Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does Anyone Homeschool And Do Daycare?
Binkybobo 12:01 PM 10-29-2012
I feel like the public school system is failing my children, by spending most of the school day memorizing the answers to standardized tests. I do not want to shell out the cash for private school, but I do not know how I would manage time between daycare and home school. I would like to be abe to teach the preschoolers in my care, and have filled up pretty much scheduled my daycare like a preschool day with no room to take a break for homeschool. I would love to homeschool my own children, and feel that I can teach them so many things outside of the realm of memorizing test strategies. I know that this is not the teachers' faults. I have many friends who are teaches who feel like their hands are tied when it comes to this. What have your experiences been as a homeschooled child, homeschooling parent, and/or homeschooling parent who does daycare as well?
Blackcat31 12:49 PM 10-29-2012
Welcome to the forum!

Your status has been upgraded so you can now post without moderation.

I think there are a couple providers on this forum that homeschool and run a child care.

I am sure one of them will be happy to answer any questions you might have
Country Kids 01:02 PM 10-29-2012
I homeschooled for 7 years and it was extremely hard for me. I even went a few years to teaching preschool only to make it easier but there wasn't much money in that and it still was hard.

I felt bad not being there to help my child as thats part of homeschooling but I was also being paid for teaching other peoples children. I even tried the family dynamic teaching and it still was hard.

We finally enrolled the child and they have been doing awesome. Winning awards, receiving NJHS, two teachers requested this child this year for their classes (middle school), on yearbook commitee. Just doing awesome!

Also, the noice of the child care really was hard for this child to learn with. Very different then a noisey classroom at school-shriller, higher pitched screaming, crying, throwing tantrum style-
SquirrellyMama 01:31 PM 10-29-2012
I do I have a system this year that is working really well.
Unregistered 02:03 PM 10-29-2012
Originally Posted by SquirrellyMama:
I do I have a system this year that is working really well.
Would you care to share that system?
SquirrellyMama 04:39 PM 10-29-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Would you care to share that system?
Why sure All of my kids have an expandable folder which has sections labeled Mon-Fri. Each Sunday I put all of their work in for the week. Spelling is on dvd so that is not in the folder.

The kids have some work they can do independently and some they do with me. If I'm unavailable they work on their independent work and I work with them when I can.

We had some trouble in the beginning with two of my kids saying they were waiting for me to give them their work. After a couple of talks about personal responsibility we are good to go (for the most part )

Today we also implemented a block schedule. We split up their subjects so that on Monday they do grammar/writing, Tuesday is spelling/Spanish, Wednesday is history/geography, Thursday is science and Friday is math. They do a week's worth of work in each subject on that day. It worked out well today. It cut down on the amount of books I had to find and switching of subjects.

My kids are 7, 9 and 11. My 9 year old now gets up some mornings before I do so he can get started on his work. They know exactly what they need to do. They can also get their spelling going on the computer.

K
Angelsj 06:56 PM 10-29-2012
I have been homeschooling and doing daycare for about 22 years.
I was providing daycare long before I started homeschooling, so I kind of did it the other way around.

I have eight kids. The three oldest are working, the next three are in college, and the youngest two are still homeschooling.
It can absolutely be done. We have done chemistry experiments at 10pm, older children have read to younger ones, older kids help little ones with math, and my 11 year old regularly changes diapers (she won't change stinky ones )
Sometimes, the babies are the lesson. Sometimes, they get interrupted and must learn patience.
Today, our spelling test was interrupted by a toilet training little girl who just knew she had to pee (she didn't) FOUR times. What did my youngest two learn today? Not only did they learn 20 new spelling words, but they also learned that sometimes putting someone else's needs above your own is necessary and important.

They learned where the patella and the phalanges are located...and so did the 5 year old that comes after school. They learned not to leave their prized oil pastels within reach of the one year old, and the joy of having that one year old call out their name and snuggle with them because they are that child's personal favorite.

If it is something that is important to you, you will figure it out. And it does not have to be a forever decision. If you try it for a year or even two, and decide it isn't what you want/need, I promise you will NOT have screwed up your kids.
Michael 10:38 PM 10-29-2012
We also homeschool. Here are more threads: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=homeschool
Binkybobo 08:48 AM 10-30-2012
Thanks guys. I am confident now that I can do it. I will go through the older threads at nap time. At the present moment I only accept kids between the ages of 2.5 and 5. I will probably bump the age up to 4+ next year, and keep it small until I get the hang of things. My own children are 4 and 10.
Binkybobo 12:27 PM 10-30-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Welcome to the forum!

Your status has been upgraded so you can now post without moderation.

I think there are a couple providers on this forum that homeschool and run a child care.

I am sure one of them will be happy to answer any questions you might have
Thanks!!!!!!!!
AmyLeigh 01:04 PM 10-30-2012
Originally Posted by Binkybobo:
I feel like the public school system is failing my children, by spending most of the school day memorizing the answers to standardized tests. I do not want to shell out the cash for private school, but I do not know how I would manage time between daycare and home school. I would like to be abe to teach the preschoolers in my care, and have filled up pretty much scheduled my daycare like a preschool day with no room to take a break for homeschool. I would love to homeschool my own children, and feel that I can teach them so many things outside of the realm of memorizing test strategies. I know that this is not the teachers' faults. I have many friends who are teaches who feel like their hands are tied when it comes to this. What have your experiences been as a homeschooled child, homeschooling parent, and/or homeschooling parent who does daycare as well?
I started doing daycare so I could continue to homeschool. It's tough at times, but so is rushing kids out the door in the mornings, homework and activities in the evenings and all the extra drama that comes with traditional school. Up until this year, we used a K12 virtual academy. I like it, it just doesn't serve my family well anymore. This year we have gone independent, more child-led learning. Right now I only have one dcg, which helps, of course, but when I had 3 more dck last year, everyone knew that my children needed time with me to do school work. I would read my ds's K literature read alouds during lunch for everyone. The older dcb's were always invited to join ds in K work, as long as they didn't distract him. I would work with dd after lunch, during quiet/nap time. Look into workboxes to help you be more organized and encourage your older child to be an independent learner.
If you do decide to pull your child out of school, deschool for a while. Let your child decompress from the pressures of school and adjust to life at home. Let him/her be your assistant with the daycare, and you will begin to see how valuable life learning is.
I hope it all works out for you.
MonkeyingAround 07:10 AM 10-31-2012
We homeschooled for 3 years, all the while I was babysitting kids. We used a workbox system for our school-aged kids, as well as the preschool kids.

My oldest (now 4th grade) had 12 workboxes (by subject) and the younger and preschool-age kids had 6 workboxes. The school agers had their actual lessons in each box by subject and would work through them box by box. If the box had a "MOM" sticker on it then they would come and get me to work on it (it meant I needed to give them a lesson, a test, etc.).

The preschool boxes had things like blocks, counters to sort, paper & crayons, etc. They loved moving through their boxes and it kept everyone busy and on track.
Soccermom 07:33 AM 10-31-2012
Originally Posted by Binkybobo:
A friend of mine has a small daycare and homeschools. She loves it. She only has 1 small DCB (He is 2). Then she has 3 SA DCKS who come afterschool. It is the ideal situation because she can do outings and things with her own 3 children and the 3 YO DCB. Then her kids get the luxury of being able to play with some kids their own age afterschool.
I have and still continue to consider this option as well. Public school is really getting to me and every day there is a new incident around here where a child is hurt or injured because of bullying. Just the other day a child on a school bus stabbed a bully...I mean I get tha the bullied him and the child lashed out but my word, that is awful!
The one large daycare we have in our area is not helping teach children how to behave and get along well either and most kids go there so they bring those horrible behaviors to school with them. The kids there are left to do whatever they want and the bullying at that daycare is horrid!
Binkybobo 11:13 AM 10-31-2012
Wow! You guys are amazing!I am sure that it won't be a breeze, but I am excited about the possibilities! Step 1. Find out what a work box is!
Maybe I'll start putting boxes and things together now sincei don't plan to start until next sxhool year. Thanks!
shelby 03:25 PM 10-31-2012
I also homeschool and do daycare. It can be done but sometimes it is hard. My girls work independently. I do history with them during nap time... but sometimes like yesterday and today.. we have not gotten to it.. we will play catch up tomorrow.

They also help me with the dcks. one will work on a subject while the other is playing with the kiddos. and then they switch. It can be done...
Tags:homeschool
Reply Up