Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fire Drills
TSDaycare 11:44 AM 12-14-2010
Curious as to how long it takes for everyone to get out of the house for fire drills. There are no regulations as to a minimum,but I know they want you out in less than a min. Just wondering what your numbers were and how many kids is that with?
kidkair 01:08 PM 12-14-2010
We are all out in a minute and I have 4 kids usually.
MARSTELAC 05:58 AM 12-15-2010
we usually take up to 2 minutes but there are usually 6 to 12 kids here. We all buddy up get out the door then meet at the end of the driveway where we then walk across the street to the fire hydrant and sing the "911" song together and pretend to call on my cell phone then we go back inside! Hope it never really needs to happen!

How do you all do it in the winter....we need to get our coats and shoes on and then button/zip as we go but that takes a bit of time. I tell the kids we are going out so they start to get ready and then I sound the alarm but that is kind of cheating...
momofsix 08:03 AM 12-15-2010
Yeah, during my training someone asked about winter drills, and she said we could not dress the kids, put boots/shoes on...NOTHING at all!!
Otherwise it wasn't a real drill. She said just change out of their wet socks when we came in! yeah, i'd love to hear the parents with that one! Since I never found that IN WRITING we do prepare first.
I have 3 different exits to use, one out the basement window which takes a little longer-about 2-3 min. depending on the group I have. Going up the steps and out the door can be done in a minute because it's a very easy route and short. I usually have 6 kids. During the winter we don't usually practice going out the window b/c it's just not practical-but the kids still know how if we had to do it, b/c we do it a lot the rest of the year. They think it's so much fun to climb out the window!
juliebug 10:39 AM 12-15-2010
wow in the winter we just walk to the door and say in a real fire we go outside its way to cold to bundle them up to walk out and walk right back in!
DCMomOf3 11:33 AM 12-15-2010
Originally Posted by MARSTELAC:
How do you all do it in the winter....we need to get our coats and shoes on and then button/zip as we go but that takes a bit of time. I tell the kids we are going out so they start to get ready and then I sound the alarm but that is kind of cheating...
I would love to hear responses. I know if its 'inlcement' weather we don't have to actually go outside, so maybe have it on a bad weather day.

I would also like to hear what people do if they leave into a fenced area. Is to the back of the fence (approx 80 feet from house) far enough away?
Tags:emergency plan, fire drill
Reply Up