Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Term "Homeschooling"
DCMomOf3 11:45 AM 03-01-2011
What does it really mean? I have always considered homeschooling as educating kids at home instead of sending them to an institution for Kindergarten and up.

I have quite a few friends who "home school" their 3 and 4 year olds. I don't want or mean to minimize what they do with their children, but I feel the term is becoming a catchword for quite a few stay-at-home moms to justify to the outside world why they don't work.

Is doing preschool things with your children homeschooling, or just being a good parent? I have been thinking about this for a while and just don't feel learned enough about homeschooling to come to an answer.
Zoe 11:50 AM 03-01-2011
With homeschooling, I believe, you have to have an approved curriculum to teach and work with your child. I could be wrong, but that's what I've been told. Otherwise, how would the school district or prospective colleges know that the child is being properly educated?

I think you're right about some people throwing the term around, and I believe a parent should work with their children regardless, if for nothing else some bonding time! I have never heard about "homeschooling" a preschooler! Just school age kids!
momofsix 11:50 AM 03-01-2011
I would not call preschool homeschooling, unless I knew for sure it was the beginning of many years of homeschooling. I never called ourselves a "homeschool" family until I was teaching actual "grades". The term homeschooling isn't really needed until you have to tell your public school district why your children aren't attending.
littlemissmuffet 11:53 AM 03-01-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
What does it really mean? I have always considered homeschooling as educating kids at home instead of sending them to an institution for Kindergarten and up.

I have quite a few friends who "home school" their 3 and 4 year olds. I don't want or mean to minimize what they do with their children, but I feel the term is becoming a catchword for quite a few stay-at-home moms to justify to the outside world why they don't work.

Is doing preschool things with your children homeschooling, or just being a good parent? I have been thinking about this for a while and just don't feel learned enough about homeschooling to come to an answer.
Thanks for posing this question. I was wondering just a few minute ago what another poster meant when they said they "homeschooled" their kids...
momofsix 11:54 AM 03-01-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:
With homeschooling, I believe, you have to have an approved curriculum to teach and work with your child. I could be wrong, but that's what I've been told. Otherwise, how would the school district or prospective colleges know that the child is being properly educated?
Not always, it depends on where you live and what the laws are. My oldest was accepted into college and the Air Force, and the next two into college as well. I kept good records, they got a diploma from the state and did excellent on their ACTs.
Cat Herder 11:54 AM 03-01-2011
It is one of those Grey area things. I tried to join a local Home school group since they have great field trips with other kids for socialization (SA) and they said I was not a Home school.

I used Virtual Public School through K-12 and sponsored by the State.

IDK, when my kids were ready to go to Brick-and Mortar school, in junior high, they just walked through....they were already State public school students.

No fuss, no muss and all the standardized testing/requirements were in line with accreditation...Just the way I liked it. I had a teacher available to me at all times via cell, home visit or email, since I am not one...

My kids are going to College if I have to roll them to class every day ALA "Silence of the Lambs"...
jen 12:00 PM 03-01-2011
I wonder if people say they are home-schooling preschoolers, if what they mean is they planning on homeschooling from K on up and are just excited and getting a jump start...

I'm sure that they aren't trying to "justify" anything...why would they need to justify staying home to care for their children?
Blackcat31 12:07 PM 03-01-2011
I just went through this with a past daycare family who is having issues with her child in the public school system. He is 8 and she decided to "homeschool" him. Anyways, after 14 days of him not being enrolled in school she got a call from our local truancy officer and was told that if a parent chooses to homeschool they must register with the Department of Education as a homeshool. If they are not registered or attending a public or private school, theyare considered truant.

She said that the state says all children age 7 and up must be enrolled in a public, private or homeschool. If she registers as a homeschool, there are specific guidelines she must follow and do so that her child is being properly educated. I don't know about homeschooling a preschooler because according to our state rules a child doesn't need to be enrolled in any type of school until age 7.

I don't know if this is how it is in all states though....
daysofelijah 12:21 PM 03-01-2011
In MN you have to register kids 7 and up homeschooling. Since I have a degree I just had to fill out a basic information form and send a copy of my diploma. That's all I have to do. If you do not have a degree you have to submit quarterly progress reports. I'm not sure if there is more that that, haven't looked into it since it does not apply to us.

So I only have one of my kids registered so far. I homeschool my ds 7, ds 6. I also have my 3 yo dd, but I wouldn't say I am homeschooling her. Next year I will order a K4 curriculum from Abeka and do it with her. My sons do the whole Abeka curriculum, one in kindergarten, the other in second grade. We also belong to a homeschool co-op at our local church.

eta: There seems to be a movement of moms of preschoolers who have fun doing projects with their kids and make really fancy blogs about it. I suppose they consider that homeschooling. I do think it's a little funny to hear someone say they homeschool their 3 year old.
Danielle 02:37 PM 03-01-2011
I homeschool my preschool...yes he's 3 and yes I have a blog about it Just because he's not kindergarten or higher (did you know kindergarten is a requirement?) doesn't mean I'm just throwing the term around. Most days we have "school". I think it's different than what just a parent would do. Non-homeschooling parents are sending their kids to preschool and we are doing what they do in preschool. So..to sum up my rambling...me homeschooling my preschooler is in lue of sending him to preschool.
Danielle 02:38 PM 03-01-2011
Oh! And I love that other homeschooling moms of preschoolers are blogging. It's my favorite way to get ideas.
marniewon 05:32 PM 03-01-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:
Originally Posted by momofsix:
Not always, it depends on where you live and what the laws are. My oldest was accepted into college and the Air Force, and the next two into college as well. I kept good records, they got a diploma from the state and did excellent on their ACTs.
Yep, just like momofsix said - rules vary by state. MI is one of the more lenient states. There is no mandatory testing or curriculum. I graduated my step-dd and my own dd and both are in college now. Colleges will go on the SAT and/or ACT test scores, and their own college testing. My dd scored very well on the ACT and is doing awesome in college.
squareone 05:39 PM 03-01-2011
Originally Posted by Danielle:
I homeschool my preschool...yes he's 3 and yes I have a blog about it Just because he's not kindergarten or higher (did you know kindergarten is a requirement?) doesn't mean I'm just throwing the term around. Most days we have "school". I think it's different than what just a parent would do. Non-homeschooling parents are sending their kids to preschool and we are doing what they do in preschool. So..to sum up my rambling...me homeschooling my preschooler is in lue of sending him to preschool.
Danielle, do you plan to continue homeschooling your son through 12th grade or are you homeschooling for preschool only?
Danielle 05:56 PM 03-01-2011
Originally Posted by squareone:
Danielle, do you plan to continue homeschooling your son through 12th grade or are you homeschooling for preschool only?
I don't have an end date in mind. As long as it's still going well (kids thriving, etc), I'll continue.
DCMomOf3 06:05 PM 03-01-2011
In looking at my public school website, I found it interesting that they work with families who home school using Calvert School for Pre-K - 12th grade.
marniewon 05:44 AM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
In looking at my public school website, I found it interesting that they work with families who home school using Calvert School for Pre-K - 12th grade.
Yes, and it's accredited also. However, the curriculum you use depends on the WHY of homeschooling. When I pulled my kids out of PS, it was for several reasons. One of the reasons was I wanted to be in charge of what I teach them. I wanted to pick the curriculum, not have it handed to me and told this is what I MUST teach.

That's not to say that I don't appreciate and use PS resources when it works for us, but I do prefer to pick my own curriculum.
Tags:homeschool
Reply Up