Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teachers....
MissAnn 04:54 PM 04-28-2014
So...2 teachers complained about having to pay 2 days per week for the summer to reserve their spot. They pay part time rate which works out to be 1/2 their usual fee.

My rates are low! $110 per week. The local school system has a program for teacher's kids and they charge $135/week but teacher's don't pay for Holidays or breaks....but do have to bring food. My program has a much better reputation for academics and outdoor classroom.

I know some people give teachers a choice to pay more per week and not have to pay summer.

What happens if they lose their job? Have to quit their job for illness? What happens if they need to be termed?

Really gripes me they complained. I have almost all teachers kids so I do need to keep them. I can't afford to just let them go and come back in the fall. Teachers seek ME out....quit your belly aching teachers!
mountainside13 06:31 PM 04-28-2014
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
So...2 teachers complained about having to pay 2 days per week for the summer to reserve their spot. They pay part time rate which works out to be 1/2 their usual fee.

My rates are low! $110 per week. The local school system has a program for teacher's kids and they charge $135/week but teacher's don't pay for Holidays or breaks....but do have to bring food. My program has a much better reputation for academics and outdoor classroom.

I know some people give teachers a choice to pay more per week and not have to pay summer.

What happens if they lose their job? Have to quit their job for illness? What happens if they need to be termed?

Really gripes me they complained. I have almost all teachers kids so I do need to keep them. I can't afford to just let them go and come back in the fall. Teachers seek ME out....quit your belly aching teachers!
I only have 1 teachers child. My family doesn't pay over summer break since I will have a schoolager coming back this summer, So the pay will even out. Since most of your clients are teachers, I wouldn't budge.

Or maybe tell them you will raise the rate next fall to cover expenses during the summer/breaks.
midaycare 06:43 PM 04-28-2014
Wow! I thought I wasn't charging enough! I would charge more during the year to save for the summer. That way the teachers feel like they are not paying, but they really are.

That said ... I always understood when my son was in daycare that I paid for a spot, and if I wanted that spot, I had better pay when we weren't going, too. Sometimes I would be off for 6 weeks, and I would still pay. It wasn't an issue with me.
Maria2013 07:09 PM 04-28-2014
I've only worked for 2 teachers, both did tutoring over the summer so I still had their kids
MissAnn 04:51 AM 04-29-2014
The one particular mom baffles me. She came to me because the other place offered little "teaching" and her son is 3. She didn't come to me because I was "cheaper" but because of my quality and reputation. She has gone on two major vacations in the last 2 months.....one was out of the country. They live in a beautiful and expensive house compared to my 1200 sq foot house/daycare. She is very nice but yesterday came in with "having to pay for summer" on her mind. I told her there is no way I could remain in business and not have people pay 1/2 price for the summer. My income will go down by 1/2 as it is. I already know the answer.....but can they every take their mind off their own selves and think about their provider?
Second Home 05:22 AM 04-29-2014
I have 1 principle with 2 kids here . She does work over the summer but instead of keeping the kids with me she hires a college student to stay with her kids because it is cheaper.

I will not hold her spots for the fall , and I have told her this .
MissAnn 06:25 AM 04-29-2014
Originally Posted by Second Home:
I have 1 principle with 2 kids here . She does work over the summer but instead of keeping the kids with me she hires a college student to stay with her kids because it is cheaper.

I will not hold her spots for the fall , and I have told her this .
That is so sad! Kind of a slap in the face! I have one kid leaving me this year for a babysitter. She has come such a long way in every area and goes to kindergarten in 2015. Her mom thinks that because she's learned everything she needs to know for kindergarten NOW she can just have a babysitter. She asked me if her daughter would lose her skills and I said.....definitely. Poor girl is so sweet but has a hard time in social situations. Even her bible class teacher has shown concern. At my house she is more confident and has come such a long way. Babysitter for over a year? No kids to play with? I feel so bad for her. Parents wanted to save money.
jenn 07:18 AM 04-29-2014
Let them complain. They know they are paying for you to hold their spot and that they are getting a good deal. Of course they want you to hold their spot for free. I want someone to bring me my groceries for free every week. However, it's not going to happen. As summer approaches, I remind my teacher parents that in order to hold their spot for the fall, they will need to pay a minimum of 3 days per week. I remind them when the payments are due and let them know that the first time the payment is not received or is late that I will offer their position to someone else. I refuse to spend the summer hunting them down for payments.
MissAnn 07:23 AM 04-29-2014
Originally Posted by jenn:
Let them complain. They know they are paying for you to hold their spot and that they are getting a good deal. Of course they want you to hold their spot for free. I want someone to bring me my groceries for free every week. However, it's not going to happen. As summer approaches, I remind my teacher parents that in order to hold their spot for the fall, they will need to pay a minimum of 3 days per week. I remind them when the payments are due and let them know that the first time the payment is not received or is late that I will offer their position to someone else. I refuse to spend the summer hunting them down for payments.
Is your 3 days a week at their regular full time rate broken down to 3 days or do you have a part time rate?

This mom came in different today.....she signed up for the 2 days she wanted and did not complain. Maybe she went home and thought about it? Just glad. I spend way too much time fretting about things!
jenn 10:36 AM 04-29-2014
I charge them my regular daily rate of $30 per day. I allow them to drop down to part time over the summer, which is 3 days per week minimum. They can come on 1, 2, or 3 days or not come at all, either way they owe me $90 per week. When school starts again, they go back to full time, 5 days per week at $150 weekly.
Tags:teachers as clients
Reply Up