Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Questions About Home Inspection
sammys 06:45 PM 12-09-2013
I'm in the process of getting licensed in MI and have a few questions about the initial home inspection.

I have a gas stove so the knobs are in the front (within toddler reach), do I just take the knobs off?

Our TV stand is open so the xbox and dvd player are in the open per say. Is this ok?

Should I put locks on the kitchen cleaning cabinets?

Are they really going to look in every room? My house has two bedrooms upstairs but I am only doing the daycare on the main floor.

I guess I just don't know what to expect and I want to be safer than sorry!
melilley 07:07 PM 12-09-2013
I'm not sure of the knobs. I would take them off or buy the child proof knob covers just in case.

I have an open entertainment/media center and my inspector didn't say anything about it. I have 4 electronic things on it.

I would definitely put locks on any cabinet that has cleaning products, anything sharp in them. My inspector said cabinets with pots and pans and things like that are fine to leave the locks off of.

Yes, they look in every room! My dd's room is off limits as well as my basement and she looked in them.

Just a couple more things:
-Check your water temp.
-Make sure you have your fire extinguisher somewhere visible. It can be in a closet, but has to be towards the front where you can see it.
-If you have a fireplace-make sure you have something covering the front of it and also the top of the hearth if you have one
-Make sure you have your emergency contact person(s) written down somewhere-my licensing consultant asked to see a paper with the names and phone #'s written down.

It seems like a lot, but as long as you go over everything (I think there is a check list on the dhs website, but I'm not sure), you'll be fine. All of the licensing consultants around here seem to be really nice! Once it's done, you'll wonder what you were so worried about...lol
momofsix 07:35 PM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by sammys:
I'm in the process of getting licensed in MI and have a few questions about the initial home inspection.

I have a gas stove so the knobs are in the front (within toddler reach), do I just take the knobs off?

Our TV stand is open so the xbox and dvd player are in the open per say. Is this ok?

Should I put locks on the kitchen cleaning cabinets?

Are they really going to look in every room? My house has two bedrooms upstairs but I am only doing the daycare on the main floor.

I guess I just don't know what to expect and I want to be safer than sorry!
Gas stove-my knobs are in the front too-nothing was said.
TV stuff should be fine too.
Definitely put locks on cleaning supplies. Also remember to have ALL sharp things up high or locked up and things like plastic bags, waxed paper, tin foil etc. all inaccessible too.
Make sure you've got all of you smoke alarms where they need to be too.
They checked my whole house-even though the upstairs is not a part of the daycare at all.
I went through the checklist on the website and made sure I had everything they listed on there done. They didn't check near all the things I thought they would-but you just never know what it is they're going to check!
Lucy 07:37 PM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:

Yes, they look in every room! My dd's room is off limits as well as my basement and she looked in them.

Same in my state. My lady told me it was because they need to be sure we don't have something like a marijuana growing business on the side. Or a prisoner in shackles LOL. Ok, that was extreme, but you get the drift!
TwinKristi 08:33 PM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by Lucy:
Same in my state. My lady told me it was because they need to be sure we don't have something like a marijuana growing business on the side. Or a prisoner in shackles LOL. Ok, that was extreme, but you get the drift!
Yeah there's a story going around that they did an inspection and the off limits bedroom had a meth lab in it! So yes they check every room but they usually just take a look and don't do a thorough inspection or anything.

You have the answers you need it seems! Good luck! I was so horribly nervous for mine and he didn't ask to see 1/4 of what I expected. It was a pretty quick visit really. Took longer to enter info into the computer and print his papers out.
coolconfidentme 03:19 AM 12-10-2013
Different state, but my initial visit she checked upstairs. We were in the middle of converting it into an apartment. (we don't live here, but stay over occasionally) She said as long as the baby gate was in place at the foot of the stairs, she would have no reason to go up there..., except to check the fire extinguisher at the top of the stairs & that was all.
Daycaregranny 06:38 AM 12-10-2013
Inspections usually go pretty easy but are a little overwhelming esp. When you don't know what to expect. Even if something is wrong they usually just tell you what it is and expect you to have it fixed by the next time they are there so relax it's all good. I guess every state is different but some things that might be overlooked are ( at least in Maine):
Water temp
A different trash for dirty diapers (we can't use the same one for reg. trash)
All outlets are covered
Posted emergency exit (stupid but we have to)
CPR/first aid cert.
dhhs policy book available to parents
Our pack n plays have to be stamped with that cert. label
We can't do dishes and wash hands in the same sink
Need diaper changing station or pad with all sanitizing gear available
Any pets have shots and up to date records
We have to have a fridge thermometer in fridge and freezer
Copy of your daycare contract ( your policy to include sickness, holidays, medicines and emergency plan including contacts and a back up person in case you have an emergency)
Emergency numbers posted
A good first aid kit with all the stuff needed

It sounds like a lot but it's really not that bad.
Maria2013 09:14 AM 12-10-2013
Originally Posted by momofsix:
Gas stove-my knobs are in the front too-nothing was said.
then it really depends on the inspector cause I know a provider in Sterling HGTS that was told to remove them

it really should Not come down to inspector's preferences, there should be same rule for all at least in the same State
SunnyDay 09:50 AM 12-10-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
I'm not sure of the knobs. I would take them off or buy the child proof knob covers just in case.

I have an open entertainment/media center and my inspector didn't say anything about it. I have 4 electronic things on it.

I would definitely put locks on any cabinet that has cleaning products, anything sharp in them. My inspector said cabinets with pots and pans and things like that are fine to leave the locks off of.

Just a couple more things:
-Check your water temp.
-Make sure you have your fire extinguisher somewhere visible. It can be in a closet, but has to be towards the front where you can see it.
-If you have a fireplace-make sure you have something covering the front of it and also the top of the hearth if you have one
-Make sure you have your emergency contact person(s) written down somewhere-my licensing consultant asked to see a paper with the names and phone #'s written down.

It seems like a lot, but as long as you go over everything (I think there is a check list on the dhs website, but I'm not sure), you'll be fine. All of the licensing consultants around here seem to be really nice! Once it's done, you'll wonder what you were so worried about...lol
Good advice here! My licensing consultant was really laid back, but I know not everyone is so lucky.

There will be time to ask questions at your orientation, so bring a list!
sammys 10:50 AM 12-10-2013
Does the orientation come before the inspection?
sammys 10:52 AM 12-10-2013
And thank you all! I know I will be super nervous when it comes time, but I feel a little more relaxed
melilley 11:05 AM 12-10-2013
Yes, you go to orientation and then you have the inspection. The licensing consultants around here are really laid back too.
melilley 11:06 AM 12-10-2013
Originally Posted by Maria2013:
then it really depends on the inspector cause I know a provider in Sterling HGTS that was told to remove them

it really should Not come down to inspector's preferences, there should be same rule for all at least in the same State
You would think so! It doesn't make sense, but I guess different people could interpret things differently.?
momofsix 11:07 AM 12-10-2013
Yes, orientation comes first and you actually get your license beforeyour inspection! (this is one of the things they are trying to change that I actually agree with).
melilley 11:08 AM 12-10-2013
Originally Posted by momofsix:
Yes, orientation comes first and you actually get your license beforeyour inspection! (this is one of the things they are trying to change that I actually agree with).
I always thought it was weird that MI does it like this, it doesn't make any sense at all!
SunnyDay 11:09 AM 12-10-2013
Yes. Once licensing receives your application, they will send a letter stating when your orientation is scheduled for.

Are you still planning on getting a group license? If so, you will schedule your inspection with your licensing consultant after your orientation, and they will come and inspect before your license is issued.

If you are getting a family license, after your orietation you will send in a form stating you comply with the rules, and your license (or I guess it is considered a registration) will be issued right away. Then they inspect after a set amount of time (90 days I think?)
melilley 11:13 AM 12-10-2013
Originally Posted by SunnyDay:
Yes. Once licensing receives your application, they will send a letter stating when your orientation is scheduled for.

Are you still planning on getting a group license? If so, you will schedule your inspection with your licensing consultant after your orientation, and they will come and inspect before your license is issued.

If you are getting a family license, after your orietation you will send in a form stating you comply with the rules, and your license (or I guess it is considered a registration) will be issued right away. Then they inspect after a set amount of time (90 days I think?)
Oh yeah, I forgot that they do that for group homes.

My inspection was less than a month after orientation. I think they have up to 90 days to do the inspection, it just depends on how busy they are on how fast they will come and do it.
sammys 12:11 PM 12-10-2013
Yep group home, I am done with everything except renewing my CPR/First Aid/BBP which is Saturday and then I will send everything in!
Reply Up