Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>It's Happening!
LadyMacbeth 10:51 AM 03-15-2014
I plan on quitting my job at a preschool to open my own program from home. I would get to stay home with my son, and, when my sister eventually has her baby, my niece or nephew.

I created a website and added my business to google maps. I am working on converting my living room and dining into a daycare and will begin the licensing process soon. Thing is, I got a couple of phone calls this week from people interested in care. They said they were really impressed with the website and think the program is very professional.

I let them know that I am not currently licensed but expect to be in June and will open my doors in August. I need some encouraging words but also a checklist for enrollment and opening. What's the most important things to include in a contract?

My head is spinning?
Starburst 11:12 AM 03-15-2014
Originally Posted by LadyMacbeth:
I let them know that I am not currently licensed but expect to be in June and will open my doors in August. I need some encouraging words but also a checklist for enrollment and opening. What's the most important things to include in a contract?
Do you have a policy handbook already? You can include following policies/rules/ protocol in your contract that states they have read and understand your rules, also that they will follow them and they understand that not following your policies can lead to termination.

Contract:
*Money (how much they will pay for weekly, every other week, or monthly)
*Their contract hours (hours children are scheduled for; if you do contract hours)
*Overtime and early/late fees ($x for ever minute/15 minutes late pick up/early drop off; any time in care over regular daycare tuition/fees)
*Two week notice (they promise to give a two week notice)
*Deposit (1 or 2 week non-refundable deposit, if they give a two week notice or are terminated)
*Enrollment fee (either 1 time payment when enrolling, or once a year)
*Severance (if you don't do a deposit, they will be responsible for paying the last week or two of care)
*They agree to adhere to your policies and understand that breaking rules can result in termination
spinnymarie 02:03 PM 03-15-2014
I'm officially opening in Aug too (going from license-exempt to licensed) and we are doing interviews now and having people sign a pre-contract to enroll in the summer with a real contract and fees.
LadyMacbeth 03:09 PM 03-15-2014
Originally Posted by spinnymarie:
I'm officially opening in Aug too (going from license-exempt to licensed) and we are doing interviews now and having people sign a pre-contract to enroll in the summer with a real contract and fees.
Are you already licensed or still waiting in that? I don't know if it's a good idea for me to start enrolling w/o the license.

Thanks Starburst, I've been procrastinating on making my handbook but I'll work on it now that I'm on spring break
TwinKristi 07:50 PM 03-15-2014
Does your state allow you to watch one or more children without a license legally? I did this while getting my license and was able to make money while getting things going. Have you looked into that? It could possibly save you whatever you pay in childcare, travel, work expenses if you add the income.
LadyMacbeth 06:28 AM 03-16-2014
No, I can only watch a relative without a license. I was thinking about maybe doing a summer program with school age kids and simultaneously start enrolling preschoolers for the academic year
Scribbles 08:01 AM 03-16-2014
In my state we can be fined each day we care for kids without a license.

We have to be licensed to watch kids from more than one family. So I could babysit for the neighbor's kids but no one else unless we have a license
Reply Up