Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sunscreen Allergy?
tenderhearts 08:52 AM 04-24-2018
Yesterday was the first day we actually got to go outside and enjoy the sun. I am very paranoid of kids getting sunburned so I am very cautious and aware of when it need's applied and reapplied. In 20 yrs I have never had a child get a sunburn.
Yesterday I put sunscreen on all 6 of my kiddos. One of the came today with red cheeks, ears and back of neck, not a solid red kind of dotted not sure how to really explain. I use a 50 broad spectrum for body and a 50 spft broad spectrum face stick for face, ears and hair line on neck all the places I used the stick. I can't tell if this could be an allergy to the sunscreen or if in fact it is a sunburn. I'm mortified because I worry about this all the time and have never had issues. i go between this brand and coppertone face stick and I don't know if last summer he used this one or the other one. Does anyone know how to tell? I"m really worried now about him going outside unsure.
Blackcat31 09:02 AM 04-24-2018
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
Yesterday was the first day we actually got to go outside and enjoy the sun. I am very paranoid of kids getting sunburned so I am very cautious and aware of when it need's applied and reapplied. In 20 yrs I have never had a child get a sunburn.
Yesterday I put sunscreen on all 6 of my kiddos. One of the came today with red cheeks, ears and back of neck, not a solid red kind of dotted not sure how to really explain. I use a 50 broad spectrum for body and a 50 spft broad spectrum face stick for face, ears and hair line on neck all the places I used the stick. I can't tell if this could be an allergy to the sunscreen or if in fact it is a sunburn. I'm mortified because I worry about this all the time and have never had issues. i go between this brand and coppertone face stick and I don't know if last summer he used this one or the other one. Does anyone know how to tell? I"m really worried now about him going outside unsure.
I require parents to supply sunscreen for that reason.
I am afraid of an allergy and don't want to be responsible for it.
LysesKids 09:21 AM 04-24-2018
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
What BC said. Also, some sunscreens don't work as well as they state, especially if a child has fair skin. I am allergic to many of the chemicals in the well known brands, so I buy a brand that uses Zinc and never had an issue
tenderhearts 10:06 AM 04-24-2018
Our state doesn't require that they have to supply their own I just have to have them sign a form that gives me permission to use what I have OR provide their own. I have never had an issue. I called the parents and told them my concern so they decided for me to use it again today that way they will know if he has an allergy or not.
the face stick I use does have zinc in it. He does have fair skin but so do 4 of my others and they were fine.
MelissaP 03:58 AM 04-25-2018
My daughter is allergic to most of the name brand stuff. She will break out in a red rash, like you are describing. We just use the cheap stuff from Target. Never had a problem with it.

Melissa
tenderhearts 09:59 AM 04-26-2018
It's very strange but I had 2 kiddos have a reaction to it on their face, I have used this face stick many times and on one of these kids for 3 years, only thing we can think of is that I bought new ones and maybe they changed the forumla or they just developed an allergy. The other boy we think not only had a reaction to the sunscreen but they are thinking that he has other allergies anyways that made it worse, so I think we found a sunscreen that is working. It was scary though because when dad said he had a sunburn not angrily or anything I was in shock because I knew I used sunscreen. He apologized later for thinking it was sunburn but who was to know I just didn't think it looked like a sunburn. just thankful we are getting it figured out.
Country Kids 11:14 AM 04-26-2018
I had one that just recently had an allergic reaction but just on the hands mainly and a little on the arms but no where else.
ErnestFlores 03:25 PM 05-02-2018
Allergies are very real! Its safer to consult parents about it before applying it
Ariana 03:29 PM 05-02-2018
There is one, Coppertone I think (but don’t quote me on it) that has been causing burns. Not sure if it has been pulled from the shelves or not but kids can definitely react badly to sunscreen. This is why parents are obligated to provide sunscreen, wipes, diaper cream and diapers at my house!
Tags:allergic, allergies - sunscreen, sunscreen
Reply Up