Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Center
trb2u2u 04:02 PM 11-16-2010
Is it legal to have a daycare center in a home that is used primarily for the center? Meaning we would be purchasing the home strictly for daycare use. Would really appreciate any input.
AnythingsPossible 08:27 AM 11-17-2010
You would have to check with your city and your licensor. Some cities will allow it, other won't. It all depends on where you are. You may want to meet the neighbors before you fully commit to purchasing. If they are against it, you will be fighting with them and dealing with complaints frequently. Also, I'm not sure what kind of loan and insurance you would have to get since it wouldn't be a primary residence. Here a lot of people gone with this situation, but again, check with your city and licensor.
Blackcat31 12:21 PM 11-17-2010
Originally Posted by trb2u2u:
Is it legal to have a daycare center in a home that is used primarily for the center? Meaning we would be purchasing the home strictly for daycare use. Would really appreciate any input.
I bought a separate home strictly for childcare. It is centrally located in town just a few blocks from the elementary school. It is zoned residential since daycare isn't considered commercial. I live 7 miles out of town and come in everyday for work. No one lives here and I pay non-homesteaded property taxes. No one is here over the weekend or in the evenings, heck we don't even have adult sized furniture here. Works out great for me. I honestly wouldn't do it any other way. My kids came to "work" with me everyday when they were young and when they got old enough, they went home after school. Makes boundaries about early drop off and late pick ups a little easier for me. Also when I am closed I don't have to even think about daycare.
momofsix 07:19 PM 11-17-2010
i so WISH I could do this! Every time I drive by a cheap (forclosed!) house in my neighborhood I dream of buying it and turning it into a center. It seems like the mortgage on another building would eat all my profits though!
Blackcat31 07:38 AM 11-18-2010
Originally Posted by momofsix:
i so WISH I could do this! Every time I drive by a cheap (forclosed!) house in my neighborhood I dream of buying it and turning it into a center. It seems like the mortgage on another building would eat all my profits though!
It seems to balance out because I don't have to do the whole space percentage thing. EVERYTHING here is deductible since EVERYTHING here is business. The only complainer I have about it is my DH who has 2 lawns to mow, 2 driveways to plow, 2 houses to maintain and 2 of everything to worry about the upkeep. Other than that, separation between home and work is the ONLY way I stay sane!!
allsmiles 08:27 AM 11-21-2012
i know this is sooooooooooo old but i was interested in your experience with having your business in a separate home since this is what ive been thinking about doing. I've just become registered and plan on taking the necessary classes in child care development to become licensed which in Texas means i can keep up to 12 children. Now this SAME training would ALSO qualify me to get a director cert thru the state in which i could direct a CENTER??
soooo, i was thinking of getting a different location since it technically can and maybe i might consider hiring more employees and things and take on more than 12 (its already myself and another caregiver)
i know there are hoops to jump with the city and a business license etc..
But i also was worried about the extra utilities and mortgage/rent and staying afloat with the ups and downs of daycare enrollment. it would be nice to have my home to myself. Maybe i will try the licensed home for one year and see if i can keep a good number of kids first?

What would you say is the biggest concern or issue to consider when taking on another home as your daycare? besides the dear husbands complaints LOL
Blackcat31 08:36 AM 11-21-2012
For me personally, it is the necessity of making sure I have enough kids enrolled to pay the bills since they are all separate from my own personal home bills.

I am lucky enough that I really don't have a mortgage on my own house (where I live) and that my DH does ALL the maintanace and upkeep on the daycare house so I don't have to hire anyone to take care of that stuff.

I also think that mentally it is a great thing because I do not feel tied to my job and do not feel as though my job is constantly intertwined with my personal life.

If you have any questions (a few or alot) just PM and I will happily answer any of them that I can.

I have been in the business now for two decades and I honestly couldn't imagine doing this any other way.
allsmiles 08:43 AM 11-21-2012
thanks i will definately bug you from time to time LOL
Sugar Magnolia 09:41 AM 11-21-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I bought a separate home strictly for childcare. It is centrally located in town just a few blocks from the elementary school. It is zoned residential since daycare isn't considered commercial. I live 7 miles out of town and come in everyday for work. No one lives here and I pay non-homesteaded property taxes. No one is here over the weekend or in the evenings, heck we don't even have adult sized furniture here. Works out great for me. I honestly wouldn't do it any other way. My kids came to "work" with me everyday when they were young and when they got old enough, they went home after school. Makes boundaries about early drop off and late pick ups a little easier for me. Also when I am closed I don't have to even think about daycare.
Ditto this! Except I had to be licensed as a center.
Sugar Magnolia 09:43 AM 11-21-2012
You can bug me too! I did exactly what you are doing! PM me anytime!
DaisyMamma 09:51 AM 11-21-2012
Originally Posted by momofsix:
I do the same thing! Even rentals or any house for sale!

In regards to the original post - it depends on the state and city.
allsmiles 09:56 AM 11-21-2012
thanks sugar magnolia..
pm's soon come!!!
allsmiles 10:03 AM 11-21-2012
so just generally daisy and sugar would you say the biggest challenge is the same as black cat..
enrollment ups and downs and meeting the needs of two sets of bills?
i really didnt want to have too many employees either so i wanted to keep my enrolmment maybe 20 or less.. i dont like hiring and firing and training..ughh.. i wanna be a family home/center hybrid LOL
Sugar Magnolia 10:12 AM 11-21-2012
Originally Posted by ladyquana:
so just generally daisy and sugar would you say the biggest challenge is the same as black cat..
enrollment ups and downs and meeting the needs of two sets of bills?
i really didnt want to have too many employees either so i wanted to keep my enrolmment maybe 20 or less.. i dont like hiring and firing and training..ughh.. i wanna be a family home/center hybrid LOL
I have no trouble paying 2 sets of bills. My husband is my assistant, this makes it much financially possible for us. "Hybrid Center" exactly how we describe ourselves. We have 15 students and use a multi age approach. Definitely pm me if you want more info.
allsmiles 10:28 AM 11-21-2012
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
I have no trouble paying 2 sets of bills. My husband is my assistant, this makes it much financially possible for us. "Hybrid Center" exactly how we describe ourselves. We have 15 students and use a multi age approach. Definitely pm me if you want more info.
okay COOOOOOL!!
Tags:new daycare
Reply Up