Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Am Sick Of Sick Kids Coming In
mickey2 05:56 AM 01-14-2011
Can someone please tell me what their sick policies are?

I have one child who always seems sick! DCG 22 months old. Always a constant runny nose where I have to wipe every 2 minutes! Honestly! She snots on everything its so gross. I am constantly disinfecting toys that she plays with! Thank God she is only here for 2 hours in the morning and the 2 hours that she is here in the afternoon she sleeps.She is gone now but this morning she came in with a runny nose even more than usual and a cough. The cough is constant non stop and she has watery eyes. She felt warm but did not have a fever however I am sure that mom medicated her. She smelled of vicks. I don't think she slept well last night because she constantly yawned the whole 2 hours that she was here and she did nothing but sit in one spot looking like she was going to fall asleep.

I would like to post a letter in my entrance for parents to see on when NOT to bring their children. They all know my sick policies but a few still continue to bring their kids! This mom even told me one time that she did give the child tylenol because she was just teething

Can any of you great ladies give me some ideas on how to write this letter please.

Thank you.
dEHmom 08:32 AM 01-14-2011
These are from that http://supportingproviders.com/childcareforms3.htm

Add the runny nose thing to it and delete what you don't want from it.

A. HEALTH REQUIREMENTS. All children entering my childcare home must be up to date on all shots, unless there is a medical reason (documentation is required). All children also must have had a well child check within six months before enrolling into my childcare.
If a child is ill in any way, I will not, under any circumstances, be able to keep them. This rule is enforced not only for the protection myself, but my children as well. It is my policy to notify parents immediately when a child becomes ill and to make arrangements for the child to be picked up. I will need for the child to be picked up within one hour of my phone call.
In the event of head lice, children must be treated and nit free BEFORE returning. If a case is found in my home, a notice will be given to all parents and all heads in my home will be checked.
B. SICK/EXCLUSION POLICY. I have sought the advice of fellow childcare providers, and have come up with the following sick policy. For the health of not only my family, but also other children in my care and their families, this policy will be strictly enforced.
If a child is ill, you will need to call me by 9:00 p.m. the night before or a minimum of one hour before your contracted arrival time. Should your child become ill during his/her time in my home, you will be notified and I will determine the best way to handle the situation, which may include your child being sent home. It is in everyone's best interest that a sick child stays home. If a child has any of the symptoms listed below, they will not be permitted to attend care until 24 hours AFTER the last incidence of fever, vomiting, severe diarrhea, or until 24 full hours after medical treatment has begun as prescribed by a physician. The symptoms include:

Fever of 100 or higher
Skin rash other than diaper rash or prickly heat - child will not be allowed to come for care until a medical exam (written documentation from physician required) has indicated it is not a communicable disease.
Diarrhea - increased number and water content of stools that cannot be contained within the diaper or underwear.
Vomiting two or more times in the same day
Any parasitic infestation (lice, scabies, etc.)
Pink eye
Chicken pox - until all blisters have dried and formed scabs, usually about 6 days after the onset of the rash.
Any other communicable disease (tuberculosis, etc.)
! NOTE: A good rule of thumb to follow is if you have to give your child any medication to relieve any of the above-mentioned symptoms before you bring them, PLEASE KEEP THEM HOME!
Further, there are times when a child is not that ill, but is uncomfortable and really needs the comfort of home. For example, until 24 hours after the first dose of antibiotic to treat ear infection; or when irritability strong cough, and a thick nasal discharge are present during the tail end of an upper respiratory infection. At those times, I will strongly urge you to keep your child at home, and may insist on it. I ask that when deciding if your child should come, please give consideration to the health of the other children, my family, and me. My pediatrician tells me that the first two days of illness are generally the most contagious time. Although winter runny noses are somewhat unavoidable, please use your best judgment, and call me if you are unsure. If you repeatedly attempt to bring an obviously ill child, this may be grounds for termination of childcare services.

Children suspected of having a communicable disease will not be able to come into my home. In the event a communicable disease develops during the day, the child’s parents will be contacted immediately for the child to be picked up. Children must leave my home within one hour of my phone call.
When your child is sent home from care for any one of the Following Reasons listed Below, you will receive a doctor's referral. This form must be completed, signed by the physician and stamped with the physician's license number before your child may return to care. A note on a physician's prescription letterhead is also acceptable.
Communicable Diseases:
1) Chicken Pox
2) Pink Eye
3) Any parasitic infestation (lice, scabies, etc.)
Although I am trained in infant and child CPR, basic first aid, and recognition of communicable childhood diseases, I do not pretend to be a doctor, and will not under any circumstances provide any medications, including vitamins unless a “Permission to Administer Medication” form is filled out. You must provide any and all medications for your child. I will not send a child home with a common cold, unless accompanied by a fever or other severe symptoms. However, many times when young children are ill, they may not exhibit “classic” signs of the illness (fever, vomiting, etc.) but will be excessively fussy and/or require constant cuddling and attention.
While I believe in providing as much cuddling as desired, if a child is ill and requires my undivided attention this distracts from my ability to provide quality care to all the children in the group. Therefore, if your child reaches a point when he/she requires constant attention, will not play, cries continuously, whines and wants to be held constantly, etc., then your child will need to stay home.
You should expect that any time a new child is introduced to the group, colds and other minor illnesses are likely to occur until everyone’s immune systems have adjusted to the new exposures. Also, advise me whenever a member of your family has an illness so that I can be alert to the possibility of symptoms developing in the child or group.
Children may return to care only at such time as they will not longer endanger the health of other children. They must be able to participate in daily activities, and the following conditions must have been met.
Absence of fever for 24 hours
Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea has subsided for 24 hours
Children must have been on antibiotics for a period of 24 hours
Physician has approved readmission into care
Chicken pox lesions are completely crusted over
Scabies are under treatment
Lice are under treatment, and no nits are present on hair
Pinworm treatment has occurred 24 hours before readmission
Lesions from impetigo are no longer weeping
Conjunctivitis has diminished and been treated to the point that the eyes are no longer discharging
The child has completed the contagious stage of the illness.
Please note that no child will be readmitted after a communicable disease without a statement from a medical facility or physician.
C. MEDICATIONS. If your child is taking medication, please be sure to sign a release to administer medication form. I CANNOT administer medication to ANY child without this release being signed. All medication must remain in the original container and be properly labeled with the child’s full name, date prescription was filled, medication expiration date, and legible instructions for administration. Please do not leave the medication in the diaper bag - hand deliver to me.
For non-prescription medication, the following can be given with permission from the parents, only at the dose & for the duration & method of administration specified on the manufacturer's label for the age and/or weight of the child needing the medication.
Antihistamines
Tylenol
Decongestants
Anti-itching ointments/lotions
Diaper ointments/lotions
Non-narcotic cough suppressants
Non-prescription oral medications may not be administered for more than five consecutive days. All non-prescription topical ointments, creams, or lotions may not be administered for more than seven consecutive days when used for skin irritations.
I am required to have syrup of ipecac in the first-aid kit that may be administered only when following verbal instructions of the poison control center or a physician. All administrations of medications will be documented on an Incident Report, and placed in the child’s file.

Parents Signature:_________________________________________________ Date:____________________

Parents Signature:_________________________________________________ Date:____________________

Providers Signature:_______________________________________________ Date:____________________

OR

Illness Policy
PARENTS AGREE TO KEEP THEIR CHILD/CHILDREN AT HOME OR SEEK ALTERNATE CARE ARRANGEMENTS FOR THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS:
Pain - any complaints of unexplained or undiagnosed pain
Fever (100°F/38.3°C or higher)
Sore throat or trouble swallowing
Headache or stiff neck
Unexplained diarrhea or loose stool combined with nausea, vomiting or abdominal cramps. The child will be kept at home until all symptoms have stopped.
Nausea or vomiting
Sever itching of body and scalp
Known or suspected communicable diseases.

IT IS REQUIRED TO KEEP (OR TAKE) A CHILD HOME WHEN THE CHILD:
Is suffering from one or more of the above symptoms
Is not well enough to take part in the activities at the daycare

ULTIMATELY THE CARE OF THE CHILD IS THE PARENT'S RESPONSIBILITY

Parents will inform the daycare within 24 hours of a diagnosis of a serious illness or contagious disease of a communicable nature in the family.* This is to protect my family and the other families who attend the daycare.* Failure to do so is grounds for immediate termination of care.
Parents agree that a child will be symptom free, without the aid of symptom reducing medications such as Tylenol, for a full 24 hours prior to returning to daycare.* We reserve the right to ask for a note from your family doctor, depending on the illness/disease.
MEDICATIONS:
Prescription medications will only be given to a child in care with the following conditions:
Parent gives written permission to the caregiver, with full instructions as to dosage, and times to administer medication. (forms are available from the daycare for this purpose)
All prescribed medications must have the child's name on the prescription bottle.
Non-prescription medications will be administered as per recommended dosages on medicine bottle.

CARE OF A SICK CHILD AND NOTIFICATION OF PARENTS
When a child becomes ill, I will make the child comfortable in a quiet place where he/she can rest and will be closely supervised.
Parents will be notified immediately and agree to begin to making alternate work arrangements or arrangements for alternate care. If your child is seriously ill, you or an alternate must come for the child IMMEDIATELY.* If I cannot reach a parent, I will call an emergency contact listed on the registration form or the child's doctor may be contacted depending on the seriousness of the illness.
dEHmom 08:39 AM 01-14-2011
ILLNESSES REQUIRING EXCLUSION FROM DAY CARE

Fever, defined by the child’s age as follows until medical evaluation indicates inclusion:
Infants 4 months old and younger – rectal temperature greater than 101º F or auxiliary (armpit) temperature greater than 100º F even if there is no change in their behavior.
Infants and children older than 4 months (accompanied by behavior changes or other signs or symptoms of illness) – rectal temperature of 102º F or greater, oral temperature of 101º F or greater, or auxiliary (armpit) temperature of 100º F or greater.
Signs possible severe illness, including unusual lethargy, irritability, persistent crying, difficult breathing.
Uncontrolled diarrhea, defined as an increased number of stools compared with the child’s normal pattern, with increased stool water and/or decreased form that is not contained by the diaper or toilet use.
Vomiting two or more times in the previous 24 hours unless the vomiting is determined to be due to a non-communicable condition and the child is not in danger of dehydration.
Mouth sores with drooling unless the child’s physician or local health department authority states the child is non-infectious.
Rash with fever or behavior change until a physician has determined the illness not to be a communicable disease.
Purulent conjunctivitis, defined as pink or red conjunctiva with white or yellow eye discharge, often with matted eyelids after sleep, and including a child with eye pain or redness of the eyelids or skin surrounding the eye.
Infestation (e.g., scabies, head lice), until 24 hours after treatment was begun.
Tuberculosis, until the child’s physician or local health department authority states the child is non-infectious.
Impetigo, until 24 hours after treatment was begun.
Streptococcal pharyngitis, until 24 hours after treatment has been initiated, and until the child has been afebrile for 24 hours.
Ringworm infection (tinea capitis, tinea corporis, tinea crusis, and tinea pedis) until 24 hours after treatment was begun.
Shingles, only if the sores cannot be covered by clothing or a dressing, until the sores have crusted.
Pertussis, which is laboratory confirmed, or suspected based on symptoms of the illness, or suspected because of cough onset with 14 days after having face-to-face contact with a laboratory confirmed case or pertussis in a household or classroom, until 5 days of appropriate chemoprophylaxis (currently, erythromycin) has been completed.
Mumps, until 9 days after onset of parotid gland swelling.
Hepatitis A virus infection, until 1 week after onset or illness or until after immune serum globulin has been given to appropriate children and staff in the program, as directed by the responsible health department.
Measles until 6 days after the rash appears.
Rubella until 6 days after the rash appears.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us PRIOR to bringing your child to day care.
dEHmom 08:59 AM 01-14-2011
Me again, but I found this one and liked it much much better. Shorter and to the point.

You can choose whether to post as a notice, or have signed. OR you can post and have each parent sign it on the same form. If they choose not to sign it, then you can decide whether to term.

EXCLUSION POLICY

Control of communicable disease should be all parties primary concern.

Policies and guidelines related to outbreaks of communicable diseases and illnesses in this facility have been developed with the help of the local health department and local pediatricians in order to protect the group as a whole as well as the health of your own child. I ask that parents assist me by keeping sick children at home. If they have or have experienced any of the following symptoms in the past 24 hours they need to be kept at home and away from this facility.

A fever of 100* orally or 99 under the arm.
Signs of a newly developed cough or a severe cough.
Diarrhea, vomiting, or an upset stomach.
Unusual or unexplained loss of appetite, fatigue, irritability, or headache.
Any discharge or drainage form the eyes, nose, ears, or open sores.

Children who show signs or symptoms listed above will be returned home ASAP. I appreciate your cooperation with this policy.

If you have any questions concerning this policy and whether your child should attend, please call me at ***-***x before bringing your child to the childcare.

I have read and understand this policy.

______________________________________ _________________
Parent Signature Date

kendallina 09:09 AM 01-14-2011
This is what mine says. I would say you could exclude under the " Has other illness or condition that may be contagious or may prevent the child from participating in regular preschool routines" clause. But, you maybe would just want to add your own booger clause. I thought I had a booger clause in here...hmm. Might have to change that.

Children are unable to attend preschool under the following circumstances:

• Fever 100 or higher (before giving medication) in the last 24 hours

• Vomiting more than once in last 24 hours

• Diarrhea within the last 24 hours

• Pink eye (keep home until eye is no longer draining)

• Chicken pox (keep home until no longer contagious per doctor's recommendation)

• Bacterial infection (keep home until on antibiotics for 24 hours)

• Has unexplained lethargy or is unable to participate in activities

• Head lice (keep home until all nits and eggs are gone child will be checked upon returning to the program)

• Has other illness or condition that may be contagious or may prevent the child from participating in regular preschool routines

***Please remember: your child MUST be fever free, vomit free and diarrhea free for 24 hours before returning to the program***
Unregistered 08:45 AM 01-17-2012
Can I vent please?

I am so sick of all of these sick kids coming to my house, wiping their noses on my furniture, being whiny, crying, etc etc. Can these parents not look at their kids and see that they are too sick to be here? If your infant has a runny nose, and is coughing, sneezing, and extremely whiny, perhaps you should take your child to the dr. I have sick kid guidelines, but the fever is below 101, and the snot isn't green or yellow, so technically they are allowed to come, but I am so over it. Then they get everyone else, including my own kids sick- is it horrible to sequester a 12 month old who is sick in the greater interest of the group? Ugh!

Maybe I am just mad because today, this one kid came 10 minutes early before 7am, and I had 2 kids just show up without notice (I needed the money so I didnt say anything), and the early kid is clearly sick. I have a headache, and I just plain feel claustrophobic, like im surrounded by germs and illness and whiny kids whose parents dont know them well enough or care enough to take 1 day off of work and nurture their sick child. Are you kidding me people?

What do you guys do when sick kids (who are within the guidelines) come anyway? PS: the reason I think everyone is sick is bc another mom brought her sick kid, took him to the dr, and brought him the next day, even though he was on antibiotics and it hadn't been 24 hors- I didnt know he was on meds or I wouldnt have let him come in- she slipped and told me later. I sent out another copy of my guidelines but who knows if these parents even read it. So mad ugh!
cheerfuldom 10:11 AM 01-17-2012
I have additional verbiage stating that if a child is too sick to participate in the daily routine, they will be sent home regardless of temperature, etc. They should be napping only at nap time, able to play at play time, etc.

As for the constant runny nose, some kids are like that all the time. It could be allergies but it could just be them. I had one drop in that was like that for all 3 years I knew him. I never would have taken him for a full timer because the snottiness was just too gross for me to handle on a daily basis.
Ariana 10:22 AM 01-17-2012
None of what you're describing would exclude them from my home. If I excluded kids for runny noses or slight coughs I'd have no kids...like ever!! A lot of it can be allergies or if it's cold where you are it could be dry air from the furnace etc.

I only exclude for contagious diseases, fevers, green snotty nose, more than slight cough, unexplained rash, unable to partcipate in program and when first beginning antibiotics. All of these need a DR's note before returning to care. I've only had to exclude one child once this year.
quailsgarden 02:23 PM 01-17-2012
One of my friends recently switched her child from a family daycare to a group center. They have been at the center for 4 months and the child has been constantly sick with all sorts of illnesses. I ended up finding out that my friend was giving her child advil to get rid of the fever so the child could still attend daycare and Mom didn't have to take time off work. This might be a stretch but maybe some of the parents are doing this.

My policy is pretty detailed. For the parents it might seem like alot of information all at once but when it comes to a child's health it just makes it easier in the long run. I also make the parent keep their child at home if they are unable to participate in regular routine. After hearing my friends story I have added that to my policy as well. Medicating to mask illness would result in immediate termination of care.
cheerfuldom 03:07 PM 01-17-2012
Quail....I am guessing you are new to daycare.... A LOT of parents medicate and send their child to daycare. I think most of us here have run into that. You can tell when the symptoms come full force about 3 to 4 hours after drop off. I terminate for masking illness as well.
Daycare mommy 9 07:02 PM 09-13-2013
Originally Posted by Ariana:
None of what you're describing would exclude them from my home. If I excluded kids for runny noses or slight coughs I'd have no kids...like ever!! A lot of it can be allergies or if it's cold where you are it could be dry air from the furnace etc.

I only exclude for contagious diseases, fevers, green snotty nose, more than slight cough, unexplained rash, unable to partcipate in program and when first beginning antibiotics. All of these need a DR's note before returning to care. I've only had to exclude one child once this year.
I agree with this completely. How can you expect parents to take off a week from work because their child has a runny nose. The common cold lasts 1 week and kids get these a few times a year. It is unrealistic and disappointing that so many providers make parents take off work, lose money or their vac/sick time because of a common cold that they probably got from your house. I'm thankful my provider is realistic.
lovemylife 08:26 PM 09-13-2013
It can absolutely be gross! Especially when they wipe it on the furniture, wipe their nose with their hand then touch the toys. But to me it sounds like allergies. In Iowa the last few weeks the pollen count has been over 10! Allergies show as running nose, watery/itchy/puffy eyes and cough (from drainage). A lot of my kiddos (including myself) have been suffering for the last few weeks. It is a pain to constantly disinfect!!!! The last few weeks I have felt like all I do I wash hands, wipe noses and disinfect. I personally can't wait until fall/winter!

Good luck!
MamaBear 08:49 PM 09-13-2013
Constant runny noses drive me insane. Especially when they have the bubble coming out the nose. ICK!

This is what I have in my contract regarding illnesses:

It is my hope to keep the daycare home and children as germ free and sick free as possible, so please do not bring your child to the daycare if he or she has a contagious illness. You cannot bring them to the daycare home until they have been cleared by a doctor stating that they are no longer contagious and that they can be around other children (Usually 24 hours after antibiotic treatment has begun and/or 24 hours after symptoms have subsided).

If your child has a contagious illness, they cannot come to the daycare until:
1. They have been cleared by a doctor stating that they are no longer contagious and are clear to be around other children (Usually 24-48 hours after antibiotic treatment has begun and/or 24-48 hours after symptoms have subsided: Depending on the illness).
2. When I, the Daycare Provider, give the final “ok” for the child to return to the daycare, per my own daycare policies.

If your child is ill over a weekend or when away from the daycare, please be sure to let me know so that I can be aware in case the other children have possibly been exposed to a contagious illness.

If your child has a sibling (that is not enrolled in my daycare) and they are diagnosed with a contagious illness, please let me know so that I can be aware in case your child (who is enrolled in the daycare) starts to show symptoms. Sometimes it takes a few days before symptoms show up depending on the diagnosis, so you will need to keep a close eye on your child and use your best judgment to determine if they indeed have it as well. I strongly advise that you have the child (who is enrolled in my daycare) also evaluated by a doctor along with their sibling, to be sure that they do not have the same illness.

If I, the Daycare Provider, feel that your child is too sick to be at the daycare, I will call you to pick up your child ASAP. If your child has a fever of 100º or higher, I will be calling you to pick up your child ASAP. Your child must be picked up within that hour that I call notifying you of the illness.

Your child must be fever free for a minimum of 24 hours before returning to the daycare. For example, if your child has a fever at noon at the daycare and is sent home, he cannot return to the daycare the next day. If his fever breaks the next day while he is home, he may return the following day. The child must be fever free to return to daycare. This means fever free without the aid of a fever reducing substance.

Giving your child Tylenol or any other fever reducing medication to reduce the fever before arriving to daycare in the morning is unacceptable because the fever will be masked for a couple hours but will reappear once again and the child will still have to be sent home. Also by medicating your child without notifying me gives the risk of your child being overdosed on fever reducing medication. This could happen if you give him Tylenol and do not notify me and then I also give him Tylenol not knowing you already did ~ this could cause an overdose.

Examples of Illnesses where children cannot come to daycare:
***NOTE***
These are just "examples" of known illnesses of when your child needs to stay out of daycare. Each individual case is different & may require more or less time out ~ but will always require a doctor’s note stating that the child is well & non-contagious in order to return to daycare. If you feel that your child is sick with a contagious illness, please verify with a doctor that your child is clear to come to daycare before bringing him/her to the daycare. This is for the protection of your child, all other daycare children present and the daycare provider.

I hope maybe that helps
lovemylife 09:09 PM 09-13-2013
I can understand to some degree why providers expect a doctors note from parents to return to daycare. But I don't require it. I do have in my contract that if I feel a doctors note is necessary then one must be provided before the child can return to my care. So far I have never had to use that part of my contract, which I am grateful for! My daughter was in daycare the first 9 months of her life. Her daycare provider require a doctors note every time she was sick. As an infant this happened about once a month. Which is normal for an infant. Our copay is $50 for an office visit! So we spent roughly $400 to get a doctors note for each cold. Granted one time she did have gastrointestinal flu which required hospitalization. That I completely understand needing a doctors note!!!!
Blackcat31 07:39 AM 09-14-2013
Originally Posted by lovemylife:
I can understand to some degree why providers expect a doctors note from parents to return to daycare. But I don't require it. I do have in my contract that if I feel a doctors note is necessary then one must be provided before the child can return to my care. So far I have never had to use that part of my contract, which I am grateful for! My daughter was in daycare the first 9 months of her life. Her daycare provider require a doctors note every time she was sick. As an infant this happened about once a month. Which is normal for an infant. Our copay is $50 for an office visit! So we spent roughly $400 to get a doctors note for each cold. Granted one time she did have gastrointestinal flu which required hospitalization. That I completely understand needing a doctors note!!!!
Wow! that is really sad.... and ALOT of money spent unnecessarily.

I have a pretty strict (?) illness policy but the guidelines differ GREATLY for kids under 15 months.

I try really hard to apply each child's individuality to my rules.

I require a doctor's note but ONLY for things that are long lasting and/or contagious.

Common colds are COMMON but that doesn't mean I have to accept a child who continually wipes snot on EVERYTHING....this is where the individual circumstances come into play.

For me, when it comes to mild ailments and colds, exclusion is entirely based on my knowledge of the situation, the child's ability to manage the illness, including behavior and the parents attention to the matter.
MamaBear 08:26 AM 09-14-2013
Yeah I only require doctors notes on a case by case basis... common colds no. But like yesterday I had a child with pink eye and I DO require one for that. It's the yucky contagious illness that I am really strict with.
Unregistered 10:42 AM 03-05-2014
I find in my home daycare that the majority follow the health policy however I have one family who are consistently dismissive of their child's health. My policy also states not well enough to participate in the normal activities of the day. 1 yr old double ear infection up all night went to dr in am - dose with antibiotics and arrived right from visit! Not contagious but where is their head- don't they reLize that this child should be home? Same family child throws up everywhere during lunch - immediately contact parents - middle of calming upset children - all are concerned their friend threw up and changing her clothes when parent arrives and claims she sometimes gags on her food! Low tide diarreha- sent child home- brings her the next day she acting fine she just wants to be here- so uncomfortable to parent a parent. I love working with children and it is absolutely not a child's fault so I love them even more. It's inconvenient for some people to be parents. The same ones who claim teething gives high fevers - you teeth until 12 you see any 7 year olds cutting a tooth with a fever? No two things are happening and they just explain it away. I am not grossed out by illness I'll catch their vomit- I just feel so upset that they don't love their kids enough to care for them properly and they lack the respect for others in my care.
parent 06:58 AM 01-07-2016
If I had to keep my children home every time they had a runny nose, they'd rarely ever be in daycare in the winter. As a provider, I would think you would be accustomed to dealing with runny noses, and less "grossed out" by it as you seem to be. If the parents who trust you with their children saw your post, I can't imagine they would feel good about the care you're giving them. A fever is one thing, but runny noses are a fact of life with small children.
Put yourself in the parents' shoes. Could YOU afford to stay home every day your child had a runny nose? The answer is, nobody could. This is like complaining that a baby has too many dirty diapers....
Rockgirl 07:08 AM 01-07-2016
Originally Posted by parent:
If I had to keep my children home every time they had a runny nose, they'd rarely ever be in daycare in the winter. As a provider, I would think you would be accustomed to dealing with runny noses, and less "grossed out" by it as you seem to be. If the parents who trust you with their children saw your post, I can't imagine they would feel good about the care you're giving them. A fever is one thing, but runny noses are a fact of life with small children.
Put yourself in the parents' shoes. Could YOU afford to stay home every day your child had a runny nose? The answer is, nobody could. This is like complaining that a baby has too many dirty diapers....
1) This post is 5 years old.

2) OP stated the child's nose was runnier than normal, plus had an almost constant cough and watery eyes. We providers are accustomed to normal runny noses, but this was more than that.
MunchkinWrangler 01:44 PM 01-07-2016
Originally Posted by parent:
Lol, but you know what's funny? Everyone has dragged their sick kids to my home for care all month. My own son spiked a fever last night, everyone avoided my house today like the plague. I'm positive he caught it from one of their kids because of masking illness and whatnot, but it's laughable at the double standard! Don't you think?
I have a job to do everyday as a provider that is just as important as yours, the only difference is that I don't leave my home for it and it's hard to take an unexpected day off as well. The only family that seemd upset were the ones that have an option of working from home. Granted, it is a fever and I would exclude other children for it, still makes me wonder where he got it from, though!
CynthiaJesus 10:43 AM 10-27-2016
Hey, mickey2, I have read your post and first i want you to know that What is Bronchitis? Bronchitis is an inflammation of the lining of your bronchial tubes, which carry air to and from your lungs. People who have bronchitis often cough up thickened mucus, which can be discolored, white, yellow-grey or green. There are two types of bronchitis. Chronic Bronchitis means your airways are irritated over and over. This type lasts for a few months or longer, and usually comes back year after year. Things that irritate your lungs, like dust, chemicals, or smoke from a fire or cigarettes, usually cause it. Chronic bronchitis isn’t contagious, but it’s a serious health problem that requires a doctor’s care. Acute Bronchitis can last for 1 to 3 weeks. It’s usually caused by cold or flu viruses. Since these viruses are contagious, acute bronchitis usually is, too. Often developing from a cold or other respiratory infection, acute bronchitis is very common. Chronic bronchitis, a more serious condition, is a constant irritation or inflammation of the lining of the bronchial tubes, often the smoker’s cough. Acute bronchitis usually is self-correcting condition which improves within a few days without lasting effects, although you may continue to cough for weeks. However, if you have repeated episodes of bronchitis for most of the days in three months per year: you may have chronic bronchitis, which requires medical attention. Chronic bronchitis is one of the conditions included in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
Now as your concern <a href="https://www.healthunits.com/bronchitis/is-bronchitis-contagious-2/"> Is Bronchitis Contagious? </a> Acute Bronchitis is Contagious and Chronic Bronchitis is not Contagious.
Rockgirl 10:56 AM 10-27-2016
Originally Posted by CynthiaJesus:
Hey, mickey2, I have read your post and first i want you to know that What is Bronchitis? Bronchitis is an inflammation of the lining of your bronchial tubes, which carry air to and from your lungs. People who have bronchitis often cough up thickened mucus, which can be discolored, white, yellow-grey or green. There are two types of bronchitis. Chronic Bronchitis means your airways are irritated over and over. This type lasts for a few months or longer, and usually comes back year after year. Things that irritate your lungs, like dust, chemicals, or smoke from a fire or cigarettes, usually cause it. Chronic bronchitis isn’t contagious, but it’s a serious health problem that requires a doctor’s care. Acute Bronchitis can last for 1 to 3 weeks. It’s usually caused by cold or flu viruses. Since these viruses are contagious, acute bronchitis usually is, too. Often developing from a cold or other respiratory infection, acute bronchitis is very common. Chronic bronchitis, a more serious condition, is a constant irritation or inflammation of the lining of the bronchial tubes, often the smoker’s cough. Acute bronchitis usually is self-correcting condition which improves within a few days without lasting effects, although you may continue to cough for weeks. However, if you have repeated episodes of bronchitis for most of the days in three months per year: you may have chronic bronchitis, which requires medical attention. Chronic bronchitis is one of the conditions included in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
Now as your concern <a href="https://www.healthunits.com/bronchitis/is-bronchitis-contagious-2/"> Is Bronchitis Contagious? </a> Acute Bronchitis is Contagious and Chronic Bronchitis is not Contagious.
The original post, the one you are addressing, was posted almost 6 years ago. I don't think mickey will see this. And I'm betting that runny nose cleared up awhile back.
Ariana 11:40 AM 10-27-2016
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
The original post, the one you are addressing, was posted almost 6 years ago. I don't think mickey will see this. And I'm betting that runny nose cleared up awhile back.
Oh goodness that statement made me feel REAL old
Unregistered8 10:22 AM 01-31-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:

Thank you I was researching about sick children of daycares because my son was just tested positive of influenza A and B, and I know it was from daycare provider was the first I saw sick so I was looking into it. This thread had little to do with my research but definitely kept my attention to see the complaints of caregivers I'm so happy she isn't my caregiver I'm so sorry she is so disturbed by a child whose immune system must be a tad weaker then other's but I'm glad of your comment because seeing others response shocked me as well.
I'm a working mom and my son had chronic runny nose from 3 months till 16 months due to his enlarged adenoids. surgery had to be done to fix the issue. I would admit it was tough having to be on top of keeping him clean but he wasn't contagious and I feel the proper thing the provider should have done is ask the parent and have them bring a note from doctor which is what I did for my provider.
But it seems she just lacks care for the child so yeah the new and improved policy might be best.

Finding someone to watch your kid is the hardest thing for a parent. Sometimes you even have to settle for a convenient location rather then best care. So it would be nice if providers would be more sensitive/ understanding to the needs of the parents and child.
Blackcat31 01:04 PM 01-31-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered8:
Thank you I was researching about sick children of daycares because my son was just tested positive of influenza A and B, and I know it was from daycare provider was the first I saw sick so I was looking into it. This thread had little to do with my research but definitely kept my attention to see the complaints of caregivers I'm so happy she isn't my caregiver I'm so sorry she is so disturbed by a child whose immune system must be a tad weaker then other's but I'm glad of your comment because seeing others response shocked me as well.
You are aware that it isn't just those that ARE physically sick that spread germs, viruses and illnesses right?

If you work outside the home YOU could have brought the virus into the daycare and been the one that got the daycare provider sick.

I'm a working mom and my son had chronic runny nose from 3 months till 16 months due to his enlarged adenoids. surgery had to be done to fix the issue. I would admit it was tough having to be on top of keeping him clean but he wasn't contagious and I feel the proper thing the provider should have done is ask the parent and have them bring a note from doctor which is what I did for my provider.
Even you admit that staying on top of it for ONE child was tough but yet you were/are expecting the provider to do the same WHILE caring for other children....

....and note's from the Dr? Yeah, the Dr isn't the one providing care OR worrying about all the other children and families in care. (S)He is worried only about getting you/your sick child out of his/her office.

Most Dr's will write notes stating a child is not contagious just because the parent asks. It's VERY common.

I also want to note that contagiousness is NOT the only reason a child can be excluded either so for sake of argument even if your child wasn't contagious he still may not have been "ready" to return to care.

But it seems she just lacks care for the child so yeah the new and improved policy might be best.
What you see as a lack of care for an individual child is really care and concern for the GROUP of children that attend her program. Parents rarely see or understand that concept and I'll admit from a parent perspective it does come appear as if the provider might not care but from the provider's perspective...we can't please everyone so we do what's best for ALL, even if that means making a couple parent's upset.

Finding someone to watch your kid is the hardest thing for a parent. Sometimes you even have to settle for a convenient location rather then best care. So it would be nice if providers would be more sensitive/ understanding to the needs of the parents and child.
Nope. As a parent I would never put convenience ahead of quality. It's your child, not your dry cleaning.

So it would nice if parents would be more sensitive and understanding to the needs of providers that work their butts off, many times putting their own family last in order to meet the needs of daycare parents and their children.
lovemykidstoo 06:35 PM 01-31-2018
A friend of mine works at the school and just posted this on FB, so I posted it on my daycare FB page. Sometimes you need pictures to drive the point home.
Attached: illness.jpg (87.0 KB) 
BrynleeJean 12:28 PM 02-01-2018
I had the same issue with one of my previous families, it seemed like one or both of their kids were ALWAYS kids, if not with something like strep and were actually on antibiotics, then they were just runny nosed messes. coughing on everyone and id get the "its just allergies" bit all the time.

i didnt term the family though if i had them again it would have gone differently. theres this paper on pinterest that says "when to keep your child home" its like when they just don't feel good or have fever and stuff and it has pictures so its there for parents to see everyday. but also it would be in my policies that simply, "if it every became an issue that the parent was bring their child to the daycare knowing they were ill, that childs contract would be terminated."
Because simply that family is putting your other kids and you at constant risk of illness with no regard for you.

and its your job to look out for 1. you and your family 2. your daycare as a whole and the kidS in it 3. the individual families you care for
Tags:sick, sick policy, sick policy samples, sickness
Reply Up