Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Beef Stew Question
melilley 10:31 AM 01-07-2014
Does anyone have a good recipe for beef stew?

Also, what do you use to make it thick- cornstarch or flour or? I have made it before, but it's always brothy and not thick.

I already have it simmering in the crockpot, but would like to add some spices maybe, but am not sure which ones to add.
mema 10:40 AM 01-07-2014
I just use beef broth and minute tapioca to make it thick. I usually don't add spices as mine like it without, but have used ground thyme and marjoram, salt, pepper.
Childminder 10:43 AM 01-07-2014
I coat my meat in flour to brown it and it helps make the gravy. If not thick enough add a little instant mashed potatoes or cornmeal for thickeners instead of flour or cornstarch, a little more nutritional.
NeedaVaca 04:55 PM 01-07-2014
I love beef stew! I make it a little different every time though...I usually just use what I have in the house. One thing I always use are diced potatoes, I think that's what helps thicken mine. I use my canned tomatoes and a can of tomato juice, veggies of your choice (I like frozen peas, corn, sometimes my canned green beans, diced onion, carrots). I always throw spices in-you could use onion and garlic powder, thyme, and I always use a couple bay leaves,salt & pepper. My secret ingredient is add a dark beer!
melilley 06:13 PM 01-07-2014
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
I love beef stew! I make it a little different every time though...I usually just use what I have in the house. One thing I always use are diced potatoes, I think that's what helps thicken mine. I use my canned tomatoes and a can of tomato juice, veggies of your choice (I like frozen peas, corn, sometimes my canned green beans, diced onion, carrots). I always throw spices in-you could use onion and garlic powder, thyme, and I always use a couple bay leaves,salt & pepper. My secret ingredient is add a dark beer!
OOh, dark beer, that sounds like it would make it really good!
melilley 06:17 PM 01-07-2014
Thanks everyone!
I ended up making a rioux (sp?) and it turned out really yummy! Dh said it was the best stew I've made yet!
AcornMama 06:41 PM 01-07-2014
I pretty much cook from scratch, but never could end up with a stew I liked. I caved and bought one of those mixes/packets with the seasoning and thickeners in it. Delicious, and just like my moms (who always cooked with short-cuts and those little packets!).
JoseyJo 06:38 AM 01-09-2014
Originally Posted by Childminder:
I coat my meat in flour to brown it and it helps make the gravy. If not thick enough add a little instant mashed potatoes or cornmeal for thickeners instead of flour or cornstarch, a little more nutritional.
Mashed potatoes is a great idea! I made beef/noodles from scratch yesterday and the sauce wasn't thick enough w/ just the floured meat so I added a mix of cold water and flour and let it cook for another 20 min to get rid of the raw flour taste. Instant mash would work much better because it would be ready right away
Reply Up