Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advice About Hiring An Assistant
3kidzmama 06:32 AM 05-13-2011
I am needing to hire an assistant, but all of the applicants I've gotten so far have young children that they expect to bring (at no cost). I can't afford this since their child or children would count in my ratio and take available slots that I need to get paid for. Do any of you have a policy against hiring someone with their own small children?
wdmmom 06:43 AM 05-13-2011
You can't NOT hire them based on familial status...that's discrimination.

Now if you word it like this, you shouldn't have any issues:

This is a job/a business just like any other. You aren't allowed to take your child to work with you if you are a mechanic, plumber, etc. so you aren't allowed to bring them to work here.

I've never hired an assistant with children and won't...especially if they think they can bring their child to work.

If you have room for another child, consider hiring someone with a child. But I wouldn't give them any credit for childcare...I would tell them, "The hourly rate is "x" but if you plan to bring your child, it goes down to "x" to compensate for childcare/use of equipment, meals, etc." In the end, I see it being more of a problem than a benefit...just my opinion.
nannyde 07:14 AM 05-13-2011
Originally Posted by 3kidzmama:
I am needing to hire an assistant, but all of the applicants I've gotten so far have young children that they expect to bring (at no cost). I can't afford this since their child or children would count in my ratio and take available slots that I need to get paid for. Do any of you have a policy against hiring someone with their own small children?
BTDT

NO staff assistants kid.

I've had it twice and it worked out once and didn't work out the second time.

Lots of people want free day care for their kid. I never allowed that. Full pay including holdiay and vacation pay just like everyone else and child can't attend when they aren't working.

The main issue I ran into was that as a Mother the staff assistant wants her child to be happy FIRST. My day care rules are based on SAFETY first... happiness of the adults.... happiness of the kids.. in that order. (Kids can't be happy in a world the adults aren't happy ;-)

So the staff assistant is making decisions for her kid to keep her kid happy and that causes a LOT of conflict with me, the child, and the other kids.

I had to let an excellent ... hand trained by ME for 7.5 year staff assistant go over this. It was very very hard because I love her to bits and she was as close to me in skill set I could ever want. Her kid was so unhappy here and I had to spend SO much of my day dealing with it that it got to the point where I had to let her go.

I won't even interview anyone that wants to bring their kid.
3kidzmama 02:21 PM 05-13-2011
Yeah, I'm not going to do it. But now the problem is, I need applicants that won't need/expect free care for their own kid. Ugh.
snbauser 05:03 PM 05-13-2011
Whenever I advertise for assistants I state in the job description "due to licensing restrictions on ratio's, this position does not allow you to bring your own child." I am usually full so I wouldn't have an opening for an assistant's child. Even if I did, like you I couldn't afford to "give away" a spot. Plus there are soooo many issues that can occur when they bring their own child from favoritism, or ignoring, child not listening to you because mommy is there, assistant getting upset because you are disciplining their child, etc, etc, etc.
3kidzmama 06:50 PM 05-13-2011
Originally Posted by snbauser:
Whenever I advertise for assistants I state in the job description "due to licensing restrictions on ratio's, this position does not allow you to bring your own child." I am usually full so I wouldn't have an opening for an assistant's child. Even if I did, like you I couldn't afford to "give away" a spot. Plus there are soooo many issues that can occur when they bring their own child from favoritism, or ignoring, child not listening to you because mommy is there, assistant getting upset because you are disciplining their child, etc, etc, etc.
Yes these are all things that I can totally see happening. And I like how you word your ad.... Do you mind if I use that?
snbauser 06:56 PM 05-13-2011
Originally Posted by 3kidzmama:
Yes these are all things that I can totally see happening. And I like how you word your ad.... Do you mind if I use that?
Nope, feel free to use it.
Tags:assistant, hiring
Reply Up