Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Walking Around on Pins and Needles
Breezy 12:34 PM 09-27-2012
Since I am moving I only have one kid in care. A 10 month old. And then of course my own 19 month old.

Most days they go down at the same time between 11-12 for a nap and they both drop off to sleep quickly. Some days DCK needs a nap earlier than that and can't last until 11-12 and those are the days I dread!

Like today, DCB goes down at 10:30 and DS goes down at 12:00 on the dot. DS needed a little bit of back patting to get him to sleep today. He keeps crying for daddy as daddy has been working long hours this week so he needed a little reassurance. I happily sat on DSs bed and rubbed his back and told him he is okay and then I hear DCB screaming from the pack and play in the napping room. UGH!

He is ready to get up my DS isn't ready for me to leave yet so then I feel torn between the two of them. I know DCB can sit in there on his own for a little bit and USED to be able to chat happily to himself for a while but for some reason he has been crying at EVERYTHING.

SO at 12:15 I go in and get DCB and he is screaming, pick him up and he keeps screaming, lay him down to change him- still screaming, put him on the floor so I can throw away the diaper and wash my hands and he screams louder because I left the room.

I hate walking around on pins and needles during what is supposed to be my break to keep him quiet. He isn't normally like this either- it started after he was gone from here for a week when his dad was in town visiting.

And then DCM comes at the end of the day and asks how the "tyrant" was all day. And calls him a loser, and a cry baby, and refers to him and DCB as "damn f*cking kids"! Makes me sooooooooooooo uncomfortable!

Sorry, this kind of turned into a vent.

But, my question is: If DCB wakes up before I am ready to get him up like say I am helping my own DS to get to sleep like today. Would you leave DCB to cry for a bit? If so, what is an acceptable amount of time to let him cry? I feel like I SHOULD be dropping everything to go get him but I also feel like I have a duty to my own DS to not just abandon him when DCB needs me......
Meyou 12:57 PM 09-27-2012
I would be putting DCB down for a short morning nap until he could make it to normal naptime. I wouldn't do what you're doing at all. I have a morning nap time exactly for children and situations like this.
DaisyMamma 01:01 PM 09-27-2012
The DCM says this about 10mo old? WTH? I hope she doesn't say this to his face? Omg!

I think you feel guilty bc it's your own son you are trying to put to sleep. What if you had 4 DCK to put down at noon? You would have no choice but let him cry unill you get to him! He only sleeps 1.5 hours? When do YOU get a break? Oh my. I would put him down a little later and your son down a little earlier. Also with the way he is screaming I wonder if he just isn't ready to wake up yet.
I have a nine month old. I let him nap for a half hr 915-945/10. Then he is ready to go back down at 12: 30 with the others.
Breezy 01:08 PM 09-27-2012
He used to go down right away when he got here at 7:15 and sleep but now he won't because mom just gets him out of bed at 7 and sticks him in the car seat and brings him here so he just woke up at 7:00. He only will sleep once per day and then falls asleep right around the time mom picks him up at 5:30. So if I do get him down at 9ish he will not go back down for the rest of the day.

Ds usually sleeps until 730-830 so putting him down earlier doesn't work either. I'm actually lucky if he naps at all!

So, nope no break for me. Well, sometimes they go down at the same time when Ds will go down at 11.

And yes she says it right to his face :'(
spud912 01:16 PM 09-27-2012
I would try to stretch dcb's awake time as long as possible. It sounds harsh to keep him awake so long, but my dd started only taking one nap at around 10 months old. She woke up later at 9 am and would go down at 1 pm with all the other kids. I think 7 am to 12 pm is doable, although it may get a little rough for you between 11 and 12. In the end, at least you will get a break! Plus, you may find that dcb will nap a little longer with a later nap time. Also, try to wake up your ds closer to 7:30 so he's tired by 12.
Reply Up