Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Is Membership Fees Tax Deductible?
wdmmom 07:56 AM 01-08-2013
I have a membership to Sam's Club and it's where I go to purchase all my cleaning, paper and general househould products I use for the daycare.

Can I claim any or all of the $70 membership fee as a deduction?
Blackcat31 08:05 AM 01-08-2013
Kind of random, but you pay $70 for a membership there?

I belong to Sam's Club too but my membership fee is $100!

We are Business Plus members.

My DD (college age) has her own individual membership and she pays $40 annually.

I sure hope it is tax deductible though as the ONLY reason we even bought a membership there was for the daycare.
TomCopeland 10:22 AM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I have a membership to Sam's Club and it's where I go to purchase all my cleaning, paper and general househould products I use for the daycare.

Can I claim any or all of the $70 membership fee as a deduction?
Unfortunately, membership fees are not deductible as a business expense unless they are for a professional organization (NAFCC, local family child care association, etc.). So, membership fees to Sam's Club are not deductible.

Attend my webinar "Tax Changes for 2012: How to Avoid Mistakes on Your Tax Return" February 12th: http://events.r20.constantcontact.co...&llr=yatrx4cab
jen2651 11:38 AM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Kind of random, but you pay $70 for a membership there?

I belong to Sam's Club too but my membership fee is $100!

We are Business Plus members.

My DD (college age) has her own individual membership and she pays $40 annually.

I sure hope it is tax deductible though as the ONLY reason we even bought a membership there was for the daycare.
Ok, so they aren't deductible, but mine was only $30....are you guys super members?
wdmmom 12:04 PM 01-08-2013
@Blackcat: When I was up for renewal, they were offering the membership for $40 but if you got the upgrade, normally $60, they offered it for $30 so it was $70 for the year.
Blackcat31 12:07 PM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
@Blackcat: When I was up for renewal, they were offering the membership for $40 but if you got the upgrade, normally $60, they offered it for $30 so it was $70 for the year.
Waaaay cool!

I like the upgraded membership because we buy ALL our electronics through Sam's and with the upgraded membership, you get an additional 3 years of warranty for those products.

I know there are other perks to the upgraded membership too but other than the "Gold Key" hours, I have never taken advantage of any others.
Reply Up