Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Inspections
Unregistered 05:58 PM 01-03-2012
I have been opened a year and am a licensed provider. I have had one surprise visit in the 12 months I have been open by the food program. I try to stay up to date on everything (attendance, paperwork, cleaning, safety, curriculum) when does surprise inspections happen and by what agencies? Just my licensing agency? or other ones too? Just curious what to expect. Thank You.

I am in the state of NY.
Unregistered 07:01 PM 01-03-2012
I'm in NY also. I have been open for almost 4 years now. The Department of Health does surprise inspections. I've been surprise inspected so far once per year. When I had to renew my license after my first two years that inspection was planned which was nice. It definitely puts you at ease. I'm assuming you had an initial inspection when you opened? My next inspection was during the same month exactly one year later. My inspector has told me that as long as a provider doesnt have any violations that they only usually show up once a year but if you end up getting violations they are more on top of you and will show up more often.
melskids 02:59 AM 01-04-2012
NY here too!

We get full inspections once a year, but now our registrars come out once a month for "technical assistance." I don't really mind, because she is super nice and brings great ideas and support for providers. It's also nice, because it gives us a chance to get to know her better, and develop a good solid relationship where we can trust her and feel comfortable around her. She's not the enemy.

I know some of us aren't that lucky to have awesome registrars/inspectors. But if you follow the regs, and do what your supposed to do, (which, to me, isnt that difficult in NY) you should do just fine.
Heidi 05:50 AM 01-04-2012
as far as licensing, \\: in WI, they try to keep it random. I am not sure how they decide how often to visit, but I suspect its approx once per year, with extra visits to follow up if they find any violations (usually around one month later). Also, whether it's paperwork or a safety issue, it's still a violation. In some states, paperworks just gets you a reminder, but safety issues are written up. Also, if the licenser is in the area, and she hasn't been to see someone in a while, she might just stop in (oh, I have 3 hours left to kill before my day is up, who's on my list?). The licenser for our area (new) has both the centers and FDC. I don't envy that job! The centers have tons of different rules, so she has to look up everything. FDC alone has 764 rules, I think.

For the food program, they come without any notice 4 times per year. They also match you food program records to your attendance records (kept on DCF forms) for a sampling of time. If there is a discrepency, they will do order a full audit by DCF (licensing).
awestbrook713 06:54 AM 01-04-2012
I am in ny also and keep good records and my home clean but the only real record I have of how I have cleaned my house each day is the time record I keep on MMK. Is there a certain form I should be keeping for this? I don't want to get written up. I keep my bleach and water solutions, wipe everything down, vacuum, clean toys regularly. So I just write all this up so they can see?
mismatchedsocks 07:02 AM 01-04-2012
Here seems that the state pops in about once a year, random times, never know. Food lady comes twice unannounced and one announced visit a year.

I have everything pretty much in order each day, paperwork up to date, so should be good if she comes. HOWEVER, my licenser doesnt look over all my paperwork, like hours and stuff for cleaning, so that I wait for the weekend for!
Heidi 07:23 AM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by awestbrook713:
I am in ny also and keep good records and my home clean but the only real record I have of how I have cleaned my house each day is the time record I keep on MMK. Is there a certain form I should be keeping for this? I don't want to get written up. I keep my bleach and water solutions, wipe everything down, vacuum, clean toys regularly. So I just write all this up so they can see?
We don't have a mandated cleaning schedule here in WI, so that is one thing we don't have to record. They are interested in health records, child enrollment forms, background checks for volunteers/household members/employees, attendance records, matching food records (licensing menu requirements are the same as food program, so you might as well join if you are licensed), and policy manuals that meet all the requirements (a list of about 100 items that must be in it is provided). That's just the paperwork, but then they also look for obvious (gates, outlet covers, fencing, fire extinguishers and alarms,) and not-so-obvious (toothpaste or pet's food in reach of children) safetly hazards. Cleanliness is not really critiqued, although our diaper changing standards must be meticulous, and children's hands and the table must be washed before each meal, and our hands must be washed before and after diaper changes, after wiping a nose, or before preparing food.
Unregistered 07:59 AM 01-04-2012
I am in MA. I have been licensed for 4 years, and have never had a surprise inspection from any agency. My licensor has been here only 3 times, in order ot renew or upgrade my license. Those were all scheduled. My food program rep always calls and sets up appointments. I think it is because we have had severe cuts in MA, and the licensors need to focus on the programs that aren't up to par...
Tags:inspection, inspection - sunrise
Reply Up