Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thinking like a Nanny...
Loveyoustinkyface 06:42 PM 09-28-2012
I feel that if you trust me enough to care for your child then I should trust you enough to pay me at the end of the week. I am legally unlicensed, providing care for one family. I do not do contracts, I want something more personal. I feel that I am opening my home, my family, my daily life to the family that I care for. My mentality is more along the lines that I am their "Nanny", but at my home! There should be mutual respect and I expect to be paid on Friday for the care given during the week. The father does not pay me till the following Tuesday or Wednesday. I feel disrespected. And I have shown him no disrespect. Catering to his "late" days. Anyone else in a similar situation?
Chipmunk 07:13 PM 09-28-2012
Even nannies have contracts. You have to protect yourself, your business, and your home and family.
cheerfuldom 08:13 PM 09-28-2012
I am sorry you are feeling disrespected but unfortunately, a lot of people either do not know what you are preferring or feel that because you are not "strict" by having a written agreement, that most things are negotiable. Their definition of respectful treatment may be far different than yours. I understand the idea behind not having a contract and I love that idea.... in theory....but in practice, I find it completely non-functional and a disaster waiting to happen.

I strongly urge you to write up at least a basic agreement so all parties are clear on expectations for the arrangement. If someone is paying you, you are then in a business relationship. It would be nice if people could still work off of a handshake but that is not the world we live in. Businesses have rules and written documentation.

Your other option is to verbally voice your feelings and hope that he is respectful enough to abide by those in the future. The reality is though that he may not OR he may get mad at you and leave. Both scenarios are very common in daycare situations.

And yes, nannies work off written agreements as well.
Lyss 09:16 PM 09-28-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I strongly urge you to write up at least a basic agreement so all parties are clear on expectations for the arrangement. If someone is paying you, you are then in a business relationship. It would be nice if people could still work off of a handshake but that is not the world we live in. Businesses have rules and written documentation.

And yes, nannies work off written agreements as well.
Ditto!

I worked as a nanny for many years and always had a contract/agreement, in writing and signed prior to starting. You can have a contract and a close relationship. Relationship or not, in the end you have to protect yourself and verbal agreements are very hard to prove if suddenly you find yourself not receiving payment at all
MrsSteinel'sHouse 05:18 AM 09-29-2012
I worked as a nanny also and believe me, you want your duties in writing!

That aside. I use to think (16 years ago) that I was just a family provider. That these kids would just be like my own, but I have learned that no, this is a business. Once, I changed my mind I have had a much better time with watching kids. Even though I love them and they are in my home; I have set boundries. One big one is I don't like to deal with the money process. I tell them this upfront. If it becomes an issue, I can no longer watch your kids. I expect to be handed a check (or cash), in the proper amount, on the proper day. That is that. That is why I don't do an hourly amount. They pay by the week, weather they are here or not.

But, bigger than just money.. boundries between your home and childcare are important. If you set those boundries the families really do respect you more. I can think of plenty... pick ups, areas the kids can be in, what is ok to bring into my house..
So where I understand the underlying motivation that your a family childcare provider, you need to, for your own long term sanity. Set up some formal business practices.
momofboys 06:50 AM 09-29-2012
ITA with the other posters. You can have trust in your parents but it sounds like they are not respecing you. I would write something up pronto saying from whatever date forward payment must be made either in advance or on Friday with no delay. No payment = no childcare & late payments will incur late fees & still no watching of children until payment is made. Be strong!!!
Reply Up