Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Stop Taking The Toys!
providerandmomof4 05:29 PM 11-12-2013
I have a 2yr dcb that constantly tries to take off with my toys at pick up. I made the mistake one time when he was fairly new, of letting dcm talk me into leaving with the toy, and bringing it back the next day. I knew when it happened that it was a mistake because he is one of those kids that acts completely different in front of his mom than with me. Mom gives in to everything and offers a "surprise" or treat...just for following the rules. Anyway. After that, I've talked with him and his sister about the rules, and how my toys stay at my house...etc. Previously, I've made sure that he didn't have any toys in his hands when his mom pulled up and had him get ready for mom.
So today, I didn't notice he had a toy until his mom is in the house and he is hugging her hello. So I calmly walk up to him and take the toy out of his hand and say, "we can't any toys...little Johnny, you know the rules." He proceeds to throw the most horrendous fit you have ever seen, complete with hitting his mom in the face after she picks him up to comfort him. I could't help but to shake my head and let her deal with it. I practically pushed them out the door. I'm serious, it's 6:30, and I am not in the mood for a screaming fit. I don't feel bad about taking the toy at all, but mom looked at me like I was being harsh or petty or something.....
KidGrind 07:03 PM 11-12-2013
I am just glad I am blunt during orientation and contract review.

I don’t have time for Titantic goodbyes.

GEEEEEET OUT!
hope 05:38 AM 11-13-2013
Parents that let their children slide on the rules wonder why their children hit, scream and have fits. Well, if you tell little Johnny that he doesn't need to follow dc rules and he can take toys home even if provider said he can't than why do you expect little Johnny to follow any other rule? Rules are made to be followed all the time. If you tell a child some times it's ok to break the rules than they will always break the rules. I let parents know this. If I let little Johnny slide this time than he may want to slide when I ask that he shares or that he not hit.
Rules are Rules.....no exceptions.
Blackcat31 07:18 AM 11-13-2013
Originally Posted by providerandmomof4:
I have a 2yr dcb that constantly tries to take off with my toys at pick up. I made the mistake one time when he was fairly new, of letting dcm talk me into leaving with the toy, and bringing it back the next day. I knew when it happened that it was a mistake because he is one of those kids that acts completely different in front of his mom than with me. Mom gives in to everything and offers a "surprise" or treat...just for following the rules. Anyway. After that, I've talked with him and his sister about the rules, and how my toys stay at my house...etc. Previously, I've made sure that he didn't have any toys in his hands when his mom pulled up and had him get ready for mom.
So today, I didn't notice he had a toy until his mom is in the house and he is hugging her hello. So I calmly walk up to him and take the toy out of his hand and say, "we can't any toys...little Johnny, you know the rules." He proceeds to throw the most horrendous fit you have ever seen, complete with hitting his mom in the face after she picks him up to comfort him. I could't help but to shake my head and let her deal with it. I practically pushed them out the door. I'm serious, it's 6:30, and I am not in the mood for a screaming fit. I don't feel bad about taking the toy at all, but mom looked at me like I was being harsh or petty or something.....
There is NO way I would allow that kind of violence or aggression in my home.

This would grounds for a serious discussion with mom. She needs to NOT to learn than this is NOT normal toddler behavior. Hitting isn't ever ok and parents who choose to look the other way or make excuses for bad behavior are only creating a bigger issue for down the road.
julie 07:34 AM 11-13-2013
Mom would now be required to text/phone when she is 5 minutes away and that kid would be ready to go and shoved out the door. I expect parents to take control of their kids when they are in my house. I have no problem saying no and enforcing my rules and only people that are on board with that are allowed in. She can deal with the tantrum in the car, but there is no way the other kids or you should finish every day like that, and no way the parent should be acting like it's YOUR FAULT.
Reply Up