Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Taking Off For Interviews
Unregistered 09:55 AM 04-30-2020
Hi! I had a question I was hoping you guys could give me some insight on. I’ve had my daycare for a few years, but after these shut downs and working less I’ve realized this job really isn’t for me. I can not longer do the 55+ hour weeks, and long days and stay sane. I’m planning on starting to interview for new jobs within the next month or so. Everyone I watch for is full time, so I work 5 days a week minimum from 6:30-5:30 every single day. I know I will not be able to get most interviews done outside of my work hours.

How would you go about getting off of work with only a few days notice to parents? I’m not one to take off days ever, not even sick days. I schedule late evening doctors appointments, or I only close up to an hour earlier with 1 month+ notice. I have no substitutes, it’s just me. I know if I take days off frequently for interviews the parents will question as I’ve watched for them all for years. I feel stuck in this job

I can’t afford to quit my job before finding another one.
Snowmom 10:03 AM 04-30-2020
Are you sure you want to quit altogether?
I bet shortening those hours would make a huge difference.

I don't open until 7:30 and I only take on families who need until 4:30. I switched that a few years back and believe me, it makes a big, big difference in your attitude and well-being.

If you are certain you will be interviewing and don't have anyone to fill in for you, then I'd take it day by day. Meaning, apply for the jobs you only really want or would make it worthwhile (money-wise). Then just close for a sick day on the day of the interview.
Unregistered 03:56 PM 04-30-2020
I have thought about shortening my hours, but I would lose every parent I’m watching for currently. I’ve yet to watch for a parent that would work between those hours. We live in a rural area, so a lot of people are driving farther for work which is why I’m watching for such long days.

I will have to try that. I only worry about parents wondering why I’m closing for sick days in the middle of summer when I don’t take them now.
Snowmom 04:10 PM 04-30-2020
Rural is a tougher market.
Although you might be surprised. It's all in how you market it.
Research contracted hours here to get some ideas on how other providers market shorter hours.

When I first switched, I packaged it as a rate change.

I wrote up my normal hours with an increase of about $40/week for these specific hours (that they currently have). BUT offered a "discount" to those who would shorten their hours. Every 15 minutes to 1/2 hour is a different price. If they don't want to shorten them, that was fine because I made more $, so it justified it (to me). But, they all ended up taking advantage of it.
Then... I eventually had to up my prices again because they all paid far less than I was comfortable with (go figure). So keep that in mind when pricing tiers.

Most parents CAN do one parent drop off/one parent pick up. They just don't WANT to and will take advantage of open-close because "they're paying for it anyway". Take that option away!
Unregistered 05:19 PM 04-30-2020
I understand what you are saying, and that is an idea I had never thought of! So thank you for that. I do have a lot to think about, but I feel like I am still leaning towards closing. I do know none of my current parents would fit in a 9 hour opening window as many of them work an hour away, but it’s still a thought that I am going to look more into. Thanks again
Michael 07:03 PM 04-30-2020
Here’s some threads in Contracted Hours: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ntracted+hours
rosieteddy 06:35 AM 05-01-2020
you have a perfect opportunity to change things. Why not take this time to shorten the hours.The clients can choose to work with you on this. As you have been closed for the pandemic perfect time. Also if you know what job you would like interview now.Maybe you could start before opening.Sometimes it takes an emergency to show us a way to move on.
MyAngels 07:09 AM 05-01-2020
I would just give your current families a heads up by telling them that you have some appointments coming up that you may need to close briefly with short notice. If they press you on why I would just tell them it's not something you'd like to talk about at this point.
bubblegum 08:36 AM 05-01-2020
Originally Posted by myangels:
i would just give your current families a heads up by telling them that you have some appointments coming up that you may need to close briefly with short notice. If they press you on why i would just tell them it's not something you'd like to talk about at this point.
this!
AmyKidsCo 01:20 PM 05-01-2020
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I would just give your current families a heads up by telling them that you have some appointments coming up that you may need to close briefly with short notice. If they press you on why I would just tell them it's not something you'd like to talk about at this point.
Agreed!
Tags:contracted hours
Reply Up