Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2 3  ... Last
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Positive Thread - What Happened That was GOOD Today?
AfterSchoolMom 05:29 AM 03-10-2010
I love the venting thread here, but thought that it would be appropriate to post a thread for the good things that happen during our days as well. Sometimes it may be a small thing that made you smile, but the little things can really make a difference in the course of a day. For instance - for the last two days it has been in the mid 60's here for the first time since September. The ground has been dry enough to actually go outside, so I've spent the last two afternoons outside in the sun with my after schoolers. They are really responding positively to the warm weather and the opportunity to play outside, so... so far this has been a fantastic week!
TGT09 05:36 AM 03-10-2010
I have a similar "good" moment. On Monday, I only had 2 kids (siblings) and it was 60 here so I took them to the park for lunch and then to play! It was gorgeous and I can't wait to do it again!
momofboys 05:37 AM 03-10-2010
Here too! We had nice weather & went outside to run around & blow bubbles! It lifted my spirits & the kids' too!!!
DBug 07:12 AM 03-10-2010
I emailed one of my moms a picture of her little one painting. It must have made her day, because she emailed back just gushing about what a wonderful provider I am -- totally made my day in return
kitkat 08:23 AM 03-10-2010
Dcg has dried her hands 2 days in a row (I posted about her before)! We went for a walk this morning and same dcg didn't whine!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 08:29 AM 03-10-2010
this is a great idea,.. a daily brag!

mine today is,....daycare girl told mom last night that her tooth hurt,... today at lunch she told me,.. same side, same tooth,.. I texted mom,... she called back within 10 minutes, and not 15 min later grandma picked up girl and is at the dentist! how awesome is that?
tenderhearts 08:57 AM 03-10-2010
For me it has been just a great week with the kids, all of them have been in a great mood and have been getting along pretty well, thanks kids!!! I love weeks like this.
Keri'sKids 01:09 PM 01-10-2011
Originally Posted by DBug:
I emailed one of my moms a picture of her little one painting. It must have made her day, because she emailed back just gushing about what a wonderful provider I am -- totally made my day in return
Wow! DBUG you really do have the right idea. What a great idea it is! This site really does wonders. I am going to do the same thing and I am excited to do it! Thanks for the great tip. It is such a pleasure to have someone like you doing positive things and sharing it!
MrsCoffee 07:13 AM 03-11-2010
After 2 days off dcb arrived to day and literally ran to the door, didn't care to say bye to mom just started playing and dancing around. Mom said "I don't know if it's the kids or what but he just loves it here" I said "I hope it's a combo of me and the kids )

She said yes but that makes her feel maybe I am a better mom that her, I said defiantly not! No one replaces Mommas.

I am glad that dcb feels at home here, made my day!
mac60 08:29 AM 03-11-2010
Great news Former Teacher,,,,praying all goes well for you and hubby.
mamajennleigh 08:56 AM 03-11-2010
The past few days I have been dealing with one baby who will not stop crying all day. Today, I called his mom to come and get him and she was so sweet about it. I love moms who just want what's best for their kids, even if that means their day gets inconvenienced
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10:28 AM 03-11-2010
normally I swap toys out on a weekend and they come in to new toys,.. we have had an exceptionally hard week. So,..... today when they went down I took the toy bucket to the basement, dumped it completely and filed it with toys from 8-9 years ago. (yes I have that many toys, lol) NOTHING they will see when they wake are toys they have ever played with before. I would almost go as far as to say,.. they have never SEEN most of them before. They are going to be so excited!
momofboys 02:36 PM 03-11-2010
Yesterday my parent was running quite late (20 min or so), she did feel bad for being so late. Today she came 50 min early! Yay!!!!! She had the day off to run errands/dr appts so she made the extra effort to be early.
tymaboy 02:21 PM 03-12-2010
Had an awesome day with DCB today. Went bowling then to the mall to play. He was so tired that when mom came to pick up he still wanted to sleep.
Crystal 02:32 PM 03-12-2010
I started a fundraiser on Tuesday, selling candy bars. We are raising funds for new playground equipment. ALL of my families took boxes of candy to sell, without me asking them to do so. THEN, most of them have already asked for another box because they already sold most of them. I went and bought a new swingset last night, and there will be additional $ for other equipment as well! MY families ROCK!
Carole's Daycare 02:01 PM 03-15-2010
I'm so proud of my newest 2 little DCG's. The sisters have been bounced around in foster care etc. Dad has them now w/ new young GF. Anyway she was getting frustrated, especially at 3 yr old not being potty trained. Usually I let the family take the lead on this one, but... I decide to come up w/ a plan w/ the little girls- a chart and special reward, to make it all week at my house and at home except bed w/ no potty accidents- and they did it! Family is happy too. They came back after the weekend having had a couple problems at hm but were great all day here. (pretty good for a monday- even better for spring break w/ extra school agers here etc.)
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 08:49 AM 03-23-2010
someone post some positives please,... going through some hard times here and need some good news. one of my best friends in the world's daughters is literally fighting for her life in the picu. she is 8. Leukemia sucks.
momma2girls 08:58 AM 03-23-2010
Originally Posted by laundryduchess@yahoo.com:
someone post some positives please,... going through some hard times here and need some good news. one of my best friends in the world's daughters is literally fighting for her life in the picu. she is 8. Leukemia sucks.
How very very sad!!! I will pray for you and her family.
momofsix 10:55 AM 03-23-2010
Laundry,praying right now. (hugs)
momofboys 11:34 AM 03-23-2010
Praying for your friend's daughter right now. I'm so sorry.
jen 11:49 AM 03-23-2010
Yes it does (suck)...I am praying your friend, her child, and of course, you too!
Former Teacher 04:48 PM 03-23-2010
Praying for your friend laundry!

I have some good news This week is my paid vacation and I am loving it!
misol 08:53 AM 03-24-2010
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
Praying for your friend laundry!

I have some good news This week is my paid vacation and I am loving it!

Yayyyyy! Enjoy every moment of it. I am sure you deserve it. I wish I had the balls to require paid vacation. I think I might try it after I've been in the business for a while.

Sorry to hear about your friend laundyduchess. Your families are in our prayers.
tymaboy 07:53 AM 05-07-2010
I have a drop in baby today & she is a complete doll! There is a chance that I will get her on a regular bases which I would not mind at all. She only fusses when she is hungry or tired. Wish they all were like that

Can we make this a sticky too? I think more people would post to it if it was easily assessable. I had to go searching for it again.
momma2girls 08:02 AM 05-07-2010
Originally Posted by tymaboy:
I have a drop in baby today & she is a complete doll! There is a chance that I will get her on a regular bases which I would not mind at all. She only fusses when she is hungry or tired. Wish they all were like that

Can we make this a sticky too? I think more people would post to it if it was easily assessable. I had to go searching for it again.
IT's National Provider Appreciation Day today!!! ALso it's Friday!!!! YEAH!!!!
Michael 10:53 AM 05-07-2010

Yes, I'll sticky it
tymaboy 12:03 PM 05-07-2010
Originally Posted by michael:
Yes, I'll sticky it
Thank You!
tymaboy 04:46 PM 05-07-2010
Just got back from picking up an outdoor climber & a house for the kids to play with next week. I got both for $70!
momofsix 08:00 PM 05-07-2010
I got flowers from one of my moms for mother's day! It's nice to be thought of
tymaboy 11:23 AM 05-14-2010
It FRIDAY!!! I had a half day & am done till Monday! Hope everyone has a great weekend!
TGT09 11:44 AM 05-14-2010
I keep chanting to myself, it's Friday, it's Friday, it's Friday! :-)
dionmartin216 06:56 AM 06-13-2014
It FRIDAY!!! I had a half day & am done till Monday! Hope everyone has a great weekend!
You were only open half day??? Great idea, sometimes I'd like to do a half day instead of closing all together. Very rare when we close but good to know that I can do half day if needed.

Happy Friday! June 13, 2014
Play Care 03:18 PM 06-16-2014
My one dcboy potty trained himself. In over ten years that has never happened. I'm just amazed that he decided to do it and it's done
professionalmom 08:40 AM 05-17-2010
This has happened a couple of times with the same DC family. Mom is getting ready to walk out the door of her work (one of my favorite steak houses) and calls to see if she could bring us any food (free - she's a manager so it doesn't cost her anything) so we get fillet mignon (sp?). Lately she has been calling to see if I'm craving anything that she could pick up for me on her way to pick up the kids. I'm pregnant with twins. So VERY THOUGHTFUL!!
tymaboy 09:41 AM 05-17-2010
DS came home from school on Friday & told me that his teacher from his 1 class said that they will refinished my Grandmothers old dresser for me. All we had to do is buy the material for it. I have wanted to get it done for more then 20yrs! Its finaly going to happen.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 11:00 AM 05-20-2010
alright everyone!!!!
I have had a blah day watching the news,.. hearing the radio,.. just doom and gloom all over,...

lets post some good things!!!

Lets see,...

tomorrow is my last day with the girl I terminated. Mom is pulling early and Im getting an extra weeks pay for nothing!

The new family I have to replace girl was here yesterday and LOVE THEM!!!!!

My cousin had twins two weeks ago and finally everyone is well and HOME

I got the yard mowed today before the rain hit (thanks to my wonderful dh staying in with the kids at naptime, =-) )

My son brought home his cap and gown yesterday,..... wow,... that hit home,... pride, scared and emotional afternoon for sure it was.

only 5 days left in this school year and then I get my (own personal) little bugs all to myself all summer. We are planning camping, swimming, gardening and naps on the weekends. lol

oh and my dh is feeling much much better after his surgery. He is slated to go back to work on June 2!!

ok, who is next?
professionalmom 04:50 PM 05-21-2010
My weekenders were scheduled for 4p - 10:30p tonight. When they got here, mom had a gallon of milk for me. She stopped at a convenient store and got cereal, but for only .02 more she could get the gallon of milk (special deal going on), so she did and brought it to me! How awesome is that?!
Then the boys (ages 5 & 7) tell me that they hate tuna and that it's disgusting. But I had tuna patties planned. I made them and had each boy taste them with the promise that if they guessed correctly, I would give them a dollar. They both thought is was chicken and loved it. Then I told them it was tuna. The 5 yr old said, "Oh, tuna is delicious!" The 7 yr old got the deer in the headlight look, like he was mad that I tricked him into liking something he didn't WANT to like. Later he said, "Those tuna patties smell great. And they taste alright." WOOHOO! I conquered my picky eaters!!
misol 07:09 PM 05-21-2010
Originally Posted by professionalmom:
My weekenders were scheduled for 4p - 10:30p tonight. When they got here, mom had a gallon of milk for me. She stopped at a convenient store and got cereal, but for only .02 more she could get the gallon of milk (special deal going on), so she did and brought it to me! How awesome is that?!
Then the boys (ages 5 & 7) tell me that they hate tuna and that it's disgusting. But I had tuna patties planned. I made them and had each boy taste them with the promise that if they guessed correctly, I would give them a dollar. They both thought is was chicken and loved it. Then I told them it was tuna. The 5 yr old said, "Oh, tuna is delicious!" The 7 yr old got the deer in the headlight look, like he was mad that I tricked him into liking something he didn't WANT to like. Later he said, "Those tuna patties smell great. And they taste alright." WOOHOO! I conquered my picky eaters!!
Fabulous - milk is something providers can ALWAYS use. How do you make tuna patties? I make salmon patties so I am wondering if it's the same but just substitute with tuna?
professionalmom 08:49 PM 05-21-2010
Originally Posted by misol:
Fabulous - milk is something providers can ALWAYS use. How do you make tuna patties? I make salmon patties so I am wondering if it's the same but just substitute with tuna?
25 ozs of tuna in water (drained)
2 c mashed potato flakes (this is the only thing I buy the flakes for)
1 sm chopped onion (I used minced onions - sorry I don't measure)
1 1/2 c milk
3 large eggs
1/2 c butter / margarine
1/2 c bread crumbs
1 teas salt

mold into a ball, flatten, very lightly butter eat side, and fry until golden.

Is it the same? I've never made salmon patties.

It's a very easy, toddler-friendly, finger food.
professionalmom 08:49 PM 05-21-2010
That gives me an idea. Should we have a recipe thread?
QualiTcare 10:30 PM 05-21-2010
i bought a sprinkler at the dollar general the other day for $6 and it's the most awesome one i've ever seen. it's a plastic octopus head, and the 8 arms are styrofoamish. you hook the hose to the plastic part and water squirts out all of the arms and they flap all over the place.

the kids LOVE it. best thing i bought...that hour! haha.
TGT09 03:40 PM 05-22-2010
Originally Posted by professionalmom:
That gives me an idea. Should we have a recipe thread?
I think that would be awesome!
momma2girls 11:24 AM 05-25-2010
I make tuna patties- i use one can tuna, cracker crumbs, milk, little onion, salt, pepper, and a little flour.
misol 12:50 PM 05-25-2010
professionalmom, my salmon cake recipe is closer to Iowa Daycare's recipe for tuna patties.

Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
I make tuna patties- i use one can tuna, cracker crumbs, milk, little onion, salt, pepper, and a little flour.
I use:
1 (14.75 ounce) can salmon, drained
1 onion
1 egg
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons parsley
pepper
salt2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter
3 tablespoons olive oil

Combine all ingredients except butter and oil. Shape into four patties. Dust lightly with flour. Chill for 20 minutes. Heat the butter and olive oil over medium high heat. Cook the patties until browned on both sides, about 10 minutes. Drain on paper towels.

I think I'll just try to sub the salmon for tuna and see what happens.
Michael 02:58 PM 05-25-2010
Since you are posting about recipes I will push our banana recipes: http://banana.com/perfectbanana.html

There are some simple banana treat recipes there and I will be putting up a dozen more today if anyone is interested.
professionalmom 02:41 PM 05-29-2010
Today, my hubby came home from work early and mentioned that I should call my daycare family that was supposed to come in the afternoon. I asked why and hubby said, "well, they may need to bring their beach gear." So the kids get here (1 yo girl, 5 yo boy, 7 yo boy) and we take them and our daughter (almost 2) to the beach. We had a great time even though my DD had an allergic reaction to the ragweed floating around. The only complaint from the boys was that I didn't let them go out farther (yeah right!). And my DD loved throwing wet sand at me and I ended up very soaked (in shorts, no bathing suit because none fit due to my twin pregnancy). My husband grilled when we got home and even though it was nutritious, the boys claimed that they got junk food for dinner (after all, nothing that great can be healthy right)! And the 1 year old girls ate twice what I ate!
FUN! FUN! FUN! in the SUN, SUN, SUN! If only everyday could be like this!
professionalmom 02:41 PM 05-29-2010
Congrats on the ring!!
Michael 02:50 PM 05-29-2010
Congratulations! Pretty ring.
TGT09 06:48 PM 05-29-2010
Congrats! How very exciting!
momofsix 07:48 PM 05-29-2010
Marinavanessa, congratulations!!! What an exciting time in your life right now--and what a beautiful ring! I'm so happy for you!
professionalmom 09:58 AM 05-30-2010
I live 250 miles away from my family. I rarely get to see them because of my daycare schedule. I currently do not have weekday clients & my weekend family did not need me for today, so I was planning a trip to visit my family. Well, I got a new client that was supposed to start this week (Tues - Thurs). So I was scrapping the trip. Yesterday the new mom said that her DD was still in school and I would only have her 1 hr (instead of 4) a day for those 3 days. After I thought about it, it seemed crazy to miss this opportunity to see my family just so I could work 3 hours this week, so I talked to the new mom today and asked if we can just start the next week. She said, "sure, no problem." I also explained that we would be better able to get acquainted when we can start with the regular schedule. I did not think 1 hour a day for 3 days would be productive for getting to know each other because she would arrive, have a snack, clean up and only have 20-30 minutes to play, then go home. The mom agreed! Also, I asked her to ask her DD's teachers where they were at in school so I can continue with DCG over the summer. The mom loved that idea!

If the mom had any problem with it, I would have stayed home so I wouldn't lose a client. But I am SO glad she was fine with it! So, my daughter and I are on our way to visit my family! Yay!!
MarinaVanessa 03:53 PM 05-30-2010
Thank You, Thank You everybody!! Looks like all of us are having a great weekend ... thank goodness. The weather was sooo nice today that it was deffinetely a beach day and then I remembered that I don't like wet sand in my suit lol. We made it a pool day instead. Now it's time to BBQ!!!

I may have the weekend off from my DC littles but my 3 nephews ended up coming over to hang out and 2 of them spent the night last night . I swear I ALWAYS have kids here. Family day today at our house (usually at my furure MIL's) which is great. I'll just gain some extra DIL points by giving her a day off from cooking .
MarinaVanessa 10:44 PM 05-31-2010
Wow, I guess my weekend just keeps getting better and better. This should have started as a vent but I didn't want to ruin the weekend by complaining about it. I was afraid I'd jinx my weekend. Anyway here's how it unfolded:

Thursday: DCM of two kiddos is also kinda like family. She's my daughter's aunt on my daughters' dads side of the family (not my fiance's daughter). Anyway, she gets a little snooty because I'll be closed on Monday (duh holiday). All families know that I close and she didn't arrange alternate care. Tries to guilt trip me but I don't budge. Leaves a little huffy and puffy.

FridayComes in the morning and tells me that her mom is going to watch her kids from now on and she won't be coming back next week. I'm a little upset but I just tell her that I need it in writing and remind her that she looses her deposit and ask if she's sure she doesn't want to stay for the 2 weeks. She says "No, keep the money. You'll need it" . Hunny calls me at lunch and I mention it, he says that sucks but oh well. I call my waiting list numbers and they don't need care, no more waiting list . At pick-up she gives me a simple note saying this is her last day of care. Hunny comes home and proposes (after I change a dirty diaper lol) and totally cheers me up. Tells me that he mentions that I have openings to an employee of a client with 2 kiddos. Potential clients call and we do phone interview, she sounds interested. Says she'll call back.

Saturday We have a great day at the pool and when we get back I get a call from potential fam. She asks a few more questions. Says she'll call back. ok, cool.

Sunday We have a great family day at my house (rare) and BBQ. I get a call from potential fam. She wants to meet in person Monday.

Monday Family goes to the 1st showing at the movies to watch new Shrek movie in 3D. We take up an entire row and 3 more seats and have a blast.
-1:30pm, family comes over (mom, dad, daughter 2 & son 6 months). They stay until 3pm and seem to like it. 2 year-old doesn't want to leave and baby likes me and lets me play and hold him no problem. Mom says she has to go home and discuss things with husband. Hmm .. ok. Get a little nervous.
-6pm call from potential familiy ... they want to start tomorrow! I say great!
-7pm call from daughter's aunt (had given 2 weeks notice). She says she wants to bring kiddos tomorrow and finish her two-weeks afterall. I tell her that I already filled her spot and that they start tomorrow and that if I allow her to bring her kiddos that I'll be over capicity by 2 kids so I can't do it. Demands her deposit back. In a nice way I tell her to read her contract and that I'll be e-mailing her a copy of her written two weeks notice with the last day of care as 5/28/10 . Say I'm sorry (while smiling but sounding sincere) and say bye-bye.

How I love Karma. Looks like that's the end of my involvement with my daughter's dad's family. Good riddance.
misol 12:54 PM 06-01-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:

Monday Family goes to the 1st showing at the movies to watch new Shrek movie in 3D. We take up an entire row and 3 more seats and have a blast.
-1:30pm, family comes over (mom, dad, daughter 2 & son 6 months). They stay until 3pm and seem to like it. 2 year-old doesn't want to leave and baby likes me and lets me play and hold him no problem. Mom says she has to go home and discuss things with husband. Hmm .. ok. Get a little nervous.
-7pm call from daughter's aunt (had given 2 weeks notice). She says she wants to bring kiddos tomorrow and finish her two-weeks afterall. I tell her that I already filled her spot and that they start tomorrow and that if I allow her to bring her kiddos that I'll be over capicity by 2 kids so I can't do it. Demands her deposit back. In a nice way I tell her to read her contract and that I'll be e-mailing her a copy of her written two weeks notice with the last day of care as 5/28/10 . Say I'm sorry (while smiling but sounding sincere) and say bye-bye.

How I love Karma. Looks like that's the end of my involvement with my daughter's dad's family. Good riddance.
THIS STORY COULD NOT HAVE HAD A BETTER ENDING!!!!
MarinaVanessa 07:24 PM 06-01-2010
THIS STORY COULD NOT HAVE HAD A BETTER ENDING!!!!
No, I don't think there could have been a better ending. I wasn't surprised that she'd want to leave because she'd done it before and then came back to "finish her two weeks" but never left. I put my blinders on because I didn't want to have to go through the trouble of interviews and advertising so my fault. This time is was great to get that call ... I immediately said yes!! It was totally great.

Sent the e-mail off today and havn't heard a word since. Kinda glad she's gone. My daughter's dad knew a lot of what happens in my personal life that I don't share with my daughter so I'm sure she was relaying info to him (they're cousins).
momofboys 01:57 PM 06-01-2010
Wow, I guess my weekend just keeps getting better and better. This should have started as a vent but I didn't want to ruin the weekend by complaining about it. I was afraid I'd jinx my weekend. Anyway here's how it unfolded:

Thursday: DCM of two kiddos is also kinda like family. She's my daughter's aunt on my daughters' dads side of the family (not my fiance's daughter). Anyway, she gets a little snooty because I'll be closed on Monday (duh holiday). All families know that I close and she didn't arrange alternate care. Tries to guilt trip me but I don't budge. Leaves a little huffy and puffy.

FridayComes in the morning and tells me that her mom is going to watch her kids from now on and she won't be coming back next week. I'm a little upset but I just tell her that I need it in writing and remind her that she looses her deposit and ask if she's sure she doesn't want to stay for the 2 weeks. She says "No, keep the money. You'll need it" . Hunny calls me at lunch and I mention it, he says that sucks but oh well. I call my waiting list numbers and they don't need care, no more waiting list . At pick-up she gives me a simple note saying this is her last day of care. Hunny comes home and proposes (after I change a dirty diaper lol) and totally cheers me up. Tells me that he mentions that I have openings to an employee of a client with 2 kiddos. Potential clients call and we do phone interview, she sounds interested. Says she'll call back.

Saturday We have a great day at the pool and when we get back I get a call from potential fam. She asks a few more questions. Says she'll call back. ok, cool.

Sunday We have a great family day at my house (rare) and BBQ. I get a call from potential fam. She wants to meet in person Monday.

Awesome!~ I love it!
momofboys 02:00 PM 06-01-2010
DCM comes to pay today & asks is the total "***x" which is in fact the correct amount! However, I told her I was planning to give her a credit for last week when her DD was gone part of the day b/c of an appt to which she replied, "Oh no, I didn't give you enough notice so there is no need for a credit" I am beyond shocked!
sahm2three 04:26 PM 07-14-2010
but today was a great, stress free day!! Why do I feel bad saying it? Because ODD dcb ended up going home sick at 8:30 this morning and it was so peaceful! Everyone got along, everyone had fun! It was fantastic! This is how I imagined my daycare would be! I hate to say it but I think I need to let the family go. I love the kids so much, but I got a taste of how it should be!
MarinaVanessa 07:51 AM 07-15-2010
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
but today was a great, stress free day!! Why do I feel bad saying it? Because ODD dcb ended up going home sick at 8:30 this morning and it was so peaceful! Everyone got along, everyone had fun! It was fantastic! This is how I imagined my daycare would be! I hate to say it but I think I need to let the family go. I love the kids so much, but I got a taste of how it should be!
And in the end it's your choice and either way whatever you final decision is the fact that you at least tried to make it work should be a comfort. I'm losing 2 kiddos (siblings) but it's been hard for me to feel really bad even though I'll now have 3 openings because the baby was a hip baby and everytime I walked away from him the further and further I got the louder he got lol. And his 3yo sister would cry everyday her mom would leave but what did we expect? Mom kept coming back and coddling her (sometimes 2 or 3 times) even after I asked her not to stay longer than a few minutes. They are only here 3 days a week so Wednesday & Thursday are so relaxing and I hear no screaming, crying or yelling YAY! 5 days a week of this is awsome!!
Abigail 09:26 PM 08-14-2010
This is actually the first time I've opened "The Positive Thread" LOL.

I wanted to share that this week I work noon-4 pm at our daycare center and Thursday went terrible, so Friday my goal was to have a happy day. It did help that we celebrated a girls 3rd birthday and they had watched Happy Feet (or at least the end of it, when I got there) and after nap time...which was actually quiet for an hour and a half (vs. Thursday was 15 minutes of quiet!!!) we had cupcakes.

One thing we had to do was wash hands over and over since we had cupcakes after nap. Mostly 3-5 year olds and none really wash their hands well. So, I started helping each one wash their hands and starting singing what we were doing to catch their interest.

"First we wet our hands with water, then we make bubbles with soap"....I always turn down the hot water as every child turns it on full blast no matter what age and turn up the cold water, then I help them reach the soap dispenser on the wall and rub their hands together NOT UNDER THE WATER. WHY?--Every child I've seen 'use' soap puts it on one hand, under the water it goes and right down the drain, so I tell them we make bubbles and then they keep their hands out of the water so they can lather.

"The bubbles catch the germs, then we wash them away....Bye Bye Germs!" and "Now we dry our hands with a paper towel".
I had two good moments with this song...or something very similar. First, once this 3 year old girl had made 'bubbles' on her hands I said, "Do you see that?" sounding really excited......pointing to a large bubble on the palm of her hand. Then I said, "That bubble just ate a germ!" She smiled and giggled. Second, she walked out of the bathroom rubbing her hands saying to herself "Bye Bye Germs"....it sooo made my day!!!!

I guess my song doesn't really have a tune to it because I have a few extra seconds of gap between singing what we are doing. I tried singing Twinkle twinkle little star with a few of the kids before and they just were not making the connection with the time spent washing their hands. It's also much easier to ask them to "make bubbles" than "use soap".
MarinaVanessa 12:27 PM 08-16-2010
Potty training a 4yo DCB and all last week was a failure. He flat out refused to use the toilet or potty at all. This morning I was coming out of the bathroom and he asked me what I was doing. I noticed he was playing with the dinosaurs and remembered he loves dinos so I told him I was feeding the dinosaurs in my basement (we don't have a basement). He looked at me with wide-eyed wonder and asked me "You have dinosaurs in your basement?" and I told him "Sure, don't you have some too?" he said he didn't think so and asked me how to feed the dinosaurs where I went into a very creative description about how you sit on the potty and flush the poo-poo and the pee-pee into the basement where the dinosaurs can eat it . He has so far asked to "feed the dinosaurs" three times. Now all I have to do is explain to his mom about how he "fed the dinosaurs" today, I hope she appreciates the use of my creative story as much as I do.
DCMom 03:44 PM 08-16-2010
Potty training a 4yo DCB and all last week was a failure. He flat out refused to use the toilet or potty at all. This morning I was coming out of the bathroom and he asked me what I was doing. I noticed he was playing with the dinosaurs and remembered he loves dinos so I told him I was feeding the dinosaurs in my basement (we don't have a basement). He looked at me with wide-eyed wonder and asked me "You have dinosaurs in your basement?" and I told him "Sure, don't you have some too?" he said he didn't think so and asked me how to feed the dinosaurs where I went into a very creative description about how you sit on the potty and flush the poo-poo and the pee-pee into the basement where the dinosaurs can eat it . He has so far asked to "feed the dinosaurs" three times. Now all I have to do is explain to his mom about how he "fed the dinosaurs" today, I hope she appreciates the use of my creative story as much as I do.
Good Job!! I love it
misol 11:02 AM 08-17-2010
Hey, whatever works If this kid is already 4 then you have to pull out all the stops. Awesome job!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 11:12 AM 08-17-2010
rofl!!!!! now that is creative and wonderful!
SunflowerMama 11:15 AM 08-20-2010
I got two new dcks this week (13 month old girl and 20 month old boy). They have been so amazing all week and both have gone right to sleep at naptime at 12:30p and I've had to wake both up for pick up at 3:30p/4 every day this week . All the dcks and my own 2 have all slept 3+ hrs every day this week. I'm sure next week will be different but this has been a great week!!

Yeah for great sleepers and have a wonderful Friday!!
fr1endly2 08:59 AM 08-26-2010
I found this site!!!!!!
Michael 11:11 AM 08-26-2010
Originally Posted by fr1endly2:
I found this site!!!!!!
Welcome.....we're glad you found us too!
DCMomOf3 11:37 AM 08-26-2010
I have a newly pg DCM so if all goes well I'll have a new baby next spring/summer! I'm not allowed to talk about it in real life yet since it's the first tri, but I had to get it out somewhere.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 03:30 PM 08-26-2010
YIPPEEEE on the new baby!!!!!!! I have 3 pregnant moms right now! I love it,.. I feel so much a part of the new baby's life when I get to be part of the pregnancy.
Unregistered 05:01 AM 08-28-2010
I am a teacher, so I go back to work next week. I found a day-care that I am very excited about. The kids went one day last week and loved it. They had no crying or anxiety at all. This is worth a million dollars to me. Then I got papers with the activities they did. They did finger plays, sensory activities, outside "playground", and more! I am so happy to have them in a good spot.

Other than that I could write a book about funny things they say and do. My daughter told me her name is "Cutie Putie Pie" not ------. Good Stuff.

Have a great week everyone! Keep up the positive thinking!

http://www.PlayisEssential.net
DCMomOf3 05:17 AM 08-30-2010
My dishwasher was leaving a bunch of residue all over my dishes and I was able to fix it all by myself! Sparkley clean dishes were waiting for me this morning.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 06:44 PM 08-31-2010
This is a praise,.. and a vent in the same breath,... not daycare,...
but,...
my son leaves for college in the morning! Ahhhhhh when did he grow up?
Michael 01:35 AM 09-01-2010
My son just turned 18 too. I agree, when does the time go?
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 08:51 AM 09-01-2010
Bub will be 19 in nov! and,.. in true Mom fashion,.. we had spaghetti for dinner last night,...the same meal I had the night before he came into my life before he was born,... I thought it fitting,.. seeing how he is moving on to another home( dorm life) and new adventures outside his family.
SilverSabre25 10:23 AM 09-01-2010
I figured out the secret to 16 mo. DCB's naps! Only ten minutes yesterday and 15 today to get him to sleep, and I didn't have to go back in and lay him down at all! BONUS: He actually ate some food today!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10:43 AM 09-01-2010
Yeah on figuring out the naps! I swear that is the hardest part of our job,.. getting everyone on schedule!
TGT09 02:21 PM 09-01-2010
Took DCB's to the park today and met a nice Grandpa there with his grand-daughter....happened to mention I do daycare and he immediately asked my prices and was like you'll be hearing from me. My daughter just started a new job and I've been told I'm the "daycare provider". lol He said it's just too much for him and was very pleased with my rates! Yippee! Plus, toddler dcb looooved the little girl.
DCMomOf3 03:16 PM 09-01-2010
Originally Posted by TGT09:
Took DCB's to the park today and met a nice Grandpa there with his grand-daughter....happened to mention I do daycare and he immediately asked my prices and was like you'll be hearing from me. My daughter just started a new job and I've been told I'm the "daycare provider". lol He said it's just too much for him and was very pleased with my rates! Yippee! Plus, toddler dcb looooved the little girl.
I hope it works out for you! Yippee indeed!!
Lilbutterflie 09:45 AM 09-02-2010
I feel vindicated today!!! I started watching a 2mo old baby (now he's 5 mo) full time- then I told the mom it would not work out full time b/c of issues I had with her. Now I am just a backup provider. She has questioned EVERY policy in my contract; and I have a very standard contract. She even called me one day out of the blue & wanted to make sure I would never forget her son in the hot car. Basically she wanted to control everything and was never happy. She was expecting a nanny more than a daycare provider. Well, she has been gloating that her son will finally have a daycare center near her work & saying how excited she is for him to begin. I felt like she was basically telling me my service was inadequate and the new service would be better. Well, today was her son's first day at this daycare center, and she is already very unhappy! "All the babies were crying... thank GOD my son was not one of them... he came after breakfast time & they refused to feed him his oatmeal..." I feel so vindicated! Finally she realizes that it's NOT just me... that you have to give up some control when you bring your child to daycare, and follow their rules & schedules, not your own. Now she's looking for an in-home nanny, which is good b/c that's exactly what she needs.
SilverSabre25 02:18 PM 09-10-2010
DCG burst into tears when she saw her dad walk in--she was having too much fun and didn't want to leave! The best compliment I could get from a kid, I think.
GretasLittleFriends 05:56 AM 09-12-2010
My new dck (7yr old problem child) was so good yesterday. He didn't even end up in time out once!! I think he's finally figured out I mean business and I'm not going to bend.
SilverSabre25 08:13 AM 09-20-2010
An old family who used me for a couple months back in the Spring called me this morning and asked if I could watch their little boy for a few hours today. They said they'd pay me for the whole day, especially since it's short notice. I was more than happy to do this for them--their little boy is very sweet and I've been using them as a reference this whole time. They have always been one of my nicest families. So this is nice, even though their son is VERY unhappy about being here and has been crying almost nonstop since he got here an hour ago. It's a bonus $30 and a chance to do something nice for someone in desperate straits!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10:14 AM 09-22-2010
my woot highchairs came fed ex today!!!! took me 30 minutes to get the first one together with no power tools (its naptime, lol) . I got 3 kolcraft recline and dine highchairs for $68 including shipping a couple weeks ago. They came today. Yippee!!!! They all match and I get to get rid of my old graco one that lost its seat pad years ago, and the antique one my dad gave me when I had my daughter will go to storage so as not to be broken by day kids. Plus they recline so my infant will be able to use one as well!!!
misol 10:39 AM 09-22-2010
my woot highchairs came fed ex today!!!! took me 30 minutes to get the first one together with no power tools (its naptime, lol) . I got 3 kolcraft recline and dine highchairs for $68 including shipping a couple weeks ago. They came today. Yippee!!!! They all match and I get to get rid of my old graco one that lost its seat pad years ago, and the antique one my dad gave me when I had my daughter will go to storage so as not to be broken by day kids. Plus they recline so my infant will be able to use one as well!!!
Wow, that's a great price. I heard someone on here mention woot a few months ago. I just signed up and now I can hardly wait to see what tomorrow's item is. I L-O-V-E- a deal. My sister told me about groupon.com and I have been using that for a while now. Seems like it's very similar to woot except it's for services (local) rather than products. Actually, advertising on groupon may be the way to go for large centers. OK, I'm starting to sound like I work for them so... I'm done
MarinaVanessa 06:46 PM 09-27-2010
Yay I'm so excited. I qualified for the ECE Stipend Project which is an opportunity to take college courses in the Child Development field and get money back, so in essence my classes get paid for (I pay for them and get a stipend afterwards). I've been taking self-instruction courses from care courses to put toward my CDA credits but I have been looking at taking college courses also in the Spring and this makes my day! The only thing is that if lots of people apply for it and qualify then it turns into a drawing so wish me luck!!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 03:07 AM 09-28-2010
SOOOOO HAPPY for you!!!! WOO HOO!!
misol 08:03 PM 09-28-2010
Yay I'm so excited. I qualified for the ECE Stipend Project which is an opportunity to take college courses in the Child Development field and get money back, so in essence my classes get paid for (I pay for them and get a stipend afterwards). I've been taking self-instruction courses from care courses to put toward my CDA credits but I have been looking at taking college courses also in the Spring and this makes my day! The only thing is that if lots of people apply for it and qualify then it turns into a drawing so wish me luck!!
Great news! Hopefully you will just get it and won"t have to deal with the drawing!
MarinaVanessa 12:07 PM 09-29-2010
Great news! Hopefully you will just get it and won"t have to deal with the drawing!
Yep that's what I'm hoping will happen also. This would help out a lot. I was already planning to sign up for spring at our community college (maybe some internet classes) and pay for them myself so if I get it, it would be amazing. Each class I want will cost little anyway $78 plus the cost of books (which is way more than the cost of the class lol) and they give $600 just for taking 3 units! That would cover 2 more classes AND books in the spring! Sounds good to me .
Live and Learn 01:38 PM 09-29-2010
The 16month old who has been having a rough go of it has been so much more relaxed the last two days. After a month in attendance I was beginning to wonder if he was every going to figure out how to sooth himself. Life is so much better without a screaming siren in the house.
MarinaVanessa 04:08 PM 09-29-2010
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
The 16month old who has been having a rough go of it has been so much more relaxed the last two days. After a month in attendance I was beginning to wonder if he was every going to figure out how to sooth himself. Life is so much better without a screaming siren in the house.
Yay! Congratulations! Life is so wonderful when they finally adjust.
sahm2three 03:07 PM 10-08-2010
Had a GREAT day today!!! My problem children/family was gone, and it was so peaceful and quiet!!! We did some fun crafts and played outside! It was a GREAT day!!
ninosqueridos 06:57 PM 09-29-2010
I changed dcb's naptime (who was on a morning nap, almost 2yo, and never shared a nap room with any other dck) to be the same as everyone else's because *I* felt he was ready...and he is doing GREAT with his new time and roomies. DCM looked a little shocked but is going to be changing naptime on the weekends to mine.
SilverSabre25 07:05 PM 09-29-2010
Ooo, I love it when the parents trust that we know what we're doing and are making a good choice for their kids! Congrats! When I started trying to switch a 15 month old (who was fighting her morning nap like a wildcat) to one nap a day, her mom flipped on me. They're no longer with me, thank goodness...the mom was awfully uptight! I have a much more laid back group of parents now (with one notable exception!) and it's much easier.
Maria2013 06:59 AM 08-23-2013
it's Friday and I don't work this weekend !
Sunshine74 09:29 PM 08-27-2013
DCD came in with a bottle of wine for each teacher who works with DCG (she is leaving for preschool next week). It was the first time anyone has ever brought me something other then Christmas.
My Daycare 02:47 PM 09-30-2010
I Passed Inspection Today!!! Now I just wait for my license to come in the mail. I really have no idea how long that will take, but at least its one step further!!!
Michael 02:49 PM 09-30-2010
Originally Posted by My Daycare:
I Passed Inspection Today!!! Now I just wait for my license to come in the mail. I really have no idea how long that will take, but at least its one step further!!!
One step at a time we can climb the tallest mountain. Congratulations!
My Daycare 12:29 PM 10-01-2010
Originally Posted by Michael:
One step at a time we can climb the tallest mountain. Congratulations!
Thank You!!!
MyAngels 04:30 PM 09-30-2010
Originally Posted by My Daycare:
I'm in Illinois, too, and got a letter from my licensing rep just a couple of days after my renewal visit, with the license itself just a few days after that. It was for a renewal, though, not an initial license. Hopefully it won't take too long. Congratulations!
My Daycare 12:32 PM 10-01-2010
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I'm in Illinois, too, and got a letter from my licensing rep just a couple of days after my renewal visit, with the license itself just a few days after that. It was for a renewal, though, not an initial license. Hopefully it won't take too long. Congratulations!
Wow! That's quick! My rep just left me a voicemail today and said that I should be getting a letter from her and then the license about 2 weeks later. So, maybe it is the same process as a renewal.
Tags:fun stuff, great news, happy, positive, tgif
1 2 3  ... Last
Reply Up