Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>On My Way...
themoorethemerrier 03:52 PM 09-23-2011
Hiya! I'm Katie, and I am in the process of becoming lisenced in NY as a group family day care, The Moore the Merrier Family Day Care.

I'm sure everything that we do or are planning on doing has been done before but I'll go ahead and give you our background...

My husband and I have four kiddos of our own, we homeschool (during "off" hours) have a small sustainable farm.

My cousin was in a tough place so he asked me if I would be willing to watch his two children. Our local OCFS approached me to ask if I would be willing to get reg/lisc because there was a big need.

I had already been mulling over how to start a "farm to fork" program and get kids back into the garden and enjoying nature. I tested it out on my two little guinea pigs and they loved it, so we're a go!

I'll admit, I'm a bit nervous, especially for the health and safety check on my house - I KNOW there are things that will be on our new to-do list. However, I'm totally psyched because we have a pre-set goal for Kev (my hubs) to be my assistant. I know, it seems odd - maybe - but he's amazing with kids, and for us to be able to work together again has been our prayer for a long time.

Anyway, glad to be here and SUPER glad for the weekly menu thread!!!
Oneluckymom 09:27 PM 09-23-2011
Welcome. I'm sure you'll get a ton of ideas here. Wow, I'm sure the kids will love your farm and you'll have a lot to offer. Good luck and best wishes for a great start!
melskids 06:57 AM 09-25-2011
welcome!

i am in NY too! (upstate, central NY)

is that your last name in your daycare name? thats so funny cause i went to school with a jim moore, (i grew up in dutchess county) who had a younger sister named katie. that would be wild if it was you!!!

i LOVE the idea of the farm being incorporated into your daycare...or is it the other way around? lol

i live on top of a mountain, so we incorporate nature and forest everyday into our program, as well as our big veggie garden. next spring we are planning to add chickens and pigs and maybe even a cow as well. this will be a HUGE learning experience for me, because i am BY FAR a farm girl. lol my hubby and i are an episode straight out of green acres! (he moved me up here 4 years ago...i grew up on pavement...lol) i'll be sure to look for some tips from you now!

youre inspection should go fairly well. everyone at OCFS is really nice and super helpful. (at least in my area) they give you a list, and time to get everything up to regs. as long as you do everything on that list, you'll be fine!!!

and i LOVE that your hubby is going to be working with you. i tried to get mine to get on board, but he's not so into it...lol he's great with them when he is here to help, but he cant see himself doing it for 10 hours a day! lol there are a few other women on here who have their hubby's help them as well.

good luck!
themoorethemerrier 10:16 AM 09-26-2011
Thanks for the welcome, gals!

Nope, I'm a Western New Yorker, have only two sisters, but, yes - Moore is my married name and it was catchy, fun and totally us!
Michael 12:58 PM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by themoorethemerrier:
Hiya! I'm Katie, and I am in the process of becoming lisenced in NY as a group family day care, The Moore the Merrier Family Day Care.

Anyway, glad to be here and SUPER glad for the weekly menu thread!!!
Welcome Katie. I am also a New Yorker (born in the Bronx) but now live mostly in California.
MyAngels 09:24 PM 09-26-2011
Welcome! I know there are at least two other husband and wife teams that are represented here on the forum .
Tags:farm, start a daycare
Reply Up