Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Payment During Covid-19
VAmomof4 02:20 PM 03-25-2020
I have been closed for almost two weeks now (not sure when I'll reopen) because all my parents are working from home due to Covoid 19. They just announced schools are closed for the remainder of the year.
I have two parents that are school teachers and will still receive regular paychecks. Would you charge them as usual for the next 10 weeks? Discount? Have them attend a few days a week?
Cat Herder 04:09 AM 03-26-2020
I have no advice because it is more of a personal choice. I did not want your post to continue with no reply, either.

I, personally, could not come up with a defendable reason to close and charge full tuition. We are only mandated to have no more than 10 people (staff, family members and children) per self-contained room. We have been asked to stay open and continue universal precautions, as usual. I have teachers working from home, too, but their kids have been here every day and plan to continue.

It is a complicated issue.
Annalee 05:09 AM 03-26-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I have no advice because it is more of a personal choice. I did not want your post to continue with no reply, either.

I, personally, could not come up with a defendable reason to close and charge full tuition. We are only mandated to have no more than 10 people (staff, family members and children) per self-contained room. We have been asked to stay open and continue universal precautions, as usual. I have teachers working from home, too, but their kids have been here every day and plan to continue.

It is a complicated issue.
A positive to all this and hopefully this is happening around the other states......providers can now apply for grants to cover expenses incurred due to staff-payment, supplies not being available, etc. If providers had known this, this would not have been an issue in our state.
daycarediva 05:13 AM 03-26-2020
I wouldn't ethically charge if I wasn't available to provide care.

If I was and they opted not to come, I would charge full rate.

New handbook amendment- pandemic.
Msdunny 08:35 AM 03-26-2020
(I posted this on another thread about this, so is a copied response. )

Our area is going into mandated self-quarantine tomorrow. I sent parents an email, asking them to pay 1/2 rate minus 25% for the next month (I do not have any parents deemed 'essential to the infrastructure'). That came to $80/week for families. 2 thought it was more than fair, 1 is ok with it for the time being (her husband may lose his job in all this),and one hasn't replied. She will most likely get a full-rate invoice today so maybe I can get some kind of response from her.

Thankfully, my husband can work from home, and he started working at Target over the holidays part-time. He loves keeping busy at Target, so he will stay there even if his full-time job shuts down for a while. We have savings, so I am ok to just ask for place-holder tuition for a while. I did tell parents that if I don't have any income, I will most likely have to go to Target also, and my not re-open at the end of all of this. I am bored every day, though, with no kiddos here - the aggravation is worth the brain activity!
Tags:covid-19
Reply Up