Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Outdoor Sensory Box
mamamanda 12:51 PM 04-27-2018
I have 3 sand boxes & I'm trying to figure out what to fill them with. Obviously sand in one. Maybe corn? Any idea on what kind of sealant or something to use to keep it from molding? What else could I do with the other one?
Jo123ABC 08:37 PM 04-27-2018
Why not pea rock or something? My kids would try to eat the corn a pile of leaves makes my kids crazy haha we fill a pool with them in the fall. Ooo maybe straw or hay? That could get messy though. If you do go with corn, I think it would last a while as long as it was kept very dry and covered. My dad ranches so he keeps barley and oats but they need to be kept dry.
Josiegirl 02:22 AM 04-28-2018
Pine cones and paper towel tubes?
Potting soil, small plastic pots, fake flowers, spoons?
Different sized rocks and dinosaurs.
Grass seed

I'd go to someplace like Lowes or Home Depot and see what they've got this time off year.
kendallina 03:48 AM 04-28-2018
A farm we visit every fall has a corn box for the kid to play in and they always love it! They have a roof over it and it's fine.
Ariana 06:17 AM 04-28-2018
If you don’t want to attract critters and critter filth go with different sized rocks and pinecones, small sticks and things like that. This is what I use. I also throw sea shells in there.
redmaple 07:08 AM 04-28-2018
* Various Pine cones
*small branches with different types of leaves or evergreens
*currently dried lemon grass, easter eggs, and ducks (nests)
* various old foaming soap dispensers to pump tear free baby shampoo
*erupting volcano & dinosaur set up.
*fizzing chalk paint
Jo123ABC 07:09 AM 04-28-2018
Ooo! I like the pinecone idea!
redmaple 07:32 AM 04-28-2018
Around Christmas time I always buy a bag of the cinnamon scented pinecones. They go into my collection after the holidays. So some still smell faintly of cinnamon. Then I collect various other types when walking.
mamamanda 07:59 AM 04-28-2018
Great ideas everyone! Thanks!! So many decisions now. The dinosaur idea got me thinking about what other toys might go w/a sensory box theme...I'm picturing a construction theme, a fossil site, a science table... I'm going to want to do it all.
Tags:outdoor sensory box, sensory bins
Reply Up