Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Do Parents Make ME Have To Be The *itch?
mrsnj 06:40 PM 12-27-2013

I sent home notice to my new parent three times reminding about payment being due these two weeks as she decided to take off. Two just general reminders and Friday was a direct "Payment is due Monday since you have not opted to prepay" notice (which now meant she had to come here and make payment when she wasn't scheduled to be here). I even spoke with the dad as he wanted to know why he had to pay if they weren't here.

Monday comes without payment. Haven't seen her since last Friday. She did send a text saying "Merry Christmas" Wed and that was it. No call. No email. No payment.

My paperwork states no payment, it must be paid in full including late fees along with the current payment or possible termination. It just really stresses me and upsets me that they opt to place me in the meanie chair. Does she think I am joking? That I will forget? Allow her to pay me whenever she pleases? Can't exactly say she wasn't told! So WHY place me in the position of having to do this? *sigh* If I wait until she returns, she will owe me $$$ in fees and be two weeks late in payment!!

I just did two interviews. I am kinda over this family. The child throws tantrums all day and is disruptive. The dad keeps picking up in the middle of my nap time no matter how many times I state I prefer he doesn't but IF he does, to give me notice so I can get him up quietly. Almost every other day, there pulls up the car!! They have paid me late before. Not exactly my fav and best client to be honest. If I could remove one child, this child would be it. This only gives me reason! Kinda hoping she doesn't show with payment. Really pissed off. I do think I am going to change my info to also state that if not paid by the following Monday I have the right to term without further notice. It doesn't right now which is why she is getting notice of late payment instead.

Just do not think it fair that I should have to fight for my payment. I am open. I am sitting here everyday with her empty playpen and still working. Her choice. Not mine. So not sure how she thinks it is ok not to pay at all! . I bet it wouldn't go over well if SHE wasn't paid on time for two weeks!
Josiegirl 04:19 AM 12-28-2013
Do you have anything in your contract about terminating without 2 week notice over non-payment? I think I'd have her letter written up, since they are clearly disobeying your rules. And since you've had interviews(do the families sound hopeful?)
They must have read your paperwork before they signed on and agreed to paying whether they're on vacation or not? I detest it when everything is fine and dandy when they start coming but then all of a sudden they see a problem and try to tweak it to what they want, figuring you'll just go along with it. Grrr.

Oh duh, I just reread your post and yes, I'd write 'em up a letter.
mrsnj 04:54 AM 12-28-2013
No and that's my fault. I was so mad I was just going to term. But when I drew up my info I only state I give them an opportunity to catch it up by Monday and then I can term if not. Will be changing that. See. Always learning and growing thanks to new clients!

Just makes me mad that it's clearly stated. That I sent several reminders that were obviously ignored and yet here I sit still not paid. I cannot understand how parents think that is ok. This is my income. Let's be honest, it would never go over if the parents were told that they would get pd whenever or ignored if they asked their boss where their pay was. So why do they think it's ok here?

Seems all this client does is choose to ignore the rules to suite their needs no matter what I say. Honestly hoping she is a no show Monday too.
Laurel 05:23 AM 12-28-2013
All the possible things that could go wrong with a parent is why I don't have a lengthy contract and just have the basics in it. The basics are how much is owed and when it is due. I also say late fees 'may' be imposed and how much they are.

If it isn't paid then I have the right to do anything I want whenever I want. I can give more time, I can terminate immediately or whatever. I can terminate without giving two weeks notice. They can terminate without any notice. It makes things so much simpler. Good families will give notice when they are leaving because they are good families and I 'request' it. Bad families weren't going to do it anyway and I'd have to fight for the two weeks notice pay if they left without paying it. Not worth it.

As in your case I 'could' terminate immediately. If you have a contract that states that you can't then you're stuck following the contract. I don't like to limit myself that way.

Just a suggestion.

If I were you I would (and I have) ask them how they would feel if their boss didn't pay them on time. I think it really opened one of my parent's eyes. Then one gave me 'notice' one night before they were leaving and they had been with me for 3 years! There was a so called exclusive preschool opening and they had to grab it before it was gone BUT they had been on a list for a long time. I asked dad who dropped off that last morning why they hadn't told me they were on the list because I had possible interviews that I had cancelled. AND his wife used to be a daycare center director.Wow, they upset me! The mom especially was always kinda ditzy but dad seemed normal, lol. With those kinds of parents I try to open their eyes about how this is our paycheck the same as they get one. They wouldn't put up with not getting it and neither will I.

Good luck!

Laurel
mrsnj 05:37 AM 12-28-2013
I'm really kicking myself. Just done with this family. Half of me wishes I sent a term notice instead that includes all issues but I felt since my paperwork stated they had to pay everthing in full by Monday I had to be the better person. I don't need a parent bad mouthing cause I didn't handle it right. If she doesn't choose to show Monday then she is done. If she does then a notice of trial is being given restating my rules n possible term. And I am changing this rule too! Between the child, the parent and now this kinda done
Moppetland 08:02 AM 12-28-2013
I really don't see that demanding your pay for your services is being a **tch. If they had their DCK in a center, you better believe that center would terminate them with no qualms about it and bad mouthing the center for terminating them is not going to do them any good. People are still going to bring their DCKs to that center because they wouldn't understand why that family is bad mouthing because of their non-payment.

This is why I have in my parent handbook and contract that if payment along with late fees aren't paid by the 3rd day, care immediately is suspended. If no payment by the 5th day, then care is terminated. I won't go that long without my payment. It's a possibility that if I terminate them, that I definitely won't get payment. This is why I ask for two weeks of pay when they sign on. I can't take that stress of non-payment. I've been through that. I no longer worry about losing income, because there are always families looking for care.

If you keep ridding yourself of non-paying parents, then you will one day have all good paying parents. It's trial and tribulation.
melilley 12:35 PM 12-30-2013
I'm curious, did they pay yet?

I totally get what you mean! I had to close all last week (I was only open 2 days because of the holiday) because I had no power for a week. I had one dcm ask if she could not pay for last week because her son wasn't there and because they were having money problems. I had to stand my ground and tell her she that per contract, she still had to pay. I do have the parents prepay so she did already pay, but I'm not going to credit her. She wanted it to go for this week! I felt like a *itch at first, but the more I thought about it, like pp said, why should I feel that way? But I just do.
mrsnj 12:57 PM 12-30-2013
Nope. Its in my 'terming' post. No show. No call. No pay. I sent two emails. One Sat. One again this morning. Nothing. Sent a term email at 12:30. Sent my husband to the post office to send a cert./overnight term letter (dup of the email) and by 1:30 I get a text.....Oh sorry. I was busy. I forgot. Time got away. Blah blah blah. He will drop off payment TOMORROW NIGHT. I deleted and didn't respond.

So...blippin...mad!

SO it took a term notice for them to kick butts in gear? Sorry! A little late. I should not be stressing out over getting paid and going through this. Done. I have been popping heartburn pills......I am NOT going to do this!

If he shows tomorrow morning (which I think he will cause I haven't responded) I am turning away with a comment I sent term notice already. If he shows tomorrow night they will have already gotten it and....Well I WON'T BE HOME ANYWAY!

I have been doing this for years. I have had parents play the plead game. I have had ditchers. I have heard it all. But this is my first time ever having a parent ignore me and think I am joking!

Now. Taking votes. Does mom call to *itch about it and wonder why I would term???
melilley 01:08 PM 12-30-2013
Originally Posted by mrsnj:
Nope. Its in my 'terming' post. No show. No call. No pay. I sent two emails. One Sat. One again this morning. Nothing. Sent a term email at 12:30. Sent my husband to the post office to send a cert./overnight term letter (dup of the email) and by 1:30 I get a text.....Oh sorry. I was busy. I forgot. Time got away. Blah blah blah. He will drop off payment TOMORROW NIGHT. I deleted and didn't respond.

So...blippin...mad!

SO it took a term notice for them to kick butts in gear? Sorry! A little late. I should not be stressing out over getting paid and going through this. Done. I have been popping heartburn pills......I am NOT going to do this!

If he shows tomorrow morning (which I think he will cause I haven't responded) I am turning away with a comment I sent term notice already. If he shows tomorrow night they will have already gotten it and....Well I WON'T BE HOME ANYWAY!

I have been doing this for years. I have had parents play the plead game. I have had ditchers. I have heard it all. But this is my first time ever having a parent ignore me and think I am joking!

Now. Taking votes. Does mom call to *itch about it and wonder why I would term???
OOps, sorry, I missed the terming post

I'm betting yes, she will call! And I'm betting it will somehow be your fault...
mrsnj 01:40 PM 12-30-2013
I texted him back. I wasn't going to cause I am steaming. But I do not want him showing up. Basically told him Sorry Charlie in a professional way and that a term for none payment was already sent. His items will be ready Friday night after hours for pick up or I can leave on front step.

And yes...it will be my fault I am sure! Cause she didn't do anything wrong!
mrsnj 01:55 PM 12-30-2013
*sigh*
Dad-"Im sorry. I didn't know. No one told me. I was moving (they split over last week) How much so I can pay" etc etc etc He has texted twice. He have called. And the more he does it the more my stress goes up and the more mad I get.

Dad knew. I had a verbal convo with him the Wed before Christmas. Mom knew. The both knew payment was every Monday. So its a little marshmellowy to me.
providerandmomof4 12:03 PM 01-01-2014
I recently went through the same sort of thing. Dcm came and paid me five minutes after I send a text about terming for non pay/attendance. I just thought, "My gosh...why did I have to go through all that stress if she had the money and could bring it right over!! So over it. I think you did the right thing by not letting them come back. I'm sure I'll regret not doing the same.
tntsmom 09:38 AM 01-02-2014
No payment after that many notices, I would send them a notice in the mail certified, stating the reason for the dismissal and a copy of the contract they signed and state if the child has any belongings left at you home they can come and pick them up at their convenience. I have had to do this a few times. My policy is if you can remember to bring your child, you can remember payment. If they do not bring payment, children are not allowed to stay for care that day or any other days until payment is made.
This is a business and fees are incurred on a daily basis, and to continue to disrespect your asking to please not pick up at nap time or give notification is disrespecting the other parents for their children may need the nap.
That is our break time to catch up on what we need to get done, for care and possibly catch a sandwich, so if they feel that they can treat your business and you with such disrespect it is evident they do, part ways with a smile and make it clear as glass with any other parents what your require and expect in the interview and there should not be any gray area.
Good Luck.
Reply Up