Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Summer Camp Daycare
Thriftylady 08:19 AM 04-29-2016
I know some providers run a "summer camp" type thing in daycare and I plan to as well this year. I thought we could share our kids favorite summer activities that would work with this for each other.

Right now, I am in the process of saving and washing out things I would normally throw away. Dish soap bottles, shampoo bottles, ketchup bottles, etc. for water play toys.

My kids also just love to get to do things outside we normally do inside so eating and art outside they think is a treat. We will do some messy outside art such as painting with our feet and such.
thrivingchildcarecom 09:49 AM 04-29-2016
I don't usually advertise as a Summer Camp but I guess the dc sort of naturally turns into that with the return of some of the school age kids.

Anyway, one of the favorite days in the Summer is water-play Fridays. The kids just love getting wet and cooling off in the water. We run a cozy coupe car wash, water table fun and last year added a water sprinkler mat.
Thriftylady 03:32 PM 04-29-2016
I love the idea of water play Fridays! We are going to play in the water, but I can see how assigning actual days to things can help keep the kids from asking every five minutes "when are we going to XYZ?".

So with that in mind, I have come up with this. Tell me what you think. Still looking for more ideas and thoughts to share with each other!

Monday - Science Monday! How is our garden growing? What does it need to day to survive? Does anything need harvested? What science experiments can we do today? Can we make a rocket? How do we make play doh? What makes a rubber band car go?

Tuesday - Arts and Crafts Tuesday! Lets get out the art supplies and get to work. Can you make a paper machete mask? How about a 3D summer scene in a box?

Wednesday - Healthy bodies and minds! What kind of healthy meal can we create with the bounty from our garden and a trip to the farmer's market? From apple muffins to succotash lets learn to cook!

Thursday - Field trip Thursday! From our local parks and lakes to museums and zoos, lets go have some fun!

Friday - Outdoor games and water play Friday! Lets break out the games and some water and get some exercise while having a blast!

ETA: We would also be journaling and reading every day, and doing our growth charts for the garden and a weather chart to mark the weather each day!
Pepperth 04:55 PM 04-29-2016
Originally Posted by thrivingchildcarecom:
I don't usually advertise as a Summer Camp but I guess the dc sort of naturally turns into that with the return of some of the school age kids.

Anyway, one of the favorite days in the Summer is water-play Fridays. The kids just love getting wet and cooling off in the water. We run a cozy coupe car wash, water table fun and last year added a water sprinkler mat.
Love the crazy coupe car wash idea. How do you make it?

Thrifty Lady, I think you are on the right track for having all school agers. The older kids I had last summer enjoyed writing books and illustrating them. We tie dyed shirts outside. They put on singing and dancing performances. Homemade ice cream is fun.
sharlan 05:08 PM 04-29-2016
My summer schedule

Mondays - sensory activities - play doh, shaving cream, paint, bubbles, etc in the morning. Pool in the afternoon.

Tuesdays - Raging Waters - a local water park

Wednesdays - chill day - nothing planned other than pool in the afternoon. Sometimes we'll use that day for outings to Knott's Berry Farm, museums, zoo, or aquarium.

Thursdays - Corona del Mar Beach - or if the weather isn't nice a museum, zoo, or aquarium.

Fridays - movies in the morning, pizza for lunch, and pool in the afternoon.

During our last week of summer, we go to Knott's Berry Farm and whale watching.

Everyday will include reading and something educational like work sheets or flash cards or videos.

Lots of caffeine in the form of iced tea for me.
childcaremom 05:08 PM 04-29-2016
I posted this in another thread:
http://frugalfun4boys.com/2014/07/21...ered-lego-car/

I only have my own girls as school agers. Plus teens. I will have 1 little over the summer months. I am changing half of the playroom into an art studio for them. Also will have the sewing machines set up for them. I foresee a lot of friendship bracelets in my future and knitting.

I am considering doing this: https://www.mailordermystery.com/
It would be right up their alley.

Probably something with dinosaurs. My youngest dd wants to be a paleotologist.
sharlan 05:09 PM 04-29-2016
A fun activity that we do at the end of summer is to make a scrap book. I take pictures all summer of our various adventures. I then print them out and let the kids make scrap books with the pictures.
Thriftylady 05:30 PM 04-29-2016
Originally Posted by Pepperth:
Love the crazy coupe car wash idea. How do you make it?

Thrifty Lady, I think you are on the right track for having all school agers. The older kids I had last summer enjoyed writing books and illustrating them. We tie dyed shirts outside. They put on singing and dancing performances. Homemade ice cream is fun.
I was thinking we would do ice cream in the ziplock baggies as a science experiment.
Tags:summer - camp, summer activities
Reply Up