Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Drop in Care
mountainside13 09:37 AM 01-08-2014
I have had a little girl in my care for around 2.5 years. She is only here once a week on a as needed basis. I have in my contract for drop in to notify me 24 hours in advance or as soon as possible. This family has rarely given 24 hours notice, most of the time it is the evening before. It didn't start to bother me until November, when the day was blowing up my phone with calls and texts on my day off. I have reminded the dad of my policies and it hasn't changed. I have even started telling him no.

I am updating my contract now. What could I add to hopefully avoid this situation? I don't want to have a strict 24 hour policy. Like school canceling and my Schoolagers coming with maybe an hour notice. I am almost to the point of termination but the little girl has a special place in my heart! I would deeply miss her if I term.
butterfly 10:07 AM 01-08-2014
I do lots of drop in type situations. I sometimes get annoyed with the late notice too, but I figure that's what drop in care is. I just start saying "no" when it gets too annoying and disruptive. I just always make it clear that if they aren't paying the full time rate their spot is not guaranteed. When I tell them no a few times, it tends to get them more organized (in most cases) and I get a little more advance notice or they end up signing on full time to guarantee a spot for when they need it.
MarinaVanessa 10:20 AM 01-08-2014
If I read it right you already have policies about . notifying you. Do you have one about not contacting you after certain hours or on your days off? If you do then you just need to decide how to handle these situations if they come up (consequences) and then follow through.

I would send reminders to all clients that give you issues with this and a specific conversation with this family via telephone. Ignore them each time they contact you during off hours and if they persist to the point that they are annoying text back with a simple "as a reminder, this is my time off. Call/text during the hours of xx and xx Monday through Fri" and leave it at that. Turn your phone off for an hour if you have to.

The next morning I would pointedly call and say "Hi. I received all 11 text messages from yesterday. I wanted to remind you that calls and texts after xx Monday through Friday or at any time during the weekends will be answered the next business day. Also there is no need to leave repeat messages. I only need the one and will get back to you the following business day. If you have an urgent need for childcare make sure you request it during business hours before you need care. Non bussiness hours is my time with my family and I value my family time. Please do not repeatedly call and send texts. That's not necessary. Now, what was it that you needed from me?"

Or I'd send a simple text "its non bussiness hours and I don't have my schedule in front of me. Call me after x on Monday morning" and leave it at that.

If they persist that's just rude. I'd just sat "no".
Lil'DinoEggs 12:32 PM 01-08-2014
Originally Posted by mountainside13:
I have had a little girl in my care for around 2.5 years. She is only here once a week on a as needed basis. I have in my contract for drop in to notify me 24 hours in advance or as soon as possible. This family has rarely given 24 hours notice, most of the time it is the evening before. It didn't start to bother me until November, when the day was blowing up my phone with calls and texts on my day off. I have reminded the dad of my policies and it hasn't changed. I have even started telling him no.

I am updating my contract now. What could I add to hopefully avoid this situation? I don't want to have a strict 24 hour policy. Like school canceling and my Schoolagers coming with maybe an hour notice. I am almost to the point of termination but the little girl has a special place in my heart! I would deeply miss her if I term.
I read this that you want 24 hours notice of when she is coming rather than cancellations.

In this case, why do you need 24 hours notice? Is it for planning reasons or so you don't feel like you are being used etc? Answer this for yourself then plan out your contract then stick to it. If parents ask why they can't bring suzie with two hours notice, you say "it is in my contract".
cheerfuldom 01:59 PM 01-08-2014
it is my understanding that what you want is for the Dad to stop harassing you if you do not get back to him asap. I would add a stipulation that you allow one text, one call, and one email (or one of each way to contact you) and that you require parents to wait for your response. Repeated texts when you have not responded yet is disrespectful behavior and will be grounds for termination. There is no need to call ten times for the same request. It is up to parents to have a plan B because you cannot guarantee availability for drop in care nor can you guarantee a quick response on requests.

I would also address this face to face with Dad.

"Jim, I know you have last minute needs for daycare on occasion but one text/call is sufficient. Please do not flood my phone with multiple calls and requests for the same day. That is not necessary at all. I will get back to you as quickly as I can but I don't appreciate seeing ten calls from you in a 30 minute period. I have addressed that in my new contract (hand it to him) and I would appreciate you following those guidelines in the future"
mountainside13 02:48 PM 01-08-2014
Sorry! Everytime I have gotten back on to respond I have been needed.

My biggest thing is the family assumes that I should always have space and take the child on short notice. I have explained that I have other drop ins for the same space, they are first come first served kind of thing. The lack of respect is also upsetting.

I have tried rewording my contract to leave no loop holes for them but still open to others, like Schoolagers and cancelations. Is it ok to have one contract for this family and another contract for everyone else? I have added about contacting me on my days off and contacting me multiple times.
Tags:drop in care
Reply Up