Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:17 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default Green Cleaners/Disinfectant

I'm in the process of getting licensed and I need a disinfectant and I'm not using bleach since I'm an eco friendly childcare.

The product is not bleach has to have one of the following in it:
1. Benzalkonium chloride
2. Dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride
3. Dodecyl dimethyl ammonium chloride

Does anyone use a non toxic cleaner with one of these in here? Would love some ideas. I was hoping to use my 7th Generation cleaner that's a disinfectant and it doesn't use one of these.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:35 AM

I use Shaklee cleaning products and I tried to find info to see if any of those ingredients were in them but I doubt they are.

My standards just state that the cleaning agent (if not bleach) just has to be EPA approved as a disinfectant.

Have you talked to your licensing rep to see if there are any exceptions?
Old 08-31-2010, 10:46 AM
Family Childcare Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by WImom View Post
I'm in the process of getting licensed and I need a disinfectant and I'm not using bleach since I'm an eco friendly childcare.

The product is not bleach has to have one of the following in it:
1. Benzalkonium chloride
2. Dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride
3. Dodecyl dimethyl ammonium chloride

Does anyone use a non toxic cleaner with one of these in here? Would love some ideas. I was hoping to use my 7th Generation cleaner that's a disinfectant and it doesn't use one of these.
I'm not exactly eco-friendly but I am in the process of becoming eco-healthy certified and one of the requirements is that I only use bleach when licensing requires it, which in my state it does. I'm pretty sure that if you contacted your local licensing agency they could recommend whatever it is that they approve as a disinfectant. I use bleach as a disinfectant after cleaning up after the kids go home and on weekends to disinfect the toys and such so that they are not exposed.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:57 AM

i don't think you will find one after reading this.

http://www.ewg.org/healthyhometips/greencleaning

edit; can you use chlorine-free bleach?

http://www.thegoodhuman.com/2007/10/...ves-to-bleach/
Old 08-31-2010, 11:48 AM
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com

SpectraSan 24
http://www.spectrasan.com/find-out-more/touch-surfaces/clinicals/

EPA-registered Disinfection Claims
http://www.spectrasan.com/epa-regist...tion-claims-2/
Old 08-31-2010, 12:27 PM
Daycare.com Senior Member

In my state we aren't required to use a certain kind of cleaning product. I use in my kitchen a spray that is bleach free but it disinfects and disinfects up to 99.9% from virus and flu. In my daycare room I use the Lysol wipes because it's easier for a quick clean up during the day. I do it at nap times. I do clean my toys on weekends in a bleach water.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:24 PM

I also don't want to use the bleach cause it gives me headaches. I see Simple Green makes something but I'd have to order it online. It does bug me that the letter my licenser found was dated 1998. You'd think they could have updated it since then now that there are alot more products available for green cleaning.

Quincy - thanks for that article. I'm going to be showing my licenser that at my walk through. So really it's those chemicals are just as bad as bleach. I may have a fight on my hands.

Edited to add - I just emailed her so we shall see. I sent the link about the ingredients they said are approved. I also asked about the non-chlorine bleach.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:38 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Just placed an order for Spectrasan. Anxious to see how it works!

Tags
bleach, eco-friendly