Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>ADHD Meds, Not He's Asleep
Unregistered 06:08 AM 10-10-2011
So dcm gave me a form to fill out asking all these ?? and I put never for most of them...****ns on a motor, wont sit for activities....you know. this kid will sit long after the others to finish things and used to be very obsessive about things. Anyway, I asked why she thought he had ADHD and she said the psychologist told her he did. Today she says he started his meds and might be woozy. now he is asleep on my floor at 9am! He may sleep through lesson time and who knows what will happen at nap! I love it when a kid is medicated so the parent can deal what 2 hours a day and on weekends! Better that he is zoned at home than learning here, because for having the ADHD pandemic, its amazing that he knows more than the rest of the kids!

I have seen true ADHD and these parents that act like its so "cool" for their kids to have it, have nooooo idea!
Kaddidle Care 07:46 AM 10-10-2011
I think it's unusual for ADHD meds to make the children sleepy. What is he on and what dosage? Why are they medicating? Is the child violent?

I can tell you it's not "cool" to have a child with this condition.

Something sounds very fishy about a child that is being medicated that you have not had problems with.
2ndFamilyDC 07:53 AM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
I think it's unusual for ADHD meds to make the children sleepy. What is he on and what dosage? Why are they medicating? Is the child violent?

Something sounds very fishy about a child that is being medicated that you have not had problems with.

I agree. If he is not a problem at your house then I would say he probably does not have ADHD. How sad for him that he is being medicated.
sharlan 07:54 AM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:

My granddaughter had trouble sleeping on Concerta. She never fell asleep during the day.

It never amazes my why parents think its "cool" for their child to have a condition.
Unregistered 08:34 AM 10-10-2011
I dont know anything about the med or dose. i do know that my nephew was on something years ago and he fell asleep very early everyday. he only slept for maybe 45 min. we'll see what happens tomorrow!
Unregistered 08:58 AM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
So dcm gave me a form to fill out asking all these ?? and I put never for most of them...****ns on a motor, wont sit for activities....you know. this kid will sit long after the others to finish things and used to be very obsessive about things. Anyway, I asked why she thought he had ADHD and she said the psychologist told her he did. Today she says he started his meds and might be woozy. now he is asleep on my floor at 9am! He may sleep through lesson time and who knows what will happen at nap! I love it when a kid is medicated so the parent can deal what 2 hours a day and on weekends! Better that he is zoned at home than learning here, because for having the ADHD pandemic, its amazing that he knows more than the rest of the kids!

I have seen true ADHD and these parents that act like its so "cool" for their kids to have it, have nooooo idea!
This shocks me I have a ADHD Son the meds are NOT suppose to make them sleepy or in a zombie like state this is the FIRST thing the psychiatrist told me and she said if they did call her back right away. Also when I got my Son evaluated the psychiatrist didnt even put him on meds til he was 6 he was 5 when evaluated how old is this kid? He shouldnt be on ADHD meds at such a young age these meds are no joke and should be used very carefully. I feel sorry for these parents if they think ADHD is cool its very hard for a child to deal with it and a parent of a child with it they really need to get a clue. I hope you say something to them so they dont harm there child with the wrong meds or meds he doesnt need.
laundrymom 09:38 AM 10-10-2011
Unregistered,.. Hope all is well. I do not envy you. I would be a paniced mess worrying about a reaction to the meds. Is this his first day on it!? Did mom leave script info with you in case you have to call 911?
jojosmommy 11:09 AM 10-10-2011
I would like to know how long he was on the meds prior to having them at your house. Is this the first day? I wouldn't be comfortable with a child in my care starting meds for the first time then being dropped off at my house.
Unregistered 12:08 PM 10-10-2011
I would be inclined to call and have them pick him up...in my policies it states "any child unable to participate in the days activities" along with my illness exclusions. Maybe if they see him unable to have a normal morning they will re think how "cool" it is.
e.j. 01:47 PM 10-10-2011
Maybe it depends on what med a child is taking? My son was on Strattera for a short period of time and it made him feel exhausted to the point of not being able to function. The fatigue was supposed to decrease with time but between that and other side effects, we took him off of it after about 2 weeks.
Unregistered 02:30 PM 10-10-2011
Tenex and Intuniv are non stimulant high blood pressure medications that are being used for ADD/ADHD. My nephew takes Intuniv and my own son has taken Tenex. They both experienced fatigue on the medications. My son would fall asleep at school quite often!
I took that as evidence it wasn't working for him. It didn't do anything but make him tired!
Kaddidle Care 03:24 PM 10-10-2011
BTW - ADHD meds are prescribed by a Psychiatrist, not a Psychologist. Interesting article on meds for 5 and under:

http://www.addadhdblog.com/adhd-medi...ar-olds/#7dfaa

I personally don't believe in medicating young children unless they are violent, totally and completely out of control or suicidal.

It's normal to test boundaries and be naughty from time to time. Especially for boys. Being firm and consistant is the best way to work through this and guess what? It's NOT easy.

Some people don't believe there is such a condition. (my parents in their 80's refuse to acknowledge it.) And then there are others that accept that not everyone is wired the same.

While some with ADD/ADHD don't do well in school because they can't control their impulses long enough to sit in a desk, others are quite brilliant.

I just don't like seeing it as an excuse for bad behavior and I don't like seeing children medicated into a stupor because it's easier to handle a zombie.
Tags:adhd, adhd - medication, won't sleep
Reply Up