Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What's Your Diarrhea Policy?
MNmamaOf4 09:47 AM 07-07-2011
I have a DCB who is 9 months. Tuesday he had diarrhea, 1 at 9:30 and 1 at 9:40, he was tired so I laid him down for his nap after the last one. I could have sent him home then, but waited to see if it was just a fluke thing or whatever. When he woke up at 12 he had another runny diaper, so I called the parents to come pick him up and asked that they wait 24 hours from the last runny diaper to bring them back, I called the mom last night to see how he was doing, no answer so I left a message. This morning dad brings him, says he's fine, has a runny nose but other wise fine. I just got him up from his nap a bit ago, changed his diaper and it was runny again. I'm going to wait and see if he has another one and if he does I'll send him home. My PHB states absolutely no diarrhea to any degree and that the must have no diarrhea for 24 hours before returning to daycare.

Anyway, what does your PHB say about diarrhea? When do you send them home?

Thanks!
Crazy8 10:03 AM 07-07-2011
I have the typical 24 symptom free policy but I have been a little more lenient with infants when they have a runny diaper here or there if the child is otherwise acting fine, no fever, etc. Sometimes meds, foods, etc. have caused looser than usual. a handful of blowouts in a day though I would not allow. I guess I just judge it on a case by case basis but I have the policy there to back me up if need be.

Did the parents say what his BM's were like yesterday when they were home with him? I can't imagine he went from solid back to runny but maybe he just didn't have any yesterday??
meganlavonnesmommy 10:04 AM 07-07-2011
I'm a military daycare provider on a military base, so we have to follow the rules set forth by the base. Ours states that we are to exclude the child for "severe diarrhea" which it states is 3 episodes within a 24 hour period.
Or "explosive diarrhea" which can not be contained within the diaper.

I've kept children in the past that met this criteria, but I honestly didnt feel were sick. Especially at that age, with a runny nose it could easily be teething. Teething can cause both the runny nose and diarrhea.

I had a kid once who had bad runny diapers for 3 days because the parents kept feeding him a WHOLE pint of blueberries for breakfast (because he loved them). UGH! Or another who made his mess in the pack and play, it leaked out his diaper, then he smeared it in the mesh walls of the pack and play. Oh what fun.

I guess its a judgement call, if tending to him and his extra diapers are taking too much time away from other kids, or if its leaking out his clothes, then I'd send him home.

If its not, then I'd keep him as long as there were no other symptoms.
squareone 10:13 AM 07-07-2011
My policy is to send them home after the second runny diaper regardless of the reason.
Unregistered 10:54 AM 07-07-2011
3 bad episodes and they stay home for 24 hours regarless of other symptoms.

I have one out today for the same thing and have had a few friends complaining about their kids having it recently (within the last two weeks.) Either it is going around here or the heat is getting to them.
rhymia1 04:57 PM 07-07-2011
My policy is that if it's not contained to the diaper (or toilet for a potty trained kid) then they will have to go home. If they are behaving fine and it's just loose stool but staying in the diaper then I keep them.
GotKids 09:49 AM 07-08-2011
3 or explosive stools and I send them home. I send them home earlier if there are any other symptoms. They need to symptom free to come back.
Cat Herder 10:02 AM 07-08-2011
I follow the CDC recommendations:

"No restrictions unless child has fever, or is too uncomfortable, fatigued or ill to participate in activities, or center unable to accommodate child's increased needs for comfort and rest."

So, IMHO, if they have already soiled their spare clothing, have any accompanying peri-anal rash, any other symptoms (to include lethargy, moodiness, sleepiness, etc), can't play or eat happily with the rest of the group then they do not need to be in GROUP childcare.

Childcare is WELL care.
daycare 10:05 AM 07-08-2011
2 bouts and your out!! lol or if it can not be contained then I send them home.

If there are other symptoms present, then I will send them home after only 1.

stay home until stools have returned to normal, at least 24 hours before child can return..
Mom_of_two 10:46 AM 07-08-2011
I will send them home at two bouts as well. My policy states more than once they go home for 24 hours.
Country Kids 10:55 AM 07-08-2011
What do you do though if it is a couple times a week every week? I have one little guy who goes alot and it will come out of his diaper everytime. I know he isn't sick but sometimes I will send home clothes 2-3 times a week. It will happen one to two times only in the mornings? I've never sent him home because he isn't sick he just goes alot.
Cat Herder 10:59 AM 07-08-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
What do you do though if it is a couple times a week every week? I have one little guy who goes alot and it will come out of his diaper everytime. I know he isn't sick but sometimes I will send home clothes 2-3 times a week. It will happen one to two times only in the mornings? I've never sent him home because he isn't sick he just goes alot.
Sounds like a diet or medical issue, IMHO. I'd recommend his parents have that addressed by a ped.

The last one I had like that was H Pylori
nannyde 11:39 AM 07-08-2011
Originally Posted by squareone:
My policy is to send them home after the second runny diaper regardless of the reason.
That with a 24 hour exclusion
Tags:diarrhea policy, illness policy, infectious disease, provider accountability
Reply Up