Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Stale-Slump A Roo
KDC 07:49 AM 05-23-2013
I've been doing daycare for about 8 years now and I'm hitting a rough patch. Kids are acting a little more crazy than usual, and I think it's because my program is getting a little stale. I've had the same kids for at least 3 years, so many of my 'idea's' have already been used. I've searched pinterest for additional ideas, but after many fails... I'm just feeling blah.

I have two groups of kids mainly right now. I have a group (four), 3-4 yr. olds & another group of 3 (6-7) year olds and one 14 month old. The little guy takes 2 naps (stinks when you want to go to the park, or for nature walks, good because he's occupied while I work with the others).

I've done lemonade/cookie sales, bubbles, chalk, ride on toys, puzzles, we have a large playroom filled with a slide, books, cars, dolls, trains, kitchen with 2 large buckets of food. We've played restaurant, school we have a 'vet' station, I even have a Jumpy jump that I spend 15 minutes setting up, and they jump for 5 mins, then are 'bored'. Ugh. What else can I possibly do? I have discovery bottles, sensory pizza table (large circle wood chips with red felt for sauce, and different textured paper/felt/poms for the toppings) Last month we had water beads. We have board games for the larger kids, but lately they spend 5 mins playing, 10 minutes arguing over the rules, and the next 10 minutes finding other destructive ways to destroy the game (using the choice cards and credit cards, crumbling them up, losing them in couch, etc. They have access to crayons, markers, plain white paper, construction paper, coloring books & scissors (older kids have unlimited access to glue, markers and scissors - younger ones supervised). It's going to be a long summer

I need some inspiration that won't break the bank. I'm headed to the library to get some books on party/summer games. I find myself giving them chunks of free time and getting frustrated with the arguing over the 1 toys they all want. I set a timer, and we rotate, but they whine and complain "it's not fair".

My imagination is gone. I like the the flower station idea I saw on here, but am imagining a huge mess, dirty children's clothes, flower pots strewn all over the yard. For Mother's day we did flower pots (handprints & message) and I had them help fill the pots with flowers. 2 were into watering everything in sight, and the others could care less, they'd rather play 'tag' swing or play in the sand box.

Anyone got ideas I can steal?
Michael 02:12 PM 05-23-2013
Some ideas: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...mer+activities

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30531
butterfly 11:27 AM 05-24-2013
My kids were in a similar boat recently. I removed 3/4 of the items in the play room. I brought in the very basic toys. I took out everything that was fought over and if they fought over what was left, it was removed also.

I've never seen my kids get so creative in their free time play. It was amazing! And they are starting to be more respectful and sharing...

It's easier on me too, because I have less each week to sanitize. Less to clean up everyday. Things stay organized...

Now, when I rotate things out and introduce "new" things they are so excited to have the new item to play with.

Maybe they have too many options?
butterfly 11:28 AM 05-24-2013
And... I love your pizza making idea. I'm stealing it!
Tags:summer - crafts, summer activities
Reply Up