Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Are You Worried About Coronavirus?
Valerie928 08:01 AM 02-27-2020
I am trying not to be. But social media has inflated this and made it so scary. Is stopping the virus/containing the spread worth it? Should we accept it into our lives and stop trying to stop it? To me, it seems like another flu virus or similar. Some people infected will recover quick, some not so much, some pass away. Just curious as to what you folks are thinking?
Cat Herder 08:19 AM 02-27-2020
The media needs to sell ads and print.

The precautions are exactly the same as for any virus.
Baby Beluga 08:24 AM 02-27-2020
Not at all.

Practice the same health precautions as with anything else and always have a stockpile/preps in place for any emergency - not just coronavirus.
tenderhearts 08:35 AM 02-27-2020
I am slightly but with any illness right now since my husband is currently going through chemo and his white blood cell count is always low.
Unregistered 08:40 AM 02-27-2020
Yes! Iowa public health department just put out a webinar for providers to learn how to prevent the spread in daycares. Obviously they think it will be bad. the webinar is an hour long.
Valerie928 09:10 AM 02-27-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Yes! Iowa public health department just put out a webinar for providers to learn how to prevent the spread in daycares. Obviously they think it will be bad. the webinar is an hour long.
That's kinda extreme. I mean the virus has been around for 1 month and there are only 15 infected/ quarantined/ almost all recovered US persons. I understand being prepared but influenza has killed at least 30,000 people this season so far.
BumbleBee 03:26 PM 02-27-2020
Honestly, no.
e.j. 04:47 PM 02-27-2020
I'm not panicking but I am concerned. I think it's fear of the unknown: How will it play out here in the US and will I or anyone I know be personally affected by it.

It'd be nice if we could expect everyone to do their part to stem the spread but after being a day care provider for as many years as I have been, I'm not counting on it. Wash your hands? Cover your mouth when you sneeze or cough? Stay home when you're sick? Don't try to stay and chit chat at pick up time when your hacking and coughing all over my playroom and kitchen? Yeah...sure.
Unregistered 08:30 AM 03-02-2020
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...r-schools.html
MomBoss 04:16 AM 03-06-2020
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

This is how i get my info. It shows how many people have recovered. The media never talks about that, making it seem bigger than what it is.

100,000 people have been infected, but 50,000 of that have recovered.
Annalee 04:52 AM 03-06-2020
I visited the local clinic to get my monthly B12 shot yesterday. She said "if anyone would read a Lysol can, they would know coronavirus and viruses like it have been around for a long while and the media was causing the scare issues". In a neighboring county, a man has been diagnosed with a mild case of coronavirus and they have cancelled school in that county for today and Monday because this man has a son that attends school there. THis man had traveled to Boston at some point is where they think he got it! ??
Snowmom 06:16 AM 03-06-2020
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I visited the local clinic to get my monthly B12 shot yesterday. She said "if anyone would read a Lysol can, they would know coronavirus and viruses like it have been around for a long while and the media was causing the scare issues". In a neighboring county, a man has been diagnosed with a mild case of coronavirus and they have cancelled school in that county for today and Monday because this man has a son that attends school there. THis man had traveled to Boston at some point is where they think he got it! ??
This bothers me. Same when people bring up how the flu kills more people.

Apples/Oranges

Novel COVID19 coronavirus.
Novel=new.
New strain.
New strain=unknown
Unknown is the scary part.
Cat Herder 06:36 AM 03-06-2020
Originally Posted by Snowmom:

Apples/Oranges

Novel=new.
New strain.
New strain=unknown
Coronaviruses (all of them) are also a bit different in that they are in RNA (precursor to DNA), not DNA. Which means they can mutate very quickly. The broader the exposure to live animal hosts, the more likely they will be enabled to jump from their origin species into humans. From there it mutates from a protein to person to person contact infection with ever-adapting effectiveness. Once that it is airborne it presents a bigger challenge.

It is a big deal to researchers, but for the average person, it only requires the same precautions as every other virus. With travel becoming affordable for most people, we will see bigger spreads of everything. Not just coronaviruses.
Blackcat31 03:07 PM 03-06-2020
Originally Posted by Snowmom:

Apples/Oranges

Novel=new.
New strain.
New strain=unknown
I just heard the first case has been identified in MN (Ramsey county). I haven't read any detail but from what I have heard it is an elderly man that was on a cruise.

Found a link to it http://www.startribune.com/minnesota...ase/568566962/
Snowmom 07:02 AM 03-09-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I just heard the first case has been identified in MN (Ramsey county). I haven't read any detail but from what I have heard it is an elderly man that was on a cruise.

Found a link to it http://www.startribune.com/minnesota...ase/568566962/

The second case is in my neighboring county.

I'm actually surprised we haven't heard from DHS directly. Usually my county's licensing reps are on top of this kind of stuff. When swine flu was a threat, they emailed us weekly with information and policy suggestions. I haven't heard one word from them in the last month except about the update to fingerprinting costs.
Second Home 05:00 AM 03-06-2020
So there are now 3 confirmed cases in MD ( not far from me). What concerns me is that they all were on the same trip overseas and arrived back in MD on Feb 20 . They had no health screenings until the health department contacted them yesterday because someone else on the same trip was confirmed to have it . People are not being screened or monitored after returning home from affected areas overseas .
These 3 people ( a couple in their 70's and a single person in her 50's) were out in the community since returning ,even when they felt sick.
Second Home 05:04 AM 03-06-2020
And to add that they say people with compromised health are at a greater risk. They are including medical issues like high blood pressure and diabetes as being at higher risk .
Ariana 09:18 AM 03-06-2020
Originally Posted by Second Home:
So there are now 3 confirmed cases in MD ( not far from me). What concerns me is that they all were on the same trip overseas and arrived back in MD on Feb 20 . They had no health screenings until the health department contacted them yesterday because someone else on the same trip was confirmed to have it . People are not being screened or monitored after returning home from affected areas overseas .
These 3 people ( a couple in their 70's and a single person in her 50's) were out in the community since returning ,even when they felt sick.
Same here! A security guard got it near Toronto and worked for two weeks with it. No one screened him eventhough he came back from an overseas trip.

I have also been reading that there aren’t enough tests so people coming to hospital with Covid19 symptoms are simply being told to quarantine for 14 days without confirmation of illness. Saw a post on twitter (not saying twitter posts are always true) that their coworker was told to quarantine without proof she has coronavirus and no one in her office was notified.
Msdunny 11:11 AM 03-06-2020
We have a new case here in N.C. The person just got back from Italy. I don’t know what to believe anymore. Supposedly people in Italy are saying it isn’t that bad there, but then a guy has come back with it. I still think it isn’t as serious as the flu, but it does appear to spread pretty easily.

Since this is the second case confirmed close to me, I will be sending a updated, firmer illness policy next week it think.
Annalee 11:22 AM 03-06-2020
I do think the coronavirus is real and not something I want necessarily but I also feel that it is being used as another negative tactic with the presidential race coming soon. How many times has the heading "Trump doesn't take coronavirus seriously, or Trump hasn't spoken about the coronavirus", etc. Now he has but but then they scrutinize what he said. No matter which side we are on, issues like coronavirus is used for political gain. Just my opinions!

Off-topic, Trump is in my state today viewing all the tornado damage. There is so much else going on within my state right now and this tragic weather we recently had with 25 lives lost is devastating to communities.
Michael 12:47 PM 03-06-2020
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
We have a new case here in N.C. The person just got back from Italy. I don’t know what to believe anymore. Supposedly people in Italy are saying it isn’t that bad there, but then a guy has come back with it. I still think it isn’t as serious as the flu, but it does appear to spread pretty easily.

Since this is the second case confirmed close to me, I will be sending a updated, firmer illness policy next week it think.
There are two strains (L-type and S-type). L-type is much worse than the other.
https://www.newscientist.com/article...e-more-deadly/

I know the media is sensationalizing much of it but what happened in China was not media driven. Hopefully they contained the bad one in Wuhan and a less virulent one is making the rounds.
Josiegirl 03:31 AM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by Msdunny:

I thought I read the opposite....not as easy to catch as the flu but more lethal? Could be I totally screwed it around in my aging brain though.

My sister feels it's been here for quite awhile but we're just hearing about it more recently. And I tend to agree with her. Even now, there must be lots of issues where kids are getting colds or people just slug through a couple days of feeling under the weather then feel better. Who knows what caused it? Did every single one of those people get tested? And as far as people being quarantined, that's all fine and dandy but are they being 100% plus who came in contact before they went housebound?? And look at the person who came back from a trip(Italy I think??) and was tested(later confirmed as positive), advised to self-quarantine, but then attended a mixer that included medical students??? That happened right over the border from me, at Dartmouth in NH. He's being charged with a misdemeanor. One person has knowingly contracted the virus from that specific time. Then you've got the very contagious incubation period. And it goes on and on.
The virus is here and will spread. Do your duty as a healthy citizen, take care of yourself, take care of others and especially take care of your loved ones that are considered at higher risk. Just be smart and don't go crazy.
And hey, maybe just stay home until summer.
Rockgirl 03:03 PM 03-16-2020
In Texas, we’re now required to check every child’s temp upon arrival, and parents may not come inside, unless there’s a legitimate reason. All drop offs and pickups must be done outside.
Cat Herder 03:06 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
In Texas, we’re now required to check every child’s temp upon arrival, and parents may not come inside, unless there’s a legitimate reason. All drop offs and pickups must be done outside.
God bless Texas. That is how it's done.
Rockgirl 03:12 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
God bless Texas. That is how it's done.
I may continue this way, even after the requirements are lifted! Parents are texting me when they pull up outside, and I’m meeting them at the door with their child. BUH-BYE, now!
Ariana 12:03 PM 03-17-2020
The requirement here as well.
Ariana 12:06 PM 03-17-2020
Social distancing, closing restaurants, daycares, schools and any large gatherings is imperative right now. In Canada we are doing as much as we possibly can. In one week Italy went from 300 cases to 20,000. They did nothing to stop it. The idea is not to stop Covid19 but to slow it down so as not to burden the healthcare system. Flatten the curve is what they are calling it here.
flying_babyb 05:05 PM 03-17-2020
Our center in wi got called vital this morning! guess we will likely be open awhile. On that note most of our restraunts are take out only... I walked through the Mc.donalds drive through on my lunch break!
CenterTeacher20 05:51 PM 03-17-2020
This crisis is finally hitting me. Its real. I've had the *moment* and now my anxiety is through the roof!
storybookending 12:10 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
Our center in wi got called vital this morning! guess we will likely be open awhile. On that note most of our restraunts are take out only... I walked through the Mc.donalds drive through on my lunch break!
One day later and they are now restricting centers to 10 teachers and 50 children. This day by day is nonsense just bite the bullet and shut it all down, we all know it’s coming.
CeriBear 05:36 AM 03-20-2020
We are doing this as well. Parents are allowed to come to the door and a staff member will walk the child to the parent. We’ve been doing this for the past few days and most parents are very understanding.
We are also going to start checking temps as each child arrives. Upon arrival each child will be checked for a fever and anything close to 100 will be sent home even before entering. Staff members must also be checked.
MyAngels 10:40 AM 03-20-2020
I read this article yesterday. Based on what they're saying we've got a long way to go, and we may be going in the wrong direction with the whole social distancing rather than ramping up testing capacity so that everyone can get tested.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...avirus/608389/
flying_babyb 10:06 AM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by CeridwenLynne:
We are doing this as well. Parents are allowed to come to the door and a staff member will walk the child to the parent. We’ve been doing this for the past few days and most parents are very understanding.
We are also going to start checking temps as each child arrives. Upon arrival each child will be checked for a fever and anything close to 100 will be sent home even before entering. Staff members must also be checked.
Good policy but it may be worth noting that some people run at a cooler temputure normally, like my normal is 97.6. If I hit 100, Im half dead. May be worth noting what is normal for each child.
dolores 11:08 AM 03-21-2020
I was informed today by one of my families that mom has the coronavirus and dcb has sniffles . We have been closed since Monday however the CDC says the virus is contagious 2-14 days after exposure. We are in a densely populated city which is being called the epicenter of the virus. It seems to me that once we leave our home or someone comes into ours, exposure is inevitable. As for kids in our care, social distancing and hands off face are impossible. Stay safe everyone
e.j. 11:25 AM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by dolores:
I was informed today by one of my families that mom has the coronavirus and dcb has sniffles . We have been closed since Monday however the CDC says the virus is contagious 2-14 days after exposure. We are in a densely populated city which is being called the epicenter of the virus. It seems to me that once we leave our home or someone comes into ours, exposure is inevitable. As for kids in our care, social distancing and hands off face are impossible. Stay safe everyone
Oh, wow! That has to be weighing on your mind. I hope you and your family defy the odds and stay healthy. Is it just certain areas of NY that have been told to shelter in place or has the entire state been told?
Unregistered 03:51 PM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by Valerie928:
I am trying not to be. But social media has inflated this and made it so scary. Is stopping the virus/containing the spread worth it? Should we accept it into our lives and stop trying to stop it? To me, it seems like another flu virus or similar. Some people infected will recover quick, some not so much, some pass away. Just curious as to what you folks are thinking?
They are saying they are worried about not having enough space and supplies in the hospitals and that is why they are trying to stop the spread. That and all who are vulnerable who cannot handle this virus.
Valerie928 07:43 PM 03-21-2020
I often wonder if this virus has actually been here in the United states much longer than just the past few weeks? Being flu season, I wonder how many folks simply felt under the weather and dismissed it as a cold/flu. Think about it. A lot of people traveled to China in January/February.
Michael 10:02 PM 03-21-2020
This is junk science but I have a "theory" about this virus. I grows in the lower intestines. It's a bottom up infection as opposed to the normal top down illness like the cold or flu. It gains a foothold in the gut and quietly generates there in the perfect environment. The mucus buildup happens which prevents the intestines from absorbing water and protein. Dehydration occurs that is why people have a dry cough lacking mucus in the pathway. That usually the indicator that we are sick. But this virus does the opposite.

The mucus is propagating in the lower intestine and ultimately helps to overwhelm and bring down the lungs. That is why I believe Italians are getting hit harder. Many are living with gluten intolerance, which does what? It creates mucus, inflation and creates havoc in the gut.

One of the earliest signs of the virus is indigestion.

Coronavirus is finding the perfect host in obese, gluten-intolerant Italians. Look at the Italian family that got wiped out in NJ? They were hugely overweight.

I've cut out the gluten and sugar totally. I am doing the salt water flush when I can. https://www.healthline.com/health/salt-water-flush
Ariana 11:05 PM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by Michael:
This is junk science but I have a "theory" about this virus. I grows in the lower intestines. It's a bottom up infection as opposed to the normal top down illness like the cold or flu. It gains a foothold in the gut and quietly generates there in the perfect environment. The mucus buildup happens which prevents the intestines from absorbing water and protein. Dehydration occurs that is why people have a dry cough lacking mucus in the pathway. That usually the indicator that we are sick. But this virus does the opposite.

The mucus is propagating in the lower intestine and ultimately helps to overwhelm and bring down the lungs. That is why I believe Italians are getting hit harder. Many are living with gluten intolerance, which does what? It creates mucus, inflation and creates havoc in the gut.

One of the earliest signs of the virus is indigestion.

Coronavirus is finding the perfect host in obese, gluten-intolerant Italians. Look at the Italian family that got wiped out in NJ? They were hugely overweight.

I've cut out the gluten and sugar totally. I am doing the salt water flush when I can. https://www.healthline.com/health/salt-water-flush
I think any kind of food intolerance can lower our ability to fight off virus so you definitely are on to something there. If the Ph of your gut is too low, it will not kill a virus. When the body is inflamed it is a perfect host for pathogens. Many obese people suffer from autoimmune disorders which in my opinion is food intolerances in disguise. They don’t absorb nutrients properly so feel hungry all the time and continue to eat. I myself am gluten intolerant and it took me a long time to figure it out. I have been gluten free since October. I also cut out sugar, alcohol and dairy. Dairy is a huge mucous contributer in the lungs.

The Italian population has a lot going on, aging population and huge smokers. Everyone in Europe smokes heavily and they smoke the kind of cigarettes without filters. Especially the older folks. I don’t know how much dairy they consume.
Ariana 11:08 PM 03-21-2020
Now it seems they are limiting groceries and people with big families are not allowed to do their typical grocery runs. A mom who is a vegetarian with 4 kids said she couldn’t buy more than one head of celery and lettuce etc.

I have not been out of my house since last Saturday and I am seriously dreading going out. It sounds like pandemonium. I have had a dry cough since last Sunday (no fever) so I really need to stay home.
Jupadia 05:26 AM 03-24-2020
Ontario Canada is now closing all non essential business as of tonight.

But they are listing home daycares both lincened who are allowed 6 kids and the unlicensed ones who are allowed 5 kids to remain open. We may care for clients of our chosse. Also daycares that have been reopened by city / province to provide care for emergency personnel children. These centers are a couple government / city run ones.

Though in parts of eastern Ontario the regional authorities have ordered home daycares to close.

Right now this would have been good news but all my kids are already out so I'm already closed since no one is comming.
Annalee 05:54 AM 03-24-2020
We receive an email every day since this started from the State and mine yesterday said to move forward as usual unless someone is diagnosed with the virus within our program. So I look for us to remain open as the curve seems to be under control. I'm hoping everything gets back to normal soon. I do not see the schools going back this academic year but we shall see.
Snowmom 06:32 AM 03-24-2020
Before disinfecting procedures on Princess Cruise Ships (Diamond & Grand), CV19 survived on cabin surfaces for 17 days!
The science of this virus is going to be quite amazing for researchers.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/23/cdc-...GNcNoDvGQQH0WE
Tags:bats, cdc, coronavirus, covid-19, infrared, medical terminology, mers-cov, mrsa, pandemic, pandemic - contract, sars-cov-2, world health organization, zoonosis
Reply Up