is a life saver, we make those every year, but have to multiply the recipe by atleast 8. I also advise that you make them a little thick, ( atleast 1/4" or they break) and add the hole for ribbon before they dry (I know, duh but I threw away a whole batch! LOL)
Scout 06:39 AM 11-22-2012
Ooh. Thanks for the idea!! Bought a gingerbread house kit to do but, these will be fun too!
renodeb 01:01 PM 11-26-2012
I have used the applesauce cinnamon recipe for my dc and also as a party gift for my holiday tea party. Everyone raved about them and the smell is not overpoering at all. One batch does not make a lot so you may need to make more but they are so worth it!
Debbie
Tags:baking, christmas ornaments, cinnamon, ornaments
Reply Up