Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Taking A Kid On My Scheduled Days Off For The $
DaisyMamma 07:18 AM 12-05-2013
I'm about to have an interview.
The woman wants full time care, 7:30-3:30 following the school's calendar.
My hours are currently 8-5 Mon., Wed., Fri only. I made this change only a couple of months ago to have more time with my family, but my second job just fell through and my income is about $1200 short per month

Its always possible that I will get more calls at the end of this month of people looking for part time.
I have something else that will be giving me another $500+ per month starting in January.

You can see why I feel like I need to take this one, assuimg they are a good fit. But I really don't want to.... I told my 7 year old and she was pretty bummed out. I have a 4 dd home with me who will go off to Kindergarten next year. She doesn't care, but in my mind this is critical bonding time that I won't get back.
On the up side this baby won't be here when there is no school.

I've considered taking them until I find a better fit as far as schedules go. is this something you would do?
Blackcat31 07:40 AM 12-05-2013
If you really need the money and have no other options, then I can see why you feel as though you have to take this child.

Me, personally? I would never agree to work outside my normal hours. NOT if it meant giving up my personal family time.

I would cut expenses where ever I had to in order to avoid having to take on a situation that I really don't want to.

But that is ME. YOU have to do what YOU need to do to make ends meet.

I would probably advise you to make sure you are honest with the mom though and let her know that IF you do decide to take them, it is only until something else that fits better comes along. I wouldn't use those words though...no one wants to feel like their aren't really wanted and are only a filler...

I don't know...I think only you know what's right for you.
countrymom 08:20 AM 12-05-2013
I would get rid of the second job and take on this child. Your still home and your still there to spend time with your kids. Your 7 yr old in in school all day, so when they come home it maybe 2 or 3 hours that they have to share with the daycare with you, you still have the rest of the night to hang out.
hope 08:37 AM 12-05-2013
Lately I have been taking kids a little late or early or even on days off for extra money. I do it on a trial basis though. I tell parents that their request falls outside of my regular hours so I can try it out. I continue to let them know if it is working or not. I have found that parents feel i am a hot commodity then and will bend over backwards to keep this special spot. I have used the trial period to say it's just not working out also and the parents knew I tried everything to make it work so they are not as upset.
TwinKristi 09:22 AM 12-05-2013
The only reason you closed those days is because you didn't have anyone right? If that's the only reason and this would potentially make you more money and get you back to 5 days a week than I would jump on it.
I'm facing having to close Mon & Fri because I don't have any kids during the days. I don't want to but have no choice at this point. If I had someone interested in those days I would be ecstatic. The reason I chose to do daycare is to be home and able to work AND care for my kids.
DaisyMamma 09:37 AM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
The only reason you closed those days is because you didn't have anyone right? If that's the only reason and this would potentially make you more money and get you back to 5 days a week than I would jump on it.
I'm facing having to close Mon & Fri because I don't have any kids during the days. I don't want to but have no choice at this point. If I had someone interested in those days I would be ecstatic. The reason I chose to do daycare is to be home and able to work AND care for my kids.
Not at all.
I termed a long time, full time family to make this schedule happen. I don't want to work 5 days a week.
DaisyMamma 09:39 AM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by hope:
Lately I have been taking kids a little late or early or even on days off for extra money. I do it on a trial basis though. I tell parents that their request falls outside of my regular hours so I can try it out. I continue to let them know if it is working or not. I have found that parents feel i am a hot commodity then and will bend over backwards to keep this special spot. I have used the trial period to say it's just not working out also and the parents knew I tried everything to make it work so they are not as upset.
This is what I'm going to do. I will be upfront with the parent that I'm trying it out. This gives me an out as soon as I get someone who can work within my schedule.
DaisyMamma 09:42 AM 12-05-2013
OMG!
I just had another call for full-time, two kids, one is SA. I've worked with dcm in the past, as she takes on fosters. I told her I would do it temporarily and "test it out"
Its so hard to say no when I need the $, kwim?
DaisyMamma 09:47 AM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I would get rid of the second job and take on this child. Your still home and your still there to spend time with your kids. Your 7 yr old in in school all day, so when they come home it maybe 2 or 3 hours that they have to share with the daycare with you, you still have the rest of the night to hang out.
The "second job" is not a job outside of the home and takes no extra time away from my regular routine. I raise hedgehogs and they have started maturing. I set up my breeding schedule to give me one litter per month And so far so good. Its not guaranteed income though, things can happen. But the hoglets sell for a good amount.
DaisyMamma 10:21 AM 12-05-2013
WTH
One of my current DCF just asked for fultime. That's 3 in one day.
butterfly 10:28 AM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
WTH
Look at you go... you are in high demand!
TwinKristi 10:28 AM 12-05-2013
Well I guess I would take that as a sign! One door closes and another one opens!
countrymom 10:54 AM 12-05-2013
WTH
holy cow if thats not a sign then I don't know what is. I thought your second job was like a waitress or something.
melilley 10:55 AM 12-05-2013
Wow!
Well I guess the big question now is, do you want to be open full time.?...You can send some my way!
kitykids3 11:38 AM 12-05-2013
Wow, I would be taking that as a sign, that maybe you should be open full time for at least a little while. If later you decide to change it back, you can, but you don't have to tell the parents that now. Just give them enough notice when you decide to.
MotherNature 12:03 PM 12-05-2013
Well, if you decide to be open ft, hopefully the families will be great for you!
DaisyMamma 04:10 PM 12-05-2013
Its crazy. I think its a sign too.
In addition I just hired a housekeeper who also does childcare. I'm thinking she will be interested in an assistant position.
I will likely take my current DCF the extra two days and see what happens with the othersp
I guess I have some thinking to do.
MarinaVanessa 05:57 PM 12-05-2013
The "second job" is not a job outside of the home and takes no extra time away from my regular routine. I raise hedgehogs and they have started maturing. I set up my breeding schedule to give me one litter per month And so far so good. Its not guaranteed income though, things can happen. But the hoglets sell for a good amount.
Hedgehogs? How much do you sell them for? Can I have one in CA?
Sorry, I know it's off topic, I feel like Doug "Squirrel"

- NVM. I can't have one. Stupid CA.
momofboys 06:12 PM 12-05-2013
Not at all.
I termed a long time, full time family to make this schedule happen. I don't want to work 5 days a week.
Don't do it! I was in your situation - only took PT b/c we sort of could afford it & I wanted a day or two free each week. I would do as BC suggested, find other ways to cut costs to make your 3-day week work! I just think you will regret it. It sounds good when you are adding up the dollars but if your intent is to only work PT after a few weeks it will wear you thin.
DaisyMamma 03:44 AM 12-06-2013
Originally Posted by momofboys:
Don't do it! I was in your situation - only took PT b/c we sort of could afford it & I wanted a day or two free each week. I would do as BC suggested, find other ways to cut costs to make your 3-day week work! I just think you will regret it. It sounds good when you are adding up the dollars but if your intent is to only work PT after a few weeks it will wear you thin.
Thanks for the input. I think you may be right. It does sound good. After a few weeks I will be sorry... But now I'm in the situation of my current DCF needing FT. If I don't provide they will likely leave...
Reply Up